Amish Mustard Eggs ...My Mom said to share this with you guys...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Bumping an oldie but goodie for some of the newer members. I was just given a bunch of nice clean one gallon glass pickle jars. They are going to make amazing jars for ferments but last night my mind went straight to these mustard eggs. Fit 4 dozen in one jar. I subbed in Splenda for the sugar. View attachment 669069
I Saw this thread for the first time, today. I was hoping you would chime in on the sugar. Did you use the same quantity of splenda to sugar? Were they sweet? I would rather err on the vinegar side as opposed to sweet.

I Saw this thread for the first time, today. I was hoping you would chime in on the sugar. Did you use the same quantity of splenda to sugar? Were they sweet? I would rather err on the vinegar side as opposed to sweet.
I is 1:1, they are tangy sweet sour. Maybe cut in half and then add after 72 hours if you want

Reactions: clifish
Could not find a glass container that would fit without forcing them so just using a bowl. Looking forward to trying them.

IMG_20230703_125944971.jpg IMG_20230703_130038091_HDR.jpg

Reactions: 801driver
I made them once and will again. The problem I had, besides peeling eggs, was the mustard kind of clotted up and didn't mix in. It just floated on top until I flipped the jar, then it eventually found it's way to the top again. Not real sure the brand I used, but it was just plain yellow mustard. Took a very long time for the eggs to turn yellow.

I made them once and will again. The problem I had, besides peeling eggs, was the mustard kind of clotted up and didn't mix in. It just floated on top until I flipped the jar, then it eventually found it's way to the top again. Not real sure the brand I used, but it was just plain yellow mustard. Took a very long time for the eggs to turn yellow.
Interesting, you did boil the mixture?Mine separates very little and usually only the first day. I do give the jar a shake or two every few days.

I have recently seen this thread and it is a must make. I will have to explain to my wife why we need twice the normal amount of eggs on our next trip to the supermarket.

Shake the jar it will mix together after a couple times.

Warren

Reactions: jcam222
Did about 20 eggs in a one gallon glass pickle jar. Now past 72hrs, have tried three, yep one after only 24hrs. They are great. My GF who has never had a pickled egg said "Woo, very vinegary". Well yes, that is why they call them "Pickled eggs" Ha. She asked for a second one.
I think mine are great. I used no food coloring, put in a pinch of Turmeric and about a tablespoon of jared minced garlic in this batch to boil the sauce up and like it. Will keep a designated space in the garage refrigerator at all times for these.

Thanks for resurrecting this older thread and bringing it back on top.

Did about 20 eggs in a one gallon glass pickle jar. Now past 72hrs, have tried three, yep one after only 24hrs. They are great. My GF who has never had a pickled egg said "Woo, very vinegary". Well yes, that is why they call them "Pickled eggs" Ha. She asked for a second one.
I think mine are great. I used no food coloring, put in a pinch of Turmeric and about a tablespoon of jared minced garlic in this batch to boil the sauce up and like it. Will keep a designated space in the garage refrigerator at all times for these.

Thanks for resurrecting this older thread and bringing it back on top

Thanks for resurrecting this older thread and bringing it back on top.
Glad you like them! I've used tumeric for the color before too. Garlic is likely a nice add. I have done batches with jalapeno slices added too. I may do that with a couple habanero or ghost peppers when I pick a few.

Gave these a try this morning, they are sitting in the fridge now. I like pickled eggs and the yellow twist to them is interesting :)
Added carrots, onion and garlic with a few tashes of hot sauce for good luck.
20231124_140119.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Chris_in_SoCal
I've read this thread, or have at least seen it before and never made them... that's gonna change! So a couple of questions... are you mostly using original recipe or the change with brown sugar? Also, if I placed them under vacuum... would the wait time be shortened?

Ryan

I've read this thread, or have at least seen it before and never made them... that's gonna change! So a couple of questions... are you mostly using original recipe or the change with brown sugar? Also, if I placed them under vacuum... would the wait time be shortened?

Ryan
I just sub Splenda and these are good to eat within just a few days.

Reactions: Brokenhandle
For me I just used the oridginal with white suger. Only thing different was adding carrots, onion and garlic with a few tashes of hot sauce.
I actually made a double batch and have it in a mason jar so it will be ready to goes If I have the desire to make more.

Reactions: Brokenhandle
Truthfully I am not impressed with these. I like mustard but the overly power of mustard into the eggs is not to my liking. I will stick to normal pickled eggs from now on.
20231128_184457.jpg

First time seeing this. Looks Amazing so I had to try. I didn’t have food coloring or turmeric so went with out. Only had powdered hot mustard so that is what I used and added some Yellow Bird Habanero hot sauce to it. The sauce tasted good!! Going to be hard to wait 3 days for these!!!

IMG_5230.jpeg

Reactions: jcam222
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky