• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

KonaLance

Original poster
Jun 14, 2018
Kind of feel a little guilty smoking my meat, with all this VOG in the air! (VOG is from the active volcano on our island, air quality is not at its best). Thats ok, my smoking wont cause that much more - lol
I used to use my Weber Smokey Mountain, but I bought the Weber Summit Charcoal, and just didnt use my Smokey Mountain anymore, so I sold it off. (salt air is harsh on things that are not being used) Better to sell it before it became useless.
I recently moved to an old Coffee Farm and had lots of old coffee stumps, so I wanted to do my homework on coffee wood, and found a good thread on here - thanks guys.
Just thought I would join you, learn from others.
124.jpg
21432845_10211712366262557_4424055992770454318_n.jpg

Oh man! I am not just drooling over those ribs, but I am green with envy of that Summit Charcoal! Talk about the Cadillac of the Weber smokers! Looking forward to see you post more with it!
As for the wood, I'll bet you have kiawe as well?

Oh man! I am not just drooling over those ribs, but I am green with envy of that Summit Charcoal! Talk about the Cadillac of the Weber smokers! Looking forward to see you post more with it!
As for the wood, I'll bet you have kiawe as well?
Yes, I actually had a friend give me some "old growth" kiawe, that is super heavy for its size, smokes up well. And the Summit - I love it !

Welcome to the group. glad you found us. Looks like a Great place to cook. Ribs look fantastic

Reactions: KonaLance
Hey hey an Islander! Welcome Aboard from Wisconsin! I just recently tried to do Kalua Pork in my smoker! I am convinced Banana leaves are infact, a form of space age heat absorbing technology!

Love that view of your grilling spot!

Welcome from California, awesome view. Have you been apart of any of those Hawaiian deep pit cooks we only get to see on TV. Or at least I ve only seen on TV lol. I would love to learn about those

Welcome to the forum! Those are some beautiful pics!!
Thank you !
Welcome from California, awesome view. Have you been apart of any of those Hawaiian deep pit cooks we only get to see on TV. Or at least I ve only seen on TV lol. I would love to learn about those
You know, i have been to them, and watched them, spilled beer around the pit, but was not really a participant in the "dig" ..., Maybe threw some ti lives or banana leaves in - lol .

Reactions: dcecil
Hey hey an Islander! Welcome Aboard from Wisconsin! I just recently tried to do Kalua Pork in my smoker! I am convinced Banana leaves are infact, a form of space age heat absorbing technology!

Love that view of your grilling spot!
LOL, I have done the Kalua pork on my Smokey Mountain, I wrapped it in banana leaves, ti leaves, and used the stock/trunk of the banana tree in the water tray and put some of the trunk/stock, cut into 1/4 around it, it came it really good !

LOL, I have done the Kalua pork on my Smokey Mountain, I wrapped it in banana leaves, ti leaves, and used the stock/trunk of the banana tree in the water tray and put some of the trunk/stock, cut into 1/4 around it, it came it really good !
Well the best I can do in Wisconsin is just frozen banana leaves. My friend who lives over on the Islands told me to get my sorry butt out there some time to meet her and enjoy Hawaii. I put it on my bucket list <Bizarre foods helped>

Well the best I can do in Wisconsin is just frozen banana leaves. My friend who lives over on the Islands told me to get my sorry butt out there some time to meet her and enjoy Hawaii. I put it on my bucket list <Bizarre foods helped>
LOL, Funny thing is when I was in St Louis last summer, I did see a banana tree growing in someones yard, and I know it will probably not be alive long enough to get banana's , but I wonder if they realized how much value was in the leaves and the stock/trunk ?
And your friend gave you good advice, visit the islands !

LOL, Funny thing is when I was in St Louis last summer, I did see a banana tree growing in someones yard, and I know it will probably not be alive long enough to get banana's , but I wonder if they realized how much value was in the leaves and the stock/trunk ?
And your friend gave you good advice, visit the islands !
Here send me Kiawe seeds and in what, 30 years I'll have Kiawe wood to burn? LOL. Trust me, if I ever have that money, I'll go and visit!

Welcome to SMF!
Those are some good looking ribs!
Been to Kona a few times to do the Ironman.
It's a beautiful place to live & of course there's the Kona coffee!!
Al

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky