A little more baby back rib advice

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

whistlepig

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Dec 23, 2011
Preble County, OH
For years I did 2-2-1 foiling in apple juice. Not bad. Far better than any restaurant. But the ribs were always a little too mushy ( I.E. a little to much fall off the bone) for me, Then recently I tried 5 hours without foiling. A lot better. But still a bit on the tough side. Need to meet in the middle if only I could get the recipe for unwrapped baby backs please.

Reactions: kruizer
You want Tender, Naked Ribs? Smoke until they pass the 90° Bend Test and Probe Test...About 6 hours,+/-.
5 hours was not enough as you found out...JJ

Reactions: Millberry
I gave up on "3-2-1" and "2-2-1" a long time ago, since I don't have a smoker or grill that will keep 225. Whether in the stick burner or the Weber I cook them open for a couple of hours, foil for about an hour, un-foil and sauce for the remainder.
I like the "bend test", and we actually like them FOTB.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky