A special gift

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Robert Rides Again!! Like.

And Ryder---No problem, Do your research, write down your plan of attack, and get 'er duuuun!!!
Take notes for next time, too!

You'll get it nailed, just like Dad does---Maybe even Better!
Be Back.

Bear

I'll be cooking them in dad Weber kettle. Any tips on how I should cook them and what I should cook with them?
For cooking steaks I like to set up the kettle in a dual zone fashion like this:
1647020856116.png
This gives direct high heat on one side for searing and indirect on the other for cooking.
I fill my charcoal chimney to the top and let ALL the coals get red hot, even the ones at the top of the chimney before pouring them out on one side into the kettle. The goal here is to get them as hot as possible. Make sure the bottom vents are wide open. Put the grill grate on and let the grill grate heat up for a few minutes.
1647020327818.png
This setup will allow you to sear or reverse sear the steaks. Since your a newbie, I'd suggest searing, then moving to the indirect side to cook them to your desired temperature. Reverse searing can be tricky and it's easy to overshoot your desired temperature. When placing the steaks on the hot searing side keep in mind you will want to rotate them 1/4 turn after sitting on the grate about a minute, this gives the "X" grill marks, but more importantly sears more area of the steak. After you rotate them, let them cook about another minute before the flip. After the flip, do the same rotation after a minute or so. Next you'll want to check the temperature of them and move the steaks to indirect side of the grill to finish cooking to your temperature if they're not there already. Keep in mind the steaks will gain about 10 degrees when you rest them, so plan your "take off" temperature accordingly.

I always like a baked potato and steamed broccoli with my steak. I put the potatoes in the oven right before I light my charcoal chimney and get the broccoli in the steamer so I can steam it while the steaks are resting.

However you choose to cook them, you'll do fine.
Don't forget the pictures! Your Dad can be the photographer while you're busy cooking. :emoji_wink:

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky