Looking for a new smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cruiser rod

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jul 18, 2013
South Jersey
I've had a couple of MB electric smokers and I'm real tired of replacing heating elements and now I have an electrical issue with the one I'm using. I've tried everything I could find to fix it and I'm not getting anywhere with it. For ayone that is wondering why, as soon as the unit is connected to electric it automatically heats up w/o turning it on and has no temp control. I use my smoker a lot, may be one reason why I've gone through 2 of them now. I like smoking chcken, ribs, fish and at the end of deer season kielbasa usually 30 pounds and I double smoke it. I really don't want another MB especially now that you can't even talk to someone if there is a problem, only emails now. For someone like me should I switch to propane or would you guys recomend somthing else? I do like the control of the electric but I'm willing to change.

Electric is the best way to do sausages imo. maybe a better higher priced electric unit? never could get my gas smoker to run low enough in the summer to make me happy.

Look on marketplace or craigslist for a used Smokin-It, Cookshack or Smoking Tex. IF you can't find a used one, get a new Smokin-It.

I had 2 MES and had good luck with them. But eventually gave them up for a Traeger and a 22” Weber, liking how easy the Weber was to use I got rid of the Traeger for a 22” WSM. Easy as the kettle to maintain temp just a little more work to clean and set up. So I ended up getting rid of that for a 26” Kettle. No regrets at all! anything I can’t fit on my 22”, or bigger cooks I just bust out the 26”. It’s a lot bigger for only being 4” more if that makes sense. There about as set and forget as they can be! I don’t think I will be replacing either for a long time.

Don't give up on your MES. For a few dollars it can be fixed to be one of the best smokers available. An auber PID and an element, best for sausage making and low " controlled " temps.
tallbm tallbm has gotten a lot of us hooked up and knows these inside and out. He has numerous posts that can be found in the search forum on how or he may chime in to help you out.
It may have to do with your connectors, as I have never replaced an element in my MES 40

I see Cabela’s has a “Commercial-Grade Electric Smokehouse”. I have no idea if it’s any good. But looked nice in the catalog.

PS seasoning just released some new electric smoker as well.

I've had a couple of MB electric smokers and I'm real tired of replacing heating elements and now I have an electrical issue with the one I'm using. I've tried everything I could find to fix it and I'm not getting anywhere with it. For ayone that is wondering why, as soon as the unit is connected to electric it automatically heats up w/o turning it on and has no temp control. I use my smoker a lot, may be one reason why I've gone through 2 of them now. I like smoking chcken, ribs, fish and at the end of deer season kielbasa usually 30 pounds and I double smoke it. I really don't want another MB especially now that you can't even talk to someone if there is a problem, only emails now. For someone like me should I switch to propane or would you guys recomend somthing else? I do like the control of the electric but I'm willing to change.

This sounds like the relay (switch) on the lower circuit board is stuck in the on/heat position. You likely will not be able to find a replacement board BUT you arent screwed. This should have nothing to do with your heating element.

I'm with Winterrider Winterrider on this. For a good bit less than a new smoker (but still a little money) you can give the finger to MB by doing a simple rewire to your MES and using a PID controller.

This would make your MES perform easily 25x better than it ever did new or any electric smoker you could get for less than $1,000!

The way the rewire + PID controller works is that you cut the ends off 4 wires and wire nut ends together to make 2 whole wires.

At this point the MES plug will feed power to the heating element while still keeping the safety cuttoff switch in the mix. No control here but you have now bypassed all of the crappy Masterbuilt electronics so the element will simply just heat up. This is where a PID controller comes in.

You plug your MES into a PID controller
Plug the PID controller into your wall out let.
Drop the PID temp probe down your MES vent and clip underneath the center of the lowest rack (to measure heat temp).
Finally you turn on the PID, enter the set temp, and it will cut power on/off to the MES plug (which now feeds to the elemnt) until the PID hits and holds the set temp.

This thing will likely hit and hold dead on and very well within 1-2 degrees of your set temp. It is super precise and performant.

You now have turned your golf car of an MES into a Ferrari that will never have a problem doing low temps, max temps, or a problem doing sausage, bacon, jerky, etc.
You can score a plug and play PID controller for $150 or so. It cost a little but it's like getting an amazing brand new smoker you never knew you could had that would normally cost $1,000!

Ask any questions you have. We've helped many people on the forum with this fix/conversion and they all wondered why they waited so long to do so (including me when I did it) :D

Reactions: normanaj
I thank you all for your suggestions especially about the PID install to correct my problem. As I was searching YouTube for PID installs I came across this video. I have never seen, heard or knew about this circuit board on the bottom of the MES unit. Maybe someone has and can comment on it. I did have a previous problem with my MES tripping the GFI and I switched the GFI to a higher one and eventually changed it to a regular outlet which worked fine until now. I have to check out what I found in this video and I'll get back with a response.

I thank you all for your suggestions especially about the PID install to correct my problem. As I was searching YouTube for PID installs I came across this video. I have never seen, heard or knew about this circuit board on the bottom of the MES unit. Maybe someone has and can comment on it. I did have a previous problem with my MES tripping the GFI and I switched the GFI to a higher one and eventually changed it to a regular outlet which worked fine until now. I have to check out what I found in this video and I'll get back with a response.

Just checked that video out. That would definitely cause some issues. I've not seen anyone on here ever report that as an issue though.

In any case that is the lower circuit board and the behavior you mentioned points there where the relay (switch) seems to be stuck in the ON position so your smoker just heats up and never cuts off because the internal switching mechanism can't move to OFF.

Those parts have been reported to not be in stock or available since the pandemic. That is the spot where you cut the ends off 4 wires and then wire nut together to make 2 whole wires. That work is easy. It takes more time getting to the the stupid circuit board than it does to do the rewire hahahaha.

Here is a detailed post on the rewire so the MES can be used with a PID controller:

As for PID controllers you probably want to buy one vs trying to make your own, unless you just really really love doing a project to make something.

JC in GB JC in GB has some in depth posts on building a PID and give you any info if that's the route you wanna go or may even make you one :D

If you wanted to buy one this moment then Auber seems to be your best bet and is on sale for $150 at the moment:

This model will work with your MES for sure and you would want the "Multi Purpose" probe not the other options.

Finally, if you go down this route it is a good idea to buy some electrical spade connectors and replace the ones Masterbuilt is using at the heating element and safety cuttoff switch. Theirs are so cheap they might have rusted and corroded apart in the time it took you to read all this :D

Let us know if you have anymore questions. Don't hesitate :D

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky