These Big Legs were made for Walking , " DISNEY TURKEY LEGS "

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

DRKsmoking

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jan 27, 2021
Middle Sackville, Nova Scotia ,Canada
These Big Legs were made for Walking , " DISNEY TURKEY LEGS "

I have been looking and very hard to find around here this size Turkey Drums. But my SIL found some and gave me 2 ( well traded me for a 2 1/2 pound pork roast I had in the freezer ) I think I got the better deal as these legs were 2 1/4 + 2 1/2 each.... I win

The banana is to show the size and that is no small banana lol
So I cleaned , made up my usual brine ( from chopsaw chopsaw 's book ) and I injected lots . Let soak for 2 days , brought out and dried off, than in fridge for a couple more hours

DSC_7089.JPG DSC_7100.JPG

I was not sure if to put a rub on these or not. I do not think the ones at Disney had any but that was a while ago for me. So went with a light run of Jeffs TulsaJeff TulsaJeff Original Rub. Than into a hot smoker set at 225 Deg.( I got it settled in at about 231 after i put in the cold drum sticks ) Lassoed them and hung from the dowel with care , lol
Took them to 172 Deg. then cranked the temp to 354 for 15 minutes to help crisp the skin a bit. ( I used Black Cherry chips and chunks )

DSC_7102.JPG DSC_7103.JPG
DSC_7104.JPG

DSC_7105.JPG
DSC_7106.JPG

DSC_7107.JPG

Well I read on how to remove the tendons from a few posts here and thought I did good , but know I need practice. As I did not get them all. Next time I might try before I cook them So I don't beat the legs up
And that is what I like always a next time.

DSC_7110.JPG DSC_7115.JPG

These were very good , and I will practice more , as I really like them.
I see a big pot of soup coming my way if I can stop picking at them

Next time I am using Hickory for my wood on these , I want more smoke ( some one in the house want be happy , but I am used to that )

Thanks for reading

David

Attachments

• DSC_7099.JPG
    DSC_7099.JPG
    100.3 KB · Views: 8
  • DSC_7116.JPG
    DSC_7116.JPG
    107.5 KB · Views: 10
Turkey legs are readily available around here and yours look good, David. We love smoked turkey, but this is the one thing I hate about the legs...
1681040418581.png

Those tendons are aggravating to remove and I need a lot more practice at removing them...:emoji_wink:

Reactions: DRKsmoking
Turkey legs are readily available around here and yours look good, David. We love smoked turkey, but this is the one thing I hate about the legs...
View attachment 662524
Those tendons are aggravating to remove and I need a lot more practice at removing them...:emoji_wink:

Thanks Charles for the love and the comment

Yes I have done lots of chicken legs this way, But finally did the big tom turkey legs,
and thank god we have the ability to keep practicing on the tendons.

Because the meat is sooooo good . almost worth the little aggravation :emoji_yum: :emoji_yum: :emoji_sunglasses:

David

Look good David . I found an old bird in the bottom of the freezer . I broke it down and did it different ways . I cured the legs and one of the thighs . I cut the skin around the bottom before going in the smoker . Allows the skin to shrink back , and makes getting at the tendons a bit easier . I'd like to have a couple dozen thighs . They're fantastic , and no tendons to deal with .
1681041976064.jpeg

Looks great!! I love them and usually do them a couple times a year. I DON’T love removing the dang tendons though. They need genetically modified tendoneless turkeys lol

Great looking legs David, and I like the hanging idea.

Point for sure
Chris

Oh man David… now that is top notch! Been too long since I’ve had one of them… that needs to change soon! Thanks for the reminder on a tasty treat!

Look good David . I found an old bird in the bottom of the freezer . I broke it down and did it different ways . I cured the legs and one of the thighs . I cut the skin around the bottom before going in the smoker . Allows the skin to shrink back , and makes getting at the tendons a bit easier . I'd like to have a couple dozen thighs . They're fantastic , and no tendons to deal with .
View attachment 662525

Thanks Rich for the comment

So have you tried to remove before cooking , or just after.
And i'm with you a box of just thighs would be a bonus for sure.

And your look great

What did you use for a rub on yours

David

Thanks . Yes I've tried before . It's a crap shoot really . I think after works better if you don't have the tool .

I had a rub that I won from the sausage throwdown . Lillie's BBQ . Low salt and on the sweet side . It was perfect on these .
That thigh was as good as any pork ham I've had .

Looks great!! I love them and usually do them a couple times a year. I DON’T love removing the dang tendons though. They need genetically modified tendoneless turkeys lol

Thanks Jeff for the like and the comment

I read your post on the big batch you did and all the tendons that you had to pull, one time before Christmas. That was a bib load of legs

And yes , altered birds without tendons would be great

Makes me think of the joke from years ago from Farside about the Boneless Chicken Ranch, I thought it was great

1681056085762.png

David

Great looking legs David, and I like the hanging idea.

Point for sure
Chris

Thank Chris , I try to take care of myself, but nice of you to notice.

Oh you meant the other Turkey legs

Ha ha thanks for the like and the comment

They did look and taste real good and the string was the best way to smoke instead of on the wire rack

David

Last edited:
Reactions: gmc2003
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky