A question for REC TEC owners

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 22, 2009
Central Florida (Sebring)
Has anyone used a RT 1250 for cold smoking bacon?
I was thinking that if you just put the tube in the belly of the smoker it would be perfect.
However, I’m wondering if there would be enough air circulation to draw the smoke out the stack.
Interested in hearing from someone who has attempted this.
I may have to do a dry run to see if it works.
Al

Reactions: BrianGSDTexoma
don't have a rectek grill, but IF there is not enough draw naturally, could you remove the deflector from the stack and somehow mount a pc type fan to draw the air out of the smoker?

Reactions: SmokinAl
Morning Al, the RT is ideal for cold smoking. Trick is too get the controller into test mode
and turn on the fan only. No heat or auger.
I put the tube at the far left side opposite the exhaust.
Of course keep any product a few inches away from the tube.
Also good for cheese, salt and spices. Or any thing else you may want to smoke cold.
If you have any other questions just ask.
Edit, I haven't used the belly for the tube, that is where the fire brick goes!

Reactions: SmokinAl
I was thinking that if you just put the tube in the belly of the smoker it would be perfect.
However, I’m wondering if there would be enough air circulation to draw the smoke out the stack.
Al
I’ve not but I’ve had this crazy idea before. What if you run flex pipe from the Rec Tec chimney into a box with bacon on racks. Literally a big cardboard box. Run the Rec Tec on smoke setting. I feel like that would work really well using the Rec Tec as a smoke generator.

• Haha
Morning Al, the RT is ideal for cold smoking. Trick is too get the controller into test mode
and turn on the fan only. No heat or auger.
I put the tube at the far left side opposite the exhaust.
Of course keep any product a few inches away from the tube.
Also good for cheese, salt and spices. Or any thing else you may want to smoke cold.
If you have any other questions just ask.
Edit, I haven't used the belly for the tube, that is where the fire brick goes!
This method for test mode?

I had to do a test run, so the tube is in the belly, and I have a fan running about 10 feet from the stack. It has enough wind going across the stack to pull the smoke thru. If there was a natural wind blowing I wouldn’t need the fan. I have some BBB in a dry cure now, so I wanted to see if I could just use RT for the cold smoke. So far it works better than my Lang did, but we will see if it keeps going. I think it must be drawing air in thru the grease drain. Will let everyone know how this works, but so far so good!
Al

I use a smoke tube in the recteq all the time… I have the 700 and I put it all the way to the left and open the little probe cover.

That 1 inch hole provides plenty of air to keep the pellet tube smoking for hours.

I use a smoke tube in the recteq all the time… I have the 700 and I put it all the way to the left and open the little probe cover.

That 1 inch hole provides plenty of air to keep the pellet tube smoking for hours.

Thanks Jeff, but I wanted to get the tube as far away from the meat as I could. Hence the belly idea. So far with the fan blowing across the exhaust it is really pulling the smoke thru quite well. It’s been an hour or so since I lit it & at this point I think this will work fine. The tube is far enough from the meat that the smoke should clean up nicely. Now the real test comes when I cold smoke the bacon. Won’t be for a couple of weeks though.
Al

Thanks Jeff, but I wanted to get the tube as far away from the meat as I could. Hence the belly idea. So far with the fan blowing across the exhaust it is really pulling the smoke thru quite well. It’s been an hour or so since I lit it & at this point I think this will work fine. The tube is far enough from the meat that the smoke should clean up nicely. Now the real test comes when I cold smoke the bacon. Won’t be for a couple of weeks though.
Al
I will have to try that location myself sometime.

Good question Al and one that a lot of folks can learn from.

I have an RT700 and have cold smoked hundreds of pounds of bacon in it with no issues at all. I just put the tube in the middle under the heat plate and let it go. takes a few minutes to see smoke starting to come out the stack but never had a problem with even smoke distribution or keeping the pellets burning.

Robert

I have an RT700 and have cold smoked hundreds of pounds of bacon in it with no issues at all. I just put the tube in the middle under the heat plate and let it go. takes a few minutes to see smoke starting to come out the stack but never had a problem with even smoke distribution or keeping the pellets burning.

Robert
How long do you smoke the bacon?

Robert

Thanks Robert, I knew someone had to have done this before. BTW, I’ve had Robert’s bacon & it is fantastic, if it came out of his RT, then I’m sure mine will be fine too. It’s still smoking away as we speak!
Al

I had to do a test run, so the tube is in the belly, and I have a fan running about 10 feet from the stack. It has enough wind going across the stack to pull the smoke thru. If there was a natural wind blowing I wouldn’t need the fan. I have some BBB in a dry cure now, so I wanted to see if I could just use RT for the cold smoke. So far it works better than my Lang did, but we will see if it keeps going. I think it must be drawing air in thru the grease drain. Will let everyone know how this works, but so far so good!
Al
The air is pushed in via the combustion fan that feeds the fire pit.

Al
I have not Al, but I have in a Weber Smokey Mountain, I’d think you’d get enough air slow to keep it lit even if you had to crack the door a smidg.

I’ve not but I’ve had this crazy idea before. What if you run flex pipe from the Rec Tec chimney into a box with bacon on racks. Literally a big cardboard box. Run the Rec Tec on smoke setting. I feel like that would work really well using the Rec Tec as a smoke generator.
That does sound crazy!
1673357420012.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: jcam222
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky