Am I the only one that trolls the supermarket for discounted meats?

Discussion in 'Electric Smokers' started by atomic dog, Feb 21, 2012.

1. atomic dog

atomic dog Fire Starter

I find myself stopping by every couple days now looking for marked down chicken, turkey and beef ribs and briskets to smoke up.  I really like these little fryer chickens branded as "red bird" at my local market.  I usually find some really good deals most days.

It has rather become an obsession to see what I can find.  I especially like turkey giblets out of the smoker, and after mark down they are almost free.  I got the idea from a poster here.  I never thought about smoking turkey/chicken livers, hearts and gizzards...but dang they are good!  We actually like poultry out of the smoker more than anything else.

2. daveomak

daveomak Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Atomic Dog, morning..... I love to troll for discount meats.... especially when I'm experimenting with recipes for rubs, sausage and pastrami.... makes the "not so good experiments" a little easier to cope with..... [​IMG]  .... Dave

3. I have to agree!

4. bmudd14474

bmudd14474 Smoking Guru Staff Member Administrator Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

I drive my wife nuts because I do this.

5. werdwolf

werdwolf Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Tuesday seems to be the best day at my local grocery, so in there pretty much every Tuesday.

6. harleysmoker

harleysmoker Smoking Fanatic

I guess I'm a troll also lol. Every time I run in the grocery for one item, diapers or what ever I always make a quick run through the meat dept.

Also here lately I find myself in Lowe's or Home Depot running through the outdoor grill section looking for marked down BBQ equipment etc.

7. venture

venture Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Hell no!  You are not alone!

Today I hit the store for sale items.  While there I found some lamb for $2.99 per pound! Not advertised.

Good luck and good smoking.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2012
  8. boykjo

boykjo Sausage maker Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member

yep... but not for meat I am going to grind for sausage...........

Joe

9. daveomak

daveomak Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

That is a deal.... I would have stocked up on that....  Dave

10. missed-em

missed-em Smoke Blower

Wife & I look for "used" meat all the time.  The other day we got two delmonico's for 20% off.  Good eatin!

11. arnie

arnie Smoking Fanatic

I do it so much I embarrass my wife. [​IMG]

Even if we are traveling and I have no intension of buying anything I must cruse the meat cases to see what is there.

Our local Mom and Pop chain regularly put out whole rib eyes for $3.99/lb   [​IMG]

12. shoneyboy

shoneyboy Master of the Pit OTBS Member

I'm ShoneyBoy and I’m a troller too, ROFLOL…..There is nothing wrong with trying to save a couple bucks these days. With the cost of everything going up, there is no shame with trying to saver were ever you can. Their are 4 of us in the house and who knows how many others eating at any given time, trolling is the only way I can afford to save a few dollars, so we can buy the other groceries we need sometimes. I do agree with DaveOmark, it has given me the freedom to experiment with my food more, I don’t feel as guilty when it doesn’t come out as expected. I will say living in Louisiana, there is not very much that moves that I haven’t tried eating….. I recently have taken a class at the local collage, Animal Science 3053, that was a meats class. I have mentioned this in another post, I tried goat for the first time, I really had my reservations about eating it, but once I tried it, I have to say that it was fantastic!!! I would eat it again in a minute!!!! To all my fellow Trollers, troll away !!!! SB

13. ecto1

ecto1 Master of the Pit Group Lead OTBS Member

My favorite day of the week is tuesdays I get all the ads from the stores so I know what is in my smoking future.

14. scarbelly

scarbelly Smoking Guru OTBS Member

I shop almost everyday or every other day just because I hate to have a freezer full of stuff and want something else so I check for bargains all the time. The meat manager knows me and lets me know about deals 

15. gersus

gersus Smoking Fanatic

YES! I'm an obsessive meat troll! Every time I go thru the door I have to swing by the meat section looking for any great deals. Don't find many... but it happens sometimes. Sometimes, even when not on sale I can't resist a pork butt is sitting there just waiting to be ground and stuffed into a casing!

16. There must be something in the smoke?   I never did until I started smoking.  Now, just for something to do, I take a trip to the market, to check out the meat prices!

17. smokinal

smokinal Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Same here. I can't go to the store without checking out the meat coolers.

18. spec

spec Meat Mopper

I must be the worst of all....I NEED HELP....BBBWWWWAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I troll the meat AND PRODUCE for mark downs...GOTTA KEEP THE SMOKER AND DEHYDRATOR HAPPY

This day in age you can't pass up a good deal or waste a morsel of food

19. dward51

dward51 Master of the Pit OTBS Member

We do it all the time.

Combine discounted meats nearing their expiration date with a food saver and freezer and it's a good day.  I remember one day years back, it was late in the business day on Christmas Eve and the Kroger store was about to close.  The store would not reopen until the 26th, so the meat department manager was just starting to price down a whole buggy full of assorted cuts.  I asked him what would he take for the whole buggy as a lot "as is" and he thought about it and said $150.  We got over $700 worth of meat at original price for $150.  That was our all time best mark down score.

20. gersus

gersus Smoking Fanatic

Wow Dave! That was a sweet buy!