2 Kilo's

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SonnyE

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Dec 13, 2017
Saugus, California
Pork Loin Teriyaki using Walt's Recipe.
(except I put Cure #1 in mine) Nothing hot in this.
Bada-Boom, Badda-Bing! In the fridge for about 30 hours.
(Because I'm tired and not about to start drying Jerky at 11 PM tomorrow.)

Whaddah Ya mean?
See here:
Picture. :emoji_thumbsup:
20181220_225219.jpg

Each bag has 1 Kilogram of Pork Loin sliced ~1/4" thick.
I figured if I was going to dirty up my slicer, it might as well be worth the cleaning effort.
The wife suggests I cut these medallions into pretty strips if I'm gifting them. :emoji_thinking: :emoji_poop:

I was just about to call the DEA on you Sonny. I'm in.

Chris

Reactions: SonnyE
I gotta watch this. Sounds pretty good.

I was just about to call the DEA on you Sonny. I'm in.

Chris

Can't wait to see the results!

Thanks Guys!

Sorry, these things take time, 5Grills. :emoji_clock:
If you called the DEA, we'd be sittin around chewin Jerky, and sippin Beers, and listening to case stories, Chris. :emoji_thinking::emoji_cop:
You are definitely in, Charlie, and most Welcome.:emoji_thumbsup:

Walt's Recipe is real easy. The hardest part was the mid-evening run to Walmart. But I survived. I grabbed two of the bottles of sauce because it is apparently very popular with us Walmartians. That store never fails to entertain me.
But mostly it was Zombies. Glazed eye's blindly shuffling along, numbed from the Christmas shopping crush. Poor souls.
Anyway, a lot of folks here seem to like the Soy Vey Veri Veri Teriyaki. They make several flavors, too. It's hard to find at Walmart, disappears fast. People like me will reach way back to grab the last ones. :emoji_smiling_imp:
But Walt's recipe has no hot stuff in it, and no salt (other than my addition of Cure #1, sorry, but I subscribe to the stuff.)
I'm not much for sweet stuff, so most of these two loads are going to the kids and sweet tooth's.
I woke up this morning thinking about drying time. :emoji_rolling_eyes: It needs to be soft, I think. So I'll have to watch it. :emoji_eye:
I'm usually Mr. Twopounder. But on a lark just decided the slicer was messy anyway, do a whack attack on another portion.
Waiting. Waiting and massaging packages of meat in various states of curing and aging.

s-dsc07036.jpg
Better than waiting for a bug, I guess. :emoji_laughing:

The hardest part was the mid-evening run to Walmart. But I survived.

Glad you survived the trip Sonny. Next time I click on one of those "25 unbelievable photo's taken at Walmart" thats always showing up on Yahoo news I'll look for a guy with the Teriyaki sauce in his cart. :cool:

Chris

Glad you survived the trip Sonny. Next time I click on one of those "25 unbelievable photo's taken at Walmart" thats always showing up on Yahoo news I'll look for a guy with the Teriyaki sauce in his cart. :cool:
Chris

LOL! Never fails to have an entertaining moment(s).
I'd be the blurr in the background trying to gather and git the heck out of there.

One trip I was trying to find something, and the light at the end of the isle faded...
I looked up to a poor lady who was well over 6', and heavily tatoo'd on her upper arms and shoulders. She picked a few things as she walked the isle, talking on the phone the entire time.
As I turned to leave and go to the next spot on my Walmart app, she was center isle reaching for an item. I couldn't pass at the moment, so I looked her up and down from the back.
Poor thing was a female version of Ferdinand the Bull. No bottom, and huge shoulders she'd "adorned" with giant flowers that had lost any color they might have once had. Ah, Walmartion for sure.
So many people, so many oblivious.
My Walmart can't seem to keep the Soy Vey on their shelves. Must be popular stuff. Tastes good. Nice aroma. High hopes. Apparently all natural, no preservatives. (So I added my own.) :confused:o_O

LOL! Never fails to have an entertaining moment(s).
I'd be the blurr in the background trying to gather and git the heck out of there.

One trip I was trying to find something, and the light at the end of the isle faded...
I looked up to a poor lady who was well over 6', and heavily tatoo'd on her upper arms and shoulders. She picked a few things as she walked the isle, talking on the phone the entire time.
As I turned to leave and go to the next spot on my Walmart app, she was center isle reaching for an item. I couldn't pass at the moment, so I looked her up and down from the back.
Poor thing was a female version of Ferdinand the Bull. No bottom, and huge shoulders she'd "adorned" with giant flowers that had lost any color they might have once had. Ah, Walmartion for sure.
So many people, so many oblivious.
My Walmart can't seem to keep the Soy Vey on their shelves. Must be popular stuff. Tastes good. Nice aroma. High hopes. Apparently all natural, no preservatives. (So I added my own.) :confused:o_O

If you check out the Walmart website they tend to do shipping to home for free. You might just order units of six or what not that way.

If you check out the Walmart website they tend to do shipping to home for free. You might just order units of six or what not that way.

I've done that with some stuff. And done the Pick-up in the store, too.
But usually, I like to go in, grab, and run. No waiting.
Last night worked well, not to many obstructionists blocking the lanes.
I tend to move fast and with purpose, say Excuse Me to the braindeads having a discussion and blocking isles, oblivious to anyone around them. But will occasionally strike up a conversation.
I was in Sam's Club and saw a lady using the Scan and Go app. As I strolled by I said, "That's cheating using the app." with a smile.
She Smiled back and said, "Oh, this saves me so much time! I love it!" I told her I need to try it, and strolled on.
Not seeing my target, as I walked back I asked her if she might know where the item was and she told me. I figured she was a seasoned Sam's shopper. She was, and it gave her the moment to help a flirty old fart.

My wife is use to me stopping and holding a door. Or chatting with someone. Not a lot, but enough that she usually smiles as she waits for me to catch up.
She know's, I believe most people are good. Given a chance to smile....

I've held entire random convos on things at stores because it's just me and another guy both scouring an isle for the same seasoning or some thing.

Then again I used to work retail Sonny, it's ingrained into me to make small talk. Helped when I bartended too :)

Also do we tell your wife you beeen flirting in the check out line Sonny!? Uh oh! ;)

I've held entire random convos on things at stores because it's just me and another guy both scouring an isle for the same seasoning or some thing.

Then again I used to work retail Sonny, it's ingrained into me to make small talk. Helped when I bartended too :)

Also do we tell your wife you beeen flirting in the check out line Sonny!? Uh oh! ;)

She already knows, Tom.
She tells folks that if I stop lookin, she'll start worryin.
But she has no worries, I let her know she's my last.
When I found the best, I have no need to mess with the rest.
Anywhere we go, the friendly old fart comes out. I engage anybody.
Friends have told me I was scary... until I spoke.
Like you, I like to give someone a chance to smile, to speak, to change their mind.
The difference between a Stranger and a Friend starts with a smile. :D

She already knows, Tom.
Like you, I like to give someone a chance to smile, to speak, to change their mind.

I can't agree more :) Definitely is the way to make a friend!

Reactions: SonnyE
She already knows, Tom.

Walmart is my favorite place to Fa*t in the aisles. Especially when my daughter is with me. She gets so embarrassed it's just to funny. I love going thru the meat section and letting one rip, and telling her the meat must be going bad. I have a funny feeling that will be part of my eulogy in the not so distant future.

Chris

Walmart is my favorite place to Fa*t in the aisles. Especially when my daughter is with me. She gets so embarrassed it's just to funny. I love going thru the meat section and letting one rip, and telling her the meat must be going bad. I have a funny feeling that will be part of my eulogy in the not so distant future.
Chris

Maybe I've followed you in Walmart? :emoji_rolling_eyes:
Our Son and DIL do most of their shopping at Walmart. And they throw away a dismaying amount of meat due to it turning, or being stinky when the package is opened.
I like Walmart for a lot of things. But their "fresh? Meat" is not one of them.
Something I really dislike is "painted" meat. What you can see looks fresh. but the bottom is grey to greenish.
I do occasionally leave a cloud, and wonder away.:emoji_scream:

Thanks Guys!

Sorry, these things take time, 5Grills. :emoji_clock:
If you called the DEA, we'd be sittin around chewin Jerky, and sippin Beers, and listening to case stories, Chris. :emoji_thinking::emoji_cop:
You are definitely in, Charlie, and most Welcome.:emoji_thumbsup:

Walt's Recipe is real easy. The hardest part was the mid-evening run to Walmart. But I survived. I grabbed two of the bottles of sauce because it is apparently very popular with us Walmartians. That store never fails to entertain me.
But mostly it was Zombies. Glazed eye's blindly shuffling along, numbed from the Christmas shopping crush. Poor souls.
Anyway, a lot of folks here seem to like the Soy Vey Veri Veri Teriyaki. They make several flavors, too. It's hard to find at Walmart, disappears fast. People like me will reach way back to grab the last ones. :emoji_smiling_imp:
But Walt's recipe has no hot stuff in it, and no salt (other than my addition of Cure #1, sorry, but I subscribe to the stuff.)
I'm not much for sweet stuff, so most of these two loads are going to the kids and sweet tooth's.
I woke up this morning thinking about drying time. :emoji_rolling_eyes: It needs to be soft, I think. So I'll have to watch it. :emoji_eye:
I'm usually Mr. Twopounder. But on a lark just decided the slicer was messy anyway, do a whack attack on another portion.
Waiting. Waiting and massaging packages of meat in various states of curing and aging.

s-dsc07036.jpg
Better than waiting for a bug, I guess. :emoji_laughing:
Right...this is strictly sweet teriyaki...no heat...if you like spicy, besides the obvious cayenne and red pepper choices sriracha pairs well with this recipe...as far as salt goes...I do use cure in.mine...I dont include it in the recipe intentionally because there are so many mixed opinions on it and those who do use it will probably add it to the recipe anyway...
If you're looking for a bit of "salty" i think soy sauce would incorporate really good in this recipe as ne add some of that salt component.

Right...this is strictly sweet teriyaki...no heat...if you like spicy, besides the obvious cayenne and red pepper choices sriracha pairs well with this recipe...as far as salt goes...I do use cure in.mine...I dont include it in the recipe intentionally because there are so many mixed opinions on it and those who do use it will probably add it to the recipe anyway...
If you're looking for a bit of "salty" i think soy sauce would incorporate really good in this recipe as ne add some of that salt component.

Hi Walt, Thanks Again!
Yes, looking for a strictly sweet Teriyaki Jerky. I'm spicy, but others are sweet Teriyaki lovers. So trying to please them.
The marinade tasted and smelled nice and sweet.
I did a double check when I realized there was no salt in the recipe, so none added.

I didn't use Cure #1 (Prague Powder, etc.) for a million years. Then when I came on board of SMF.com I got a pound and tried it. The result shot me all the way back to Junior High School and the taste of the Jerky I'd spend my lunch money on. I found the missing ingredient that woke up the Jerky! So I use it now, and enjoy my Jerky much more.

I'm sure the controversies will rage on and on about Cure #1. But to me, it is a very tiny amount, gets burned out in the process, and any that's left stomach acid neutralizes. My gut tells me it's OK, and my tongue sez "Gimme some of That!"
And I know my Dehydrator goes beyond recommended safe neutralizing temperatures.
So, In God We Trust. All others pay cash.
And Cure #1, Prague Powder, etc. is a lot more pronounceable than some of the crap on a Bologna labels ingredients, or a Hot Dog package. But we happily munch away at food trucks or vender carts while pointing fingers at Cure users.
https://www.hot-dog.org/resources/Hot-Dog-Ingredients-Guide

Thank You for sharing your recipe with us!
Merry Christmas Walt!

Hi Walt, Thanks Again!
Yes, looking for a strictly sweet Teriyaki Jerky. I'm spicy, but others are sweet Teriyaki lovers. So trying to please them.
The marinade tasted and smelled nice and sweet.
I did a double check when I realized there was no salt in the recipe, so none added.

I didn't use Cure #1 (Prague Powder, etc.) for a million years. Then when I came on board of SMF.com I got a pound and tried it. The result shot me all the way back to Junior High School and the taste of the Jerky I'd spend my lunch money on. I found the missing ingredient that woke up the Jerky! So I use it now, and enjoy my Jerky much more.

I'm sure the controversies will rage on and on about Cure #1. But to me, it is a very tiny amount, gets burned out in the process, and any that's left stomach acid neutralizes. My gut tells me it's OK, and my tongue sez "Gimme some of That!"
And I know my Dehydrator goes beyond recommended safe neutralizing temperatures.
So, In God We Trust. All others pay cash.
And Cure #1, Prague Powder, etc. is a lot more pronounceable than some of the crap on a Bologna labels ingredients, or a Hot Dog package. But we happily munch away at food trucks or vender carts while pointing fingers at Cure users.
https://www.hot-dog.org/resources/Hot-Dog-Ingredients-Guide

Thank You for sharing your recipe with us!
Merry Christmas Walt!
I agree on the cure...especially with bacon and jerky...you just can not duplicate that flavor...
Like you, I avoided it for a long time then tried it on some Canadian bacon and BAM there it was the flavor I'd been looking for..
The flavor I too remembered from years past, before everybody got all freaked out about every little thing...lol...
Kinda like MSG...in proper proportions...perfectly safe...

Why aren't they freaking out about water?
Too much of that can drown you. :eek:

Unlike beer. Too much beer puts you to sleep.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky