Amazon knives for cutting meat ????

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

scsmoker843

Original poster
Dec 27, 2023
Is there any or can anyone suggest any knives off Amazon for cutting meat and fat from meat. Not sure if I need a cleaver or a knife. What you guys think? Suggestions? Thank you guys

Reactions: JLeonard
victorinox knives are unbeatable in my opinion, I use the boning knives for the majority of my meat cutting

Agreed!

I use a Victorinox curved semi-flexible 6" boning knife for most of my meat trimming and cutting, and a 12" inch granton-edge slicing knife for slicing.

Both these knives were purchased on Amazon.

Red

My son bought me a set of the TUO knives off Amazon a couple of years ago and I've been impressed with them so far. Once I got them I establised a good edge on them and I am the ONLY person that uses them so they stay sharp and chip free.

For ANY knife you buy, no dishwasher, hand wash only. The dishwasher is like a sandblaster on the knife's edge.

A cleaver can be an amazing tool once you get used to it, but a good slicer and paring knife go a LONG way in this hobby of ours.

For the price, value, durability, and edge retention, you can't go wrong with Victorinox or Mercer, and both are available on Amazon.

A knife is only half the story, though. The other half is a steel and a stone or diamond or belt sharpening system. Most of the factory edges can be maintained for about 6 months to a year with household use from the steel alone. Once they go dull though, you need a sharpening system to restore the edge. Research sharpening system comparisons on YouTube to get an idea what might work for you.

I use stones, which aren't for the beginner unless you have time and patience to learn. My kids got rolling sharpeners for Xmas. One got a Horl (German) and the other a Work Sharp (US). Avoid the cheaper Tumbler and other knockoffs.

I have a Shun Chefs knife, though I don't use it for butchering. For that I picked up a Victoriknox 6" Semi-Stiff Curved Boning Knife, and a Zwilling Twin Master Butchers knife. My parents got me a Victorinox 10" Curved Scimitar as a present a LONG time ago now, though it's a bit big for breaking down a bone in pork shoulder.

I really like the curved boning knife. I also have the straight boning knife, but I got tired of banging my knuckles on the cutting board. I find the curved knife is more ergonomic than the straight blade version.

None of these knives will break the bank and given that they aren't terribly expensive won't lose sleep if you damage them. They are durable and many restaurants use them. I picked mine up from a restaurant supply store for under $40CAD each.

Is there any or can anyone suggest any knives off Amazon for cutting meat and fat from meat.
Knife makers already mentioned are worth a look.

1. Trimming fat/meat/silver skin, breaking down poultry/beef clods: 6"-7" boning knife (best) or a 6"‐7" utility knife (okay).

2. Cutting loins into chops: 8"-10" chefs knife or 7" cleaver

3. Slicing partially frozen raw meat: 7" cleaver.

4. I hate 3"‐4" paring knives. Too small for my x-large hands. I prefer 5"‐7" utility knives for veggies and for #1 (trimming). 5" for small veggies, 6"‐7", or the chef's knife or a santoku, for larger ones.

My utility knives are the most used in my knife blocks.

Reactions: nlife
I agree with the crowd saying Victorinox or Mercer and that Brewin set is good as well I own several of them :emoji_laughing:

I agree with the crowd saying Victorinox or Mercer and that Brewin set is good as well I own several of them :emoji_laughing:
Lol I have a cupboard full of the Brewin and also a few Enowo. They are my go to for gifting. I have a full set of them out as my kitchen knives. They are nice enough that I find myself pulling out my knife bag of higher end knives less frequently. For the OP folks have you well covered with Victorinox and Mercer for mid range choices. The Brewin and Enowo on Amazon are nice cheap choices that are very sharp. I will throw in that I own a lot of more expensive knives and the one that impresses me most is a Zwilling Pro rocking chef. Holds an edge like no other knife I own. It's the most frequently used once in my roll. From a form factor standpoint I can't insider a boning knife, an 8" chef or santoku and a nice utility knife the essentials. Those 3 knives will do virtually anything you want to do. The 4th knife I recommend if you do many briskets is a granton edge slicer. Mercers is an exceptional value.

Last edited:
Knife makers already mentioned are worth a look.

4. I hate 3"‐4" paring knives. Too small for my x-large hands. I prefer 5"‐7" utility knives for veggies and for #1 (trimming). 5" for small veggies, 6"‐7", or the chef's knife or a santoku, for larger ones.
I like smaller pairing knives for working with veggies, especially small hot peppers. I have the set below and they are still wicked sharp. The beaked shape knife is killer on coring out habs and ghost peppers

Once they go dull though, you need a sharpening system to restore the edge. Research sharpening system comparisons on YouTube to get an idea what might work for you.

I use stones, which aren't for the beginner unless you have time and patience to learn. My kids got rolling sharpeners for Xmas. One got a Horl (German) and the other a Work Sharp (US). Avoid the cheaper Tumbler and other knockoffs.

This is an important part of owning and using sharp knives. I've always struggled with sharpening...tried for years to master stones - just never could get it right. I've since tried a few different devices with only moderately better results.

I just got a Work Sharp MK3 for Christmas...seems pretty idiot-proof. I've only sharpened a couple kitchen knives with it yet, but it put a nice edge on both of them, so I threw the Chef's Choice sharpener I was using before in the dumpster.

Red

This is an important part of owning and using sharp knives. I've always struggled with sharpening...tried for years to master stones - just never could get it right. I've since tried a few different devices with only moderately better results.

I just got a Work Sharp MK3 for Christmas...seems pretty idiot-proof. I've only sharpened a couple kitchen knives with it yet, but it put a nice edge on both of them, so I threw the Chef's Choice sharpener I was using before in the dumpster.

Red
Yep. Sharpening can be a challenge. There's lots of threads here on that topic. When I got more aggressive with my stones and stopped worrying about removing metal, I actually corrected their edges after decades of pull-thru and Chef"s Choice use. Now I have edges that are rehoned with a light brush on the steel. 06/03/22 was the last time I sharpened anything with my stones, and I kinda miss it because the steel is still correcting their edges.

Ray

Reactions: seenred

Red
I bought a Work Sharp as well... really like it! Only draw back is using it when our Dobie cuts loose barking behind me as I'm using it... scares the bejeebers out of a guy!

Ryan

I bought a Work Sharp as well... really like it! Only draw back is using it when our Dobie cuts loose barking behind me as I'm using it... scares the bejeebers out of a guy!

Ryan

She just wants to help Ryan LOL! :emoji_laughing:

Just don't let her startle you too bad with a Sharp knife in hand...that could lead to a trip to the emergency room!

Red

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky