Yeast Shortage?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BandCollector

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Am I the only one noticing a yeast shortage at the grocery stores?

I went to four different stores and there was none to be found.

I was craving soft pretzels, pizza, and homemade bread.

I am suspecting that the yeast manufactures are supplying the distilleries who are making hand sanitizer instead of supplying consumers.

What do you guys and gals think?

John

Last edited:
I have not noticed. Bread Yeast is not the most efficient Alcohol producer so not likely being used for Hand Sanitizer. But, it don't take folks long to figure out...If you can't Buy Bread, Make It. A 3-pack is good for a weeks worth of bread so people are snatching them up 4 or so at a time...JJ

I was at BJs this morning there wasn't any Eggs I almost bought a 10# bag of flour,have another store to hit tomorrow at 5:30 AM,I'll put yeast on my list.
Richie

Reactions: Will Squared
That's something I always keep on hand along with flour .
Any box bread mix on the shelf ? Grab it for the yeast in a pinch ?
BandCollector BandCollector mixed up a batch of the recipe you gave me yesterday .

We couldn't find yeast or flour. Judy needs the flour to feed her sourdough, even if we don't make any bread, she still needs the flour.
Al

Crazy around here, plenty of bread, meat and veggies, No sugar or Flour

Gary

Time for sour dough I guess :emoji_laughing: BEAT ME

WILD... Looked up Amazon and all gone... As homebrewer I have quite a stash in my fridge, including some for bread. They are showing homebrew yeast in stock (for now). All yeast works. As I am certified beer tasting judge you would want US05 for neutral flavor but other yeasts could offer some tasty results.

https://pastrychefonline.com/baking-with-brewers-yeast/

The baking aisles in our stores are completely bare. No flour, yeast, sugar, salt, panko, chocolate chips. Nothing.

Also checked on Amazon nad most are out of yeast.

SLC is out of sugar...found the last jar of yeast at a target a week ago. crazy times. I just wanted to make a pizza...

Yikes! I noticed the baking supplies aisle at Meijer this morning were pretty cleaned out, which kind of surprised me but I didn't need anything so I didn't worry about. I didn't think about yeast!
I checked and there's still enough in the jar for a few loaves.
I'm more worried about eggs....

Seeing this made me check the pantry, got a half dozen envelopes of yeast and maybe 8 pounds of bread flour. That should last a bit but I'll be sure to spend it wisely. RAY

I just flushed a packet of yeast down the toilet into our septic tank.

Chris

Reactions: TNJAKE
Seeing this made me check the pantry, got a half dozen envelopes of yeast and maybe 8 pounds of bread flour. That should last a bit but I'll be sure to spend it wisely. RAY
Ray be sure to check the expiry date.
Richie
I am glad I didn't toss what was left in an envelope I opened this morning to make No Knead Bread tomorrow.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky