Ken Onion Grinder Attachment

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokinEdge

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 18, 2020
Western Colorado
I had a gift card for Cabelas from Christmas and decided to get the KO blade grinding attachment for my KO sharpener. I like the design of this much better and much easier to use. This is the way the KO sharpener should have been to begin with. Makes knives scary sharp. Plus you can either flat grind or convex grind, I like the flatter grind better.

IMG_1814.jpeg

One down side and really the only one so far, is the attachment is “keyed” onto the power head but doesn’t lock into place. It’s solid setting on the bench but when you pick up the power head the attachment wants to rotate. It’s kinda a small thing but can’t believe they didn’t make it lock into position.

I'll have to look into this a little more. I might just get enabled lol!
The worst thing of using my KO sharpener is using it when our Dobie let's loose barking!

Ryan

I'll have to look into this a little more. I might just get enabled lol!
The worst thing of using my KO sharpener is using it when our Dobie let's loose barking!

Ryan
IMO, best 100 bucks you could spend. Just watch out on places like Amazon because they have the attachment for something like 75 bucks but no belts come with it. Around 100 and you should have belts included, they are kinda needful and are longer than the other belts.

IMO, best 100 bucks you could spend. Just watch out on places like Amazon because they have the attachment for something like 75 bucks but no belts come with it. Around 100 and you should have belts included, they are kinda needful and are longer than the other belts.
Could be mistaken, but didn't SmokinAl SmokinAl get that attachment as well?

Ryan

Reactions: SmokinEdge
I had a gift card for Cabelas from Christmas and decided to get the KO blade grinding attachment for my KO sharpener. I like the design of this much better and much easier to use. This is the way the KO sharpener should have been to begin with. Makes knives scary sharp. Plus you can either flat grind or convex grind, I like the flatter grind better.

View attachment 685705
Gonna have to add you to the "enabler" list.
I do have just regular Ken O. Looked at this and have been pondering

Gonna have to add you to the "enabler" list.
I do have just regular Ken O. Looked at this and have been pondering
Hehehe, just doing my part, for the economy, of course, and the better good of the forum generally. If you get along at all with the original Ken O then you will love this. You sharpen between the two rollers on top, they are adjustable for wider (convex grind) or closer (more of a flat grind) plus you have the vertical plate in the front to flat grind, the front also has a 90* shelf to grind square against the belt.

Glad to see you picked one of these up Eric! I've had one for some time now and I really like it. It didn't seem intuitive when I was initially looking at it in the store, but it's really easy to use. Once you get used to it you can see the burr developing along the edge of the knife.

I'd also suggest a strop (or even your belt). The WS is great, but once the burr gets super fine you end up with a "feathery" burr on the edge that just folds one side to the other and doesn't really go away. The strop gets rid of it within a swipe or two.

Reactions: SmokinEdge
Glad to see you picked one of these up Eric! I've had one for some time now and I really like it. It didn't seem intuitive when I was initially looking at it in the store, but it's really easy to use. Once you get used to it you can see the burr developing along the edge of the knife.

I'd also suggest a strop (or even your belt). The WS is great, but once the burr gets super fine you end up with a "feathery" burr on the edge that just folds one side to the other and doesn't really go away. The strop gets rid of it within a swipe or two.
Thanks for the strop idea, however I’m currently using the double strop my dad used to whup me with and his dad before. Suede on one side and diamond print on the other.

Reactions: 912smoker and nlife
Could be mistaken, but didn't SmokinAl SmokinAl get that attachment as well?

Ryan
Yes Ryan, I have 2 of them, they work much better than the smaller unit that comes with the KO. You can get the belts from Red Label abrasives. Better quality than the KO belts, & much cheaper. I started a home sharpening business with those units. They get used 3-4 times a week for an hour or so each time. Great unit, would highly recommend getting one!
Al

Al,
What is your grit steps for a quality kitchen knife that isn't damaged?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky