Double D "Fried" Chicken

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

disco

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Oct 31, 2012
Canadian Rockies
I do love fried chicken. I do hate frying chicken. Frying chicken is messy and adds a lot of fat to chicken. To get around this, a lot of us do a “fried” chicken in our ovens and smokers.

Oven chicken can make a nice crispy “fried” chicken, but can it give the thick crunchy coating you get with double dipped fried chicken? This is my attempt to find out.

I did this recipe in my Traeger Timberline.

I started by cutting a chicken into pieces. Instead of cutting chicken into pieces you can just use chicken pieces. However, the chicken must have skin on for this to work. Most of the fat in chicken is at the skin and it helps make the great coating.

To cut the chicken, I started by cutting down both sides of the backbone and removing it. I save it for making stock. Then I put the point of a heavy knife into the joint of the drumsticks and cut them off. I cut the thighs off the body of the chicken.

Double D Fried Chicken 01.jpg

I worked the point of the knife into the joint attaching the wings to the chicken and cut them off. I cut the breasts into two halves and cut across both halves to make four breast sections.

Double D Fried Chicken 02.jpg

This gave me ten chicken pieces. As I said, you can just use 1.2 to 1.5 kg (2 ½ to 3 pounds) skin on chicken parts.

Double D Fried Chicken 03.jpg

I mixed up a marinade of:

• 500 ml (2 cups) milk
  • 25 ml (2 tablespoons) Sriracha or Buffalo wing sauce
  • 10 ml (2 teaspoons) salt
  • 10 ml (2 teaspoons) sugar
  • 1 egg
Mix the ingredients together and pour them over the chicken in a nonreactive container. Put it in the fridge for 3 hours to marinade, stirring around twice.

Double D Fried Chicken 04.jpg

Mix up a coating mix of:

• 350 ml (1 ½ cup) flour
  • 10 ml (2 teaspoons) your favourite barbecue rub
  • 6 ml (1 ¼ teaspoon) salt
  • 6ml (1 ¼ teaspoon) onion powder
  • 6 ml (1 ¼ teaspoon) garlic powder
For the next steps, send your wife out of the room. If she sees what a mess you are going to make you will get the hairy eyeball and a serious tongue clucking. Don’t say I didn’t warn you.

Make a dipping station. Put the container with the marinade on the left. Next to it, put the coating mix in a low casserole or tray. To the right of the coating mix, put a large plate or tray.

Lift a chicken piece out of the marinade with your left hand. Lay it on top of the flour in the casserole. Shovel flour over the chicken with your dry right hand to coat. Lift the chicken out of the flour with your dry right hand and put it on the plate. Repeat with each piece putting on the plate in a single layer.

Double D Fried Chicken 05.jpg

Move the chicken on the plate to the left of the marinade and put another large plate to the right of the coating mix. Lift a piece of chicken with your left hand and dip it in the marinade. Put the chicken on the flour mixture with your left hand. Shovel flour over it with your dry right hand. Lift the piece out of the mixture with your dry right hand and put it on the clean plate. Repeat to give each piece the second dip and coating and put in a single layer on the clean plate.

Let the chicken rest for 15 minutes for the coating to set up.

Double D Fried Chicken 06.jpg

I put the chicken, skin side up, in a 400 F (205 C) smoker for about 35 minutes. The chicken should just start to be getting some golden on the edges of the chicken.

Brush the chicken pieces with oil. Do not turn them.

Double D Fried Chicken 07.jpg

Cook for 30 minutes more and start checking the chicken. When the chicken is browned as much as you like, check the internal temperature to make sure it is over 170 F (75 C) and take off the smoker (it will likely be way over 170 F (75 C)). This can take up to 40 minutes depending on the air circulation in your smoker.

Let the chicken rest for 5 minutes and serve.

Double D Fried Chicken 09.jpg

Double D Fried Chicken 08.jpg

The Verdict

This is incredible chicken. It isn’t just crispy, it crunches. The coating has a well seasoned taste and the chicken is tender and moist. You must try this.

Disco

Looks fantastic Disco! I may have to try this. Not sure how it will work on my UDS but ill give it a try.

Looks great Disco!! I especially loved the comment about getting the wife out of the kitchen before the mess lol. Mines so accustomed to that during my cooking she now just stays clear when I’m in there haha.
Bu the way the title of Double D chicken had me thinking you were cooking incredibly large chicken breasts! :)

Reactions: Brokenhandle
Wholly Molly!! that sounds awesome. I too love fried chicken but fer one... can't do it right and fer two don't like all the grease.. and I am the wife so I won't get the "hairy eye" because of the mess!!!!

Looks Great Disco.
My Smoker only goes to 275°, so I do mine in the Air Fryer.
If you weren't so far away, I'd be stealing some from that plate!!
Like.

Bear

Reactions: disco
Looks fantastic Disco! I may have to try this. Not sure how it will work on my UDS but ill give it a try.

Thanks! If you can get the temperature up to 400 F it should be fine.

Looks great Disco!! I especially loved the comment about getting the wife out of the kitchen before the mess lol. Mines so accustomed to that during my cooking she now just stays clear when I’m in there haha.
Bu the way the title of Double D chicken had me thinking you were cooking incredibly large chicken breasts! :)

You are lucky! My missus hovers and cleans behind me. As for Double D, I have no idea what you mean. I am much too politically correct for any thought like that.

Wholly Molly!! that sounds awesome. I too love fried chicken but fer one... can't do it right and fer two don't like all the grease.. and I am the wife so I won't get the "hairy eye" because of the mess!!!!

Har! That is one less step for you in the recipe then! Thanks for the kind words.

Looks Great Disco.
My Smoker only goes to 275°, so I do mine in the Air Fryer.
If you weren't so far away, I'd be stealing some from that plate!!
Like.

Bear

Thanks, Bear! This would go great in an airfryer but us poor Canadians can't afford all the toys you rich Americans can.

Man that looks tasty.

Thank you!

Looks Great! That looks like it could be adopted to my favorite Nashville Hot!

That would be great! I look forward to the post so I can try it!

That will work just fine. I am without a smoker right now but, I can give this a try in my oven. I'm a big fan of Butter Milk for Chicken and even drinking. Grandma got me drinking Butter Milk 50 years ago. An acquired taste for sure...JJ

Dang you used that snail mail maybe the next time.

Warren

You have an open invite. Come on up, I'll cook for you!

That will work just fine. I am without a smoker right now but, I can give this a try in my oven. I'm a big fan of Butter Milk for Chicken and even drinking. Grandma got me drinking Butter Milk 50 years ago. An acquired taste for sure...JJ

Buttermilk isn't always available here. However, I have been experimenting with yogurt with good results in baking. I am thinking of using it in the chicken marinade.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky