Yeast Shortage?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Reactions: Will Squared
We just got back from vacation in a small town on the northern California Coast. Both grocery stores had flour but were out of yeast. I had though about bringing yeast with us from our fridge, but figured I'd just buy some up there. Didn't expect a shortage.

Go figure? Didn't think there'd be enough people left that make or even know how to make bread from scratch.

Local grocery store was out of eggs last week. Walmart had a good stock.
Co-worker of my wife has a small farm.
She keeps us pretty well supplied with fresh cackle and quack berries.

What's the next shortage?

Go figure? Didn't think there'd be enough people left that make or even know how to make bread from scratch.

They probably don't. Cracks me up: plenty of meat and fresh stuff veggies in stores here but ZERO frozen "heat and serve" food. Even worse, I actually know many families that eat out/pick up every single meal.

and also sour dough starters (which i just pulled the trigger on).

You can make your own starter in probably less time than it will take for your order to arrive and become active.

The 'heirloom' starters you buy on ebay may be just that, but eventually, they will become dominated by whatever microbes are on the flour you feed them with, and the air in your home.

Here's the recipe/workflow for the starter I am currently using:https://tartinebakery.com/stories/country-bread
Scale it to whatever size you need.

Once it's going strong, I'd suggest using this for maintenance: http://www.thefreshloaf.com/node/40918/no-muss-no-fuss-starter

Last edited:
Last Friday there were a bunch of those small jars of the active dry yeast at our market. It is the Fleischmann's brand. I'm not the one that makes bread. That would be my wife. I haven't a clue how many loaves that will yield. I would be happy to help with shipping it to somebody that needs it if I can find it again. Our market restocks almost daily. If you go first thing in the morning they generally have most of the things that you would need. Toilet paper is the exception to the rule.

G

About a week ago I looked for yeast. And there was none to be found anywhere. Ordered a 2 pound pouch off e-bay for a fair price. Now they are going for 50.00 on up to 90.00 for 2 pounds! I'm going to portion it out, vacuum seal it. And put it in the freezer.

Last edited:
I'll be switching to making Italian biga bread That's not a pun or slur, and I just saw it for the first time. Good thing I'm half Italian. It only uses 1/2 tsp yeast, and you can actually get away with using 1/4 tsp. It'll stretch whatever you have on hand.

I went to the store last night and noticed that the vinegar shelf was cleaned off.
The pickles were cleaned out too.
Does ph affect Covid-19?

You can make your own starter in probably less time than it will take for your order to arrive and become active.

The 'heirloom' starters you buy on ebay may be just that, but eventually, they will become dominated by whatever microbes are on the flour you feed them with, and the air in your home.

Here's the recipe/workflow for the starter I am currently using:https://tartinebakery.com/stories/country-bread
Scale it to whatever size you need.

Once it's going strong, I'd suggest using this for maintenance: http://www.thefreshloaf.com/node/40918/no-muss-no-fuss-starter
I got a few "heirloom" starters and noticed they kinda slowed down for a few weeks and then picked up again when the local flora took over.
I also buy my flour from a local mill (30 miles away) so the natural yeasts in the flour are local as well.
I can start a batch most anytime. I don't bake enough products to warrant keeping and feeding a Herman.

I went to the store last night and noticed that the vinegar shelf was cleaned off.
The pickles were cleaned out too.
Does ph affect Covid-19?

The only over the counter item I've heard that may help prevent Corona is Vitamin D. It helps build up your immunity system.

Chris

I'll be switching to making Italian biga bread That's not a pun or slur, and I just saw it for the first time. Good thing I'm half Italian. It only uses 1/2 tsp yeast, and you can actually get away with using 1/4 tsp. It'll stretch whatever you have on hand.

Just pulled one out of the oven,it is one of the only breads that come out right for me. LOL
100_0328.JPG
No yeast at 2 stores I went to today,got TP,Flour and Eggs
Richie

Reactions: sawhorseray
Go figure? Didn't think there'd be enough people left that make or even know how to make bread from scratch. Local grocery store was out of eggs last week. Walmart had a good stock. What's the next shortage?

No kidding, aside from a few of the guys on here I'm the only one I know of that make my own bread and pizza dough from scratch. In the big grocery stores some of the fresh bread in the bakery section looks to be pretty decent. If push comes to shove I'll get my burger buns and sausage rolls there for awhile and save my yeast for pizza dough. Geez, you'd think it was toilet paper or something. RAY

Reactions: forktender
Seeing this made me check the pantry, got a half dozen envelopes of yeast and maybe 8 pounds of bread flour. That should last a bit but I'll be sure to spend it wisely. RAY

You can order flour and a block of yeast on amazon still.
We can't find flour, or yeast out here either and sugar is getting low, I had no Idea there were so many bakers around me.

I buy 1lb bulk yeast for $4.00 from Central Milling Co they are 40 minutes from me, and put it in a Ball jar and freeze it....one block last me a whole year because I mainly use a Sourdough starter now.
I also keep a rescue batch of my sourdough starter in the freezer, and I keep my starter in the refer and only feed it twice a month when I'm not using it. I haven't made bread or pizza in a month with the move and all.

The lady at our store said to go early in the morning if you need flour or sugar. I was bummed to find out that Central Milling Co in Petaluma CA isn't selling to the public right now out of their store.
I guess you can order it still though.....I need to find out because I need a 50lb bag of their 00 pizza flour I use it for pretty much all of my baking, pizza and pasta making.

Holy cow, I just looked at Central Milling Co web page they are sold out of many of their bread flours and all of their pizza flour. This is pretty spooky because they are the people that make the flour.
A lot of pizza joints and bakeries use C.M. flour in our area, but still a mill being sold out of flour isn't right.

Last edited:
Am I the only one noticing a yeast shortage at the grocery stores?

I went to four different stores and there was none to be found.

I was craving soft pretzels, pizza, and homemade bread.

I am suspecting that the yeast manufactures are supplying the distilleries who are making hand sanitizer instead of supplying consumers.

What do you guys and gals think?

John
Same here. Only found 1 yeast cake at 1 store - all jars and packets were gone.
Don't know what the issue is but, like you I had a hankering for bread and pizza.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky