Fridge smoker adding a circulation fan

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

saw2

Original poster
Sep 4, 2018
Hey guys,

First of all I built this fridge smoker at least 20 years ago. It has literally smoked hundereds of pounds of fish, jerky and cheese over its life. There is no plastic in this unit anywhere . The only plastic that was in it was the inside door skin and flashing between inner liner and outside case. Which all of this I replaced with aluminum and SS.

I’ve never made sausage or snack sticks. Since now retired I want to give this a try. Also have a lot of game meat available. For all the years the smoker had a single 1100 watt hot plate with cast iron pan for smoking chips. It was controlled by a manual bulb style thermostat. Added the cold smoke box on the side for Amzen pellet tray a few years ago for cheese and cold smoking salmon. Does a great job on the cold smoke salmon.

So I decided to give the old girl a re do - upgrade. Want to try and minimize temp fluctuations and control temp better. First I added a new 1700 watt 2 burner hot plate for faster temp recovery wired direct bypassing controls on hot plate. A cheaper digital controller (Baytite) 10 amp feeding A 25 amp relay. The max temp on this controller is 230. Which I never plan on going over. If this controller doesn’t last or work I’ll replace with something better. Or if I decide I want to go above max temps.

Gave it a test run. The temp fluctuations were much better. Set at 180 the temp fluctuation on down side were only about 3 degrees and on up to 5 on the up side when plate shut off it continued to climb a bit. Which I figured would happen.

Anyway now I want to add a circulation fan for more constant heat top to bottom. I got a convection oven fan in photos included for a good price from local appliance store. I also have the fan cover.

My guestion for you pro’s is where to mount fan in smoker. In pics you’ll see by the red circles where I’d like to mount it. Rather mount it in the lower spot if that would work ok as it be an easier mount spot and in case I want to add more trays above. But would like to know your thoughts on this circulation fan idea.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_5376.jpeg
    IMG_5376.jpeg
    179 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_5377.jpeg
    IMG_5377.jpeg
    195.5 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_5378.jpeg
    IMG_5378.jpeg
    212 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_5371.png
    IMG_5371.png
    704 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_5379.jpeg
    IMG_5379.jpeg
    133.5 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_5373.png
    IMG_5373.png
    469.5 KB · Views: 90
Reactions: auerjr and JLeonard
Greetings and welcome to the forum from New Mexico.
Never built on so can't help with your fan question.
Many here have, so I'm sure some will chime in.

Reactions: JLeonard
I just picked up a convection fan from smoke daddy to add into my smoker as well. I was planning on putting it on the top. I'm interested in what others have to say on location as well.

No recommendations for circulation fan location placement?

No first hand experience.
I've been watching threads on converting a fridge as I have a Westinghouse to build.
Auber Instruments makes a circulating fan for electric smokers.
They recommend installing low in the enclosure.

Here's a couple of recent threads
https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/new-parts-for-snoopy.323116/
https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/small-collagen-sticks.323915/#post-2470856

Thanks for the links. I’m thinking I’ll mount fan in lower position. I also think with the fan cover and the way the holes for air flow are positioned I can plug certian holes to change air flow directions.

Also going to see if a speed control for fan will work and is so then between speed control and covering air holes in cover I’ll be able to have a wide variance for fan air flow.

I wouldn't sweat the placement. The secret is to just mix up the air and get more smoke hitting the meat. Aiming down is probably optimal. Just don't "aim" it at the natural exhaust point...you want to fight the natural convection path of the smoke, not aid it.

Thanks, I’m going to mount below bottom rack cause of easy placement of the fan and shroud. I think with the the shroud air hole adjustments and speed control I’ll be able to control air flow fairly well. We’ll see. Mainly want fan to even out temps throughout the smoker.

If you are thinking about mounting a fan inside the smoker, think about how much smoke grime will stick to the blades of the fan. They will become very gooey in no time. Same problem with installing a fan outside on the exhaust vent.

If you are thinking about mounting a fan inside the smoker, think about how much smoke grime will stick to the blades of the fan. They will become very gooey in no time. Same problem with installing a fan outside on the exhaust vent.

The only part of the fan in the smoker cabinet is the shaft and blade. The motor is mounted on the outside of cabinet. The blade is easily removed to be cleaned when needed.

This is all an experiment for me with the fan. If I have much trouble with it I’ll just get rid of it. Might just try it when smoking part is done. Use fan and heat for a dehydrator style effect. With the speed control the fan can slow to just a crawl. Going to experiment with it and see.

I just seen a couple commercial places that offered a circulation fans that have the motor outside so I just took from those designs.

Not an old fridge, but might help with some of the challenges and pitfalls...

Thanks for the videos, lots of info I can use. The bigger fan motor he had in video is about the same motor I have. Actual fan for a convection oven. Notice it also has a small fan blade to help keep motor cool.

With the cheaper controller I‘m trying its max temp is 230. I also have a speed control for the fan. Most the time all my use will be 180 or lower so hopefully the motor will take it. All done with the fan install so next I’ll just be testing and messing around with it.

Might be a total flop but going to see how it goes.

Sounds like you'll have a good time experimenting with the fan. Keep us updated with what you end up doing.

Reactions: bill1
The only part of the fan in the smoker cabinet is the shaft and blade....
Exactly. You want the motor to stay clean and cool. If the blades are easily removed via set screw, etc you'll soon learn how often you need to clean them and as long as it's turning it should coat with goop/creosote at a uniform/even rate. Smaller and easier to clean that a rack or grate.
I even think you could have a free-turning (no motor) fan arrangement. The natural convection in the cooker will turn the blades which then redirects the flow sideways. Of course the smoke, like the heat, will eventually go out the exhaust but the longer you keep it in the smoker, the better your meat will be, or so goes the theory.
People put free-turning fans like this on top of Franklin stoves to blow away from the stove and to keep the heat from being quite so concentrated around the stove.
There's no perpetual motion here...the friction of the fan shaft and fan blades is accounted for by a net reduction in the redirected (like a pulley) hot air's speed (kinetic energy.)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky