• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

A little more baby back rib advice

whistlepig

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Dec 23, 2011
For years I did 2-2-1 foiling in apple juice. Not bad. Far better than any restaurant. But the ribs were always a little too mushy ( I.E. a little to much fall off the bone) for me, Then recently I tried 5 hours without foiling. A lot better. But still a bit on the tough side. Need to meet in the middle if only I could get the recipe for unwrapped baby backs please.

bdawg

Meat Mopper
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Dec 30, 2011
If I only have foil, I'll unwrap them at the end and finish them unwrapped.
That tends to bark them up nice.

chef jimmyj

Epic Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Joined May 12, 2011
You want Tender, Naked Ribs? Smoke until they pass the 90° Bend Test and Probe Test...About 6 hours,+/-.
5 hours was not enough as you found out...JJ

SmokingUPnorth

Smoking UPNorth
SMF Premier Member
Joined Dec 7, 2017
I’ve used the 2~2~1 for a couple years but i do more like 2.5 unwrapped and 1.5 Wrapped then 1 hour unwrapped With sauce. Another question Are you sure your smoker is at 225?

Dantij

Smoke Blower
Joined Oct 21, 2018
I am also closer to the 2.5, 1.5, 1 at 250°. This gives me great results that my crowd likes.

lovelife

Smoke Blower
Joined Jan 4, 2016
At the restaurant we smoke them naked for 4-6 hours. Use the bend test.

smokeymose

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Aug 13, 2015
I gave up on "3-2-1" and "2-2-1" a long time ago, since I don't have a smoker or grill that will keep 225. Whether in the stick burner or the Weber I cook them open for a couple of hours, foil for about an hour, un-foil and sauce for the remainder.
I like the "bend test", and we actually like them FOTB.

Latest posts

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.