2019 Carolina Reapers

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dr k

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Mar 22, 2013
Peoria, IL
The cold and wet Spring has been delaying the hardening process for these two CR plants but are better than the two Chocolate Habaneros last year. Last years CH got sunburned and barely survived before producing over one thousand fruits from two plants. Since this years plants have been also getting sun light as well as artificial light they are doing well outside in the sun for two hours/day and also to get acclimated to light wind. These are from tropics tropics last years CR seeds.
20190516_122557.jpg

Man I would love to have some of those. I bet they are going to be great. What all do you use them for?
I'll make hot sauce with them. Give them away while fresh and use fresh as needed with chili. When they start to soften I'll dehydrate to make powder or bag them dried cut in half. I do prefer smoking/drying in the smoker 24 hours at 150° for a Chipotle style dried smoked pepper.

I started growing last year and had very good returns.

Chili Tai
Orange Habs
Chocolate Habs
Carolina Reapers (Yellow and Red)
Ghost peppers
Jalapeño
Salsa peppers

Attachments

• 9E8DB8F8-18C5-4667-A5E3-A80706FCE45F.jpeg
    9E8DB8F8-18C5-4667-A5E3-A80706FCE45F.jpeg
    136 KB · Views: 52
Reactions: kit s and dr k
Kurt they look good my seeds didn't survive the move,they were in the garage and froze for almost 2 months before I found them.
Richie

I haven't grown reapers yet but I did plant two red ghosts yesterday. I haven't found hab plants at the stores yet.

I grew ghosts for my first time last year. I dried and ground them (OUTSIDE) and I've been using them in seasoning blends. Kind of like putting solid rocket boosters onto a recipe.

BTW if you don't want intense heat, try a variety called Zavory. It's kind of a heatless habanero.

Looking good Kurt my CH now have their second leaf.

Warren
How many plants are you growing. I'm glad the seeds were good. I just needed a couple CR plants this year since I have so much dehydrated and smoke dried Chipotle style hot peppers.

Kurt they look good my seeds didn't survive the move,they were in the garage and froze for almost 2 months before I found them.
Richie
Did you have time this growing season to see if they were viable with your move? I thought seeds could be preserved by freezing like all the seeds that are frozen in case of a global catastrophe but maybe at a specific range. I have plenty so just let me know when you need more now or later.

Kurt
I have 4 plants growing most of the seeds were not very good at germinating.
I was going to say the same thing Richie I have all kinds of volunteer plants come up through out my garden and in the compose pile. and they have been out there all winter. So plant some and see what happens.

Kurt Thanks for the like it is appreciated.

Warren

It's been wet, cold and windy here with night temps in the forties and highs in the fifties which makes it tough to harden and get them underway outside. Latest start to the growing season I've ever experienced. Will be 80 tomorrow and back to a couple hours putting the plants outside. Two of those CH plants got me a thousand or so peppers.

Don't know if I'm growing tobacco or CR with these monster leaves. Pepper plants are finally picking up speed.
20190702_190650.jpg 20190702_190646.jpg

Cold and wet Spring delayed planting then very hot, causing blossom drop so no fruit with lots of flowers. Terrible season for these two CR plants. Getting close to 100° next several days. Ugh!
20190717_103018.jpg

Reactions: chopsaw and DanMcG
Getting close to 100° next several days. Ugh!

Sounds like the same weather pattern we're getting in NY, and also having a lot of blossom drop, but also have some nice pods going.

Carolina Reapers
Carolina reaper .jpg

Reactions: dr k
Nice! With the giant CR leaves and no fruit yet on mine it looks like I'm growing tobacco. Lol
Sounds like the same weather pattern we're getting in NY, and also having a lot of blossom drop, but also have some nice pods going.

Carolina Reapers
View attachment 400781

I found a few small ones identical to the smooth ones in your pic.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky