12 Pound Turkey in my Pit Barrel Cooker in NYC

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

nyc smoke

Original poster
Nov 12, 2016
Going to smoke a 12# tomorrow, it came brined, got it thawed and washed and dried, sitting in the fridge to air dry overnight.

Going to inject with organic chix broth and melted butter, throw on a little salt and pepper, and toss a quartered onion, apple and a bunch of whole herbs in the cavity and hang it to smoke at 275 or so.

Hoping to get a couple hours smoke on it, then finish it in a 350 or 375 oven with some basting of course. Figuring on 4 hours tops.

This is for the "early Thanksgiving dinner" tomorrow, wish me luck, will post pix. ANY SUGGESTIONS WELCOME!

Leave it in the smoker until you hit an IT of 150 then move it to the oven to crisp it up. If the turkey is whole and not spatchcocked figure about 30 minutes per pound @ 275. Don’t forget to add in 30-45 minutes rest time.

Good woods that really complement turkey are Apple, cherry, or pecan. Favorite around here is 50/50 mix of cherry and pecan.

0B24DAC6-6DD1-488E-8B3C-9CF61FFC255B.jpeg
Leave it in the smoker until you hit an IT of 150 then move it to the oven to crisp it up. If the turkey is whole and not spatchcocked figure about 30 minutes per pound @ 275. Don’t forget to add in 30-45 minutes rest time.

Good woods that really complement turkey are Apple, cherry, or pecan. Favorite around here is 50/50 mix of cherry and pecan.

Thanks dirtsailor (love that, by the way), so far so good. Here’s a pic. Hit 150 a little early after only 3 hours though, this Pit Barrel Cooker is really efficient. Pulled it and have it sitting in a cambro, will finish it at 3:00 (an hour from now) in a 375 over.

ACDB21E2-9D51-44D8-95FA-ED4343F74654.jpeg
Thanks Al! Here’s the final product, roasted breast-side-down in the oven for the last hour, came out great, crisp skin and a great smokey flavor. I used NO wood, only Humphrey’s all natural wood briquettes. Many thanks to you all for your comments and all the great info I’ve gotten from the forums! Happy Thanksgiving all!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky