Point me to a inexpensive knife set on Amazon

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tpc74

Meat Mopper
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
May 8, 2012
Berkley, MI
Thinking of doing a brisket this weekend. Maybe. Could use a good step by step for that with the new pellet smoker, but not necessarily the point of this post, haha.

I have nothing worth a damn for slicing a brisket. Fwiw, not for trimming it either. I have knives and can make do, but I think I could do better.

Thinking of Amazon since I could order today and maybe get it tomorrow. But I really am at a loss for what to get.

This is a slicer I got off Amazon. It was cheap. I got it just for Brisket. Brand is Mercer and it is 11” but I think they have a longer one also.
It may be cheap but it is sharp and seems to be well made. Also have used it to slice flank and TriTip steaks. Works fantastic!

IMG_5443.jpeg

IMG_5442.jpeg

Also Victorinox makes a great 6" boning knife in a stiff blade or flexible blade both available on Amazon for a decent price and they are great knives. I have the stiff blade one and it works great for trimming Brisket, Tri Tip roasts, Chicken or anything for that matter.

I got a buddy who uses a cheap electric knife for briskets and he also cleans a mess of stripers in record time with it. Sliced brisket made easy. Dad gum thing is handy.

Reactions: tpc74 and Redicans
This is a slicer I got off Amazon. It was cheap. I got it just for Brisket. Brand is Mercer and it is 11” but I think they have a longer one also.
It may be cheap but it is sharp and seems to be well made. Also have used it to slice flank and TriTip steaks. Works fantastic!

View attachment 690109
View attachment 690110
I'm guilty of owning too many, pricey kitchen knives, and this exact one is an amazingly affordable go to. Great knife and great price. Bagels also fear it!

Reactions: Redicans
I will have to admit that I have become a Victorinox fanboy and that is what I go with when I need a knife.

Reactions: mike243
Cold Steel Commercial Chef's knife is commercial kitchen ready goodness. Great utilitarian beauty.

💯 you want the Mercer Granton edge slicer for slicing it. I like the longer one but have both. Mercer Culinary M13914 Millennia Black Handle, 14-Inch, Slicer https://a.co/d/gNCdrX2
I've got one of those myself and love it. Use it for brisket, flank steak, ect. Damn good knife for the price.
The one I use the most is probably the Victorinox boning knife followed closely by a Victorinox chef's knife.

Reactions: jcam222
I'm in the Dexter Russell camp. Their Sani-Safe boning and filet knives are my go-to for just about everything.

Reactions: dsk
Thinking of doing a brisket this weekend. Maybe. Could use a good step by step for that with the new pellet smoker, but not necessarily the point of this post, haha.

I have nothing worth a damn for slicing a brisket. Fwiw, not for trimming it either. I have knives and can make do, but I think I could do better.

Thinking of Amazon since I could order today and maybe get it tomorrow. But I really am at a loss for what to get.
Well I got a few answers for you. This 3 knife set has a big 13 inch chef's knife that would do the trick AND you also get other good knives. A number of us have bought these as the community has reported they were good and the price point is AWESOME with how often they put deep discounts on them. Lately with frequently changing discounts you can get them from $13-$20 for the set and any of those price points is good. I can attest that the knives have been great so far, came super sharp, and I have zero complaints!

Currently $19.99 after $20 coupon clip, have seen better double coupon deals recently but still a great price.
KhNzorw.png

Now a 12-14inch long round tip carving knife seems to be the one the "pros" recommend and lots of people use for slicing a smoked brisket. I own one and it works fine. I got an inexpensive one at a restaurant supply store while in there one day. I have to sharpen it a bit but no biggy, it was inexpensive and gets the job done. So something like this as an example. I don't know if that brand in the picture is any good and don't have a good brand to recommend, just wanted to bring awareness of what you will often see mentioned for briskets:
Z5mDScO.png

For trimming your brisket to prep for smoking, any good boning or sensible sharp knife will do. Having a good one like a Victorinox is nice. I just pull a good sharp utility, boning, or smaller ceramic chef's knife from my knife block and get to trimming:
zujm52X.png

Finally, be sure to ask a ton of questions and do a lot of homework before tackling your 1st brisket.
I won't go into the laundry list of things to know but I will tell you that most people have a failure or disappointing early attempts because they simply don't plan the timing correctly and they pull the brisket before it is done.
It is done when it is tender. Never by time or temp.

Also I will caution against wrapping too early (if you wrap) or else you will get a beef pot roast flavored brisket that took forever to cook instead of a smoked bbq brisket.
People will often read about wrapping at an Internal Temp (IT) of the meat of 160-165F without any context being given as to WHY.
Wrapping at this IT is usually to do 1 thing. Push through the stall and speed things up.
Rarely do people mention that that they let the brisket stall for a while so it gets good flavor, bark, etc. and THEN they wrap. Because this is not mentioned, new people attempting brisket will wrap super early in the 160-165F range and get very disappointing flavor.
I personally do not care about a brisket stalling and I PLAN the appropriate amount of time to take any stalling into consideration (I do briskets naked the whole time lol).
To me flavor is king, not trying to push through a stall and speed things up. I personally never wrap a piece of beef before it hits an IT of 180F and I never wrap unless its mandatory (beef chucks, brisket flat only, and things like that).

There's still a ton more to get caught up on to not have a very disappointing early brisket attempt. Honestly briskets aren't that difficult to do well, they are just very easy to mess up due to the amount of factors that must be known and addressed when smoking one :)

Anyhow, I'll stop rambling now. I hope all this info helps :D

Well I got a few answers for you. This 3 knife set has a big 13 inch chef's knife that would do the trick AND you also get other good knives. A number of us have bought these as the community has reported they were good and the price point is AWESOME with how often they put deep discounts on them. Lately with frequently changing discounts you can get them from $13-$20 for the set and any of those price points is good. I can attest that the knives have been great so far, came super sharp, and I have zero complaints!

Currently $19.99 after $20 coupon clip, have seen better double coupon deals recently but still a great price.
View attachment 690227

Now a 12-14inch long round tip carving knife seems to be the one the "pros" recommend and lots of people use for slicing a smoked brisket. I own one and it works fine. I got an inexpensive one at a restaurant supply store while in there one day. I have to sharpen it a bit but no biggy, it was inexpensive and gets the job done. So something like this as an example. I don't know if that brand in the picture is any good and don't have a good brand to recommend, just wanted to bring awareness of what you will often see mentioned for briskets:
View attachment 690228

For trimming your brisket to prep for smoking, any good boning or sensible sharp knife will do. Having a good one like a Victorinox is nice. I just pull a good sharp utility, boning, or smaller ceramic chef's knife from my knife block and get to trimming:
View attachment 690229

Finally, be sure to ask a ton of questions and do a lot of homework before tackling your 1st brisket.
I won't go into the laundry list of things to know but I will tell you that most people have a failure or disappointing early attempts because they simply don't plan the timing correctly and they pull the brisket before it is done.
It is done when it is tender. Never by time or temp.

Also I will caution against wrapping too early (if you wrap) or else you will get a beef pot roast flavored brisket that took forever to cook instead of a smoked bbq brisket.
People will often read about wrapping at an Internal Temp (IT) of the meat of 160-165F without any context being given as to WHY.
Wrapping at this IT is usually to do 1 thing. Push through the stall and speed things up.
Rarely do people mention that that they let the brisket stall for a while so it gets good flavor, bark, etc. and THEN they wrap. Because this is not mentioned, new people attempting brisket will wrap super early in the 160-165F range and get very disappointing flavor.
I personally do not care about a brisket stalling and I PLAN the appropriate amount of time to take any stalling into consideration (I do briskets naked the whole time lol).
To me flavor is king, not trying to push through a stall and speed things up. I personally never wrap a piece of beef before it hits an IT of 180F and I never wrap unless its mandatory (beef chucks, brisket flat only, and things like that).

There's still a ton more to get caught up on to not have a very disappointing early brisket attempt. Honestly briskets aren't that difficult to do well, they are just very easy to mess up due to the amount of factors that must be known and addressed when smoking one :)

Anyhow, I'll stop rambling now. I hope all this info helps :D
If someone were to buy those 5 knives they'd have 99.9% of all needs covered I'd say. Those Brewin sure stay razor sharp and are ridiculously cheap. My neighbors love the set I gave them for Christmas. I'm using another brand off Amazon as the set I leave out in my kitchen which is Enowo. They run crazy good deals too.

Reactions: tallbm
Those Brewin sure stay razor sharp and are ridiculously cheap.
I bought another set a couple weeks ago for 12 bucks . I used that sharpener on my old knives , and it really tuned them up nice . I don't even used the new ones , but you can't pass on that price . Yes , they are supre sharp .

I need a decent set of non serrated steak knives .

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky