Yum Yum Chicken

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

disco

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Oct 31, 2012
Canadian Rockies
I must start with an apology to Koreans for many parts of this post. I love Korean Fried Chicken. It has a great crisp texture with a complex sweet sauce. The first time I saw it was in a post on youtube.

They double fried chicken and made a Yangnyeom sauce. My western ears heard Yum Yum sauce. Talk about inappropriate cultural appropriation. I am so sorry.

I noted there were ingredients hard to find here. She used red paste which research suggests to me was gochujang, a Korean chili paste. So, if I was going to make this recipe I was in trouble from the start.

Then, I sought it out and found a local restaurant served this, I tried it and immediately fell in love. However, it was a little spicy for my old Canadian system.

Here is where I stood. If I tried to use alternate ingredients, made it less spicy, and changed it would I be making Korean fried chicken? I decided, no. However, I wanted to make something similar.

So, I used my mishearing version of the sauce and will call this dish Yum Yum Chicken. Not as a joke but out of respect to the original dish which I hope you get to try. To call my recipe Korean Fried Chicken would be a disservice. I would encourage you to try the real Korean Fried Chicken. You will love it.

Loving using my Traeger Timberline, I decided to use an oven “fried” chicken recipe from my Double D “Fried” Chicken recipe to “fry” the chicken as I find the double fried version of the original chicken messy.

For the sauce, I will use commercial Chili Sauce instead of the Korean hotter version. I will add Sriracha for heat if desired. Use none for mild, 1 ml (1/4 teaspoon) for a touch of heat and 3 ml (1/2 teaspoon) for a nice warmth.

Now, let’s get started!

It was just She Who Must Be Obeyed so I used four chicken thigs (about 500 grams (1.2 pounds) of chicken thighs. You can use any chicken pieces you like.

I mixed up a marinade of:

• 250 ml (1 cup) milk
  • 15 ml (1 tablespoons) Sriracha or Buffalo wing sauce
  • 5 ml (1 teaspoons) salt
  • 5 ml (1 teaspoons) sugar
  • 1 egg
I mixed these ingredients together and put the thighs in to marinade for 3 hours in the fridge. I turned them a couple of times to coat.

Yum Yum Chicken 01.jpg

While they were marinating I made the Yum Yum sauce. I mixed the following in a small sauce pan:

• 25 ml (2 tablespoons) chili sauce
  • 25 ml (2 tablespoons) honey
  • 25 ml (2 tablespoons) brown sugar
  • 20 ml (4 teaspoons) ketchup
  • 15 ml (1 tablespoon) minced garlic
  • 8 ml (1 1/2 teaspoon) soy sauce
  • 5 ml (1 teaspoon) sesame oil
  • 5 ml (1 teaspoon) rice vinegar
  • 3 ml (1/2 teaspoon) ground ginger
  • 1 to 3 ml (1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon) Sriracha, optional
Put the pan over medium heat and stir until just bubbly. Remove from heat and set aside.

Yum Yum Chicken 02.jpg

You can make this in a smoker or an oven. If doing in an oven, put the chicken on a rack over a tray. All other steps are the same.

I mixed the following flour dredge in a low casserole:

• 175 ml (3/4 cup) flour
  • 5 ml (1 teaspoons) ground ginger
  • 3 ml (1/2 teaspoon) salt
  • 3 ml (1/2 teaspoon) onion powder
  • 3 ml (1/2 teaspoon) garlic powder
When you are doing a chicken dredge, only use your left hand to take the chicken out of the liquid and your right hand to shovel flour over the chicken and take it out.

Take a piece of chicken out of the liquid with your left hand and put it in the flour mixture. Scoop flour over it and turn to coat. Put it on a plate in a single layer. Repeat with the remaining pieces.

Yum Yum Chicken 03.jpg

Take the chicken on the plate to the left side of the marinade. Put a piece in the marinade with your left hand. Lift it out with the left hand and put it in the flour mixture. Shovel the flour over the chicken with your right hand and turn to coat. Put it on a plate and repeat with remaining pieces.

Yum Yum Chicken 04.jpg

A note, since I did my Double D “Fried” Chicken several people with older smokers have got back to me. Their smokers have more radiant heat from below and cook the chicken faster than an oven or my Traeger Timberline which have a more consistent heat. So, when you cook the chicken, I will be recommending that you start checking at 20 minutes but understand that it can take up to 35 minutes for the chicken to be ready to be brushed.

Put the chicken in a 400 F (205 C) smoker or oven and cook. Start checking for a touch of browning on the edges of the chicken at 20 minutes. In an oven, it will likely take 30 minutes or longer.

Brush the chicken with vegetable oil and cook until golden brown and the internal temperature is 180 F or over. This will take from 15 to 30 minutes depending on the amount of radiant heat from your oven or smoker.

Yum Yum Chicken 05.jpg

Take the chicken and put it in a large bowl. Pour the sauce over it and toss to coat.

Put the chicken on a plate and sprinkle 50 ml (1/4 cup) chopped green onion over it.

Yum-Yum-Chicken-06.jpg

She Who Must Be Obeyed made a great vegetable chow mein to go with the chicken.

Yum Yum Chicken 07.jpg

Yum Yum Chicken 08.jpg

The Verdict

Don’t make this. Really, don’t make this. It is absolutely delicious and if you make it you will be addicted. The sweet, spicy sauce and the crispy skin are just incredible. I don’t want to be responsible for you pigging out like I did.

Yum-Yum-Chicken-09.jpg

However, authentic Korean fried chicken, it is delicious! However, I do encourage you to try the original dish. It is even better.

Disco

Attachments

• Yum Yum Chicken 09.jpg
    Yum Yum Chicken 09.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
I had Korean chicken while I was in Korea for a military exercise. And loved it.I would have it with Yaki Mandu. I've had it a few times state side. And while it was good. It just didn't add up to what I had there. I'm going to give this a try. Thanks for posting!

Love your posts and the different authentic cuisines you make.

Wow! Blushing here! I'm just a fat old Canadian who's mind goes into overdrive when I see something that looks tasty. However, your words are very kind and appreciated.

I had Korean chicken while I was in Korea for a military exercise. And loved it.I would have it with Yaki Mandu. I've had it a few times state side. And while it was good. It just didn't add up to what I had there. I'm going to give this a try. Thanks for posting!

I would love to try it in Korea! This is a very tasty dish but it isn't authentic Korean chicken. It is just this Canadian's homage to it! However, if you try it, I think you will like it!

Reactions: Central PA Cowboy
You might be looking at another ride on the carousel Disco, those thigh look fantastic! Like, RAY

Another home run Disco. Between these and those competition thighs you’ve become the chicken whisperer!! Good stuff.

Chicken sounds great. I don't know if Amazon delivers to you but the Gochujang and Gochugaru below are Mild...JJ

I bet it tastes yum yum.
Plus your giving me an idea to adapt your recipe to use Carbquick instead of flour.

Dang man. Looks delicious. Nice post!

That is so kind! Thanks!

You might be looking at another ride on the carousel Disco, those thigh look fantastic! Like, RAY

I doubt my thighs would be on the carousel. Oh, you mean the chicken? Thanks, Ray.

Another home run Disco. Between these and those competition thighs you’ve become the chicken whisperer!! Good stuff.

Har! Not by choice. I like chicken but have done a lot of it recently due to availability and cost issues. There was less pork selection for a while and I would need to sell an organ to afford beef. However, thanks so much for the compliment!

Reactions: jcam222
Chicken sounds great. I don't know if Amazon delivers to you but the Gochujang and Gochugaru below are Mild...JJ

Thanks, Chef. Amazon's Canadian operation doesn't have the selection as the US Amazon and what few food stuff it sells is expensive. Normally, I make a list of what I want with international ingredients for when I go to the big smoke to visit relatives but that won't be happening for some time.

I bet it tastes yum yum.
Plus your giving me an idea to adapt your recipe to use Carbquick instead of flour.

Cool! I look forward to the post!

This looks fantastic! Gonna try it hopefully next week. I also looked up your Double D Fried Chicken, and we're gonna do that too. You're making us Chicken lovers again, which is good. Wife and me usually only have it 1-2 times a month.
Thank you for revitalizing the Chicken industry. LOL

Mike

Awesome write-up and really good looking plate. I’ll be adding this to my to do soon list!

As great as your plate up picture looks, your chicken had to be fantastic, Disco.

Your wifes Chow Mein looks real good too. Did she make a sauce for it? How about a run down of what all's in it?

This looks fantastic! Gonna try it hopefully next week. I also looked up your Double D Fried Chicken, and we're gonna do that too. You're making us Chicken lovers again, which is good. Wife and me usually only have it 1-2 times a month.
Thank you for revitalizing the Chicken industry. LOL

Mike

Har! Thanks so much! We have been eating a lot of chicken as it has been a reasonable price and beef is so expensive you start bartering with the birth of your first born.

Wow another out of the park hit by Disco. Awesome post and great looking chicken.

Warren

You are very kind, Warren! Thanks.

Reactions: MJB05615
Awesome write-up and really good looking plate. I’ll be adding this to my to do soon list!

Thanks! I hope you like it as much as we do.

As great as your plate up picture looks, your chicken had to be fantastic, Disco.

Your wifes Chow Mein looks real good too. Did she make a sauce for it? How about a run down of what all's in it?

Thanks! I asked She Who Must Be Obeyed for her chow mein recipe. She snorted in derision. She kind of throws things together with what she's got. The base is chicken stock, soy, Sriracha and a touch of lemon. Sorry!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky