Woke up 10º, it's definitely a Chili Day!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

schlotz

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 13, 2015
Coatesville, IN
IMG_5486.JPG

Dang do I hate really cold weather but love the temps my freezer maintains. Pulled out 1.7#s of smoked brisket, grabbed some things from the pantry and in a few minutes its all on the stove on low. Chili is one of those things that everyone makes differently, but that's what's great about the concept. Still remember a batch I got to enjoy from a friend that was basically a white bean chicken chili. Loads of flavor! Some day I've got to come up with a version that at least approaches what I remember. Anyhow, today its simple with brisket, bunch of different beans, and spices. We usually top our serving bowls with freshly grated cheese.

Stay warm and enjoy what ever you're having. :emoji_sunglasses:

Great minds think alike....again. It's colder than all get-out, sleet, snow, freezing rain, and windy. We are iced in for a couple days. I managed to get out early this morning and get the inspections done that were on the schedule and get home before it really started getting bad. As soon as I got home, I defrosted a pack of tenderloin tips and got a batch if chili going in the slow cooker. Sure makes the house smell amazing....while I'm vac sealing 45 pounds of bacon I sliced yesterday. Enjoy my friend!! I know we will :emoji_wink:

Robert

-10 here this morning, I just love Wisconsin winters!!! A hot bowl of chili is just what the Dr. ordered....

Enjoy...

JC :emoji_cat:

Reactions: Brokenhandle
10F here too! Makes me wish I didn’t have so much cooked to use up. I want soup now lol

Definitely a good day for chili! Cold here as well... 11 degrees, feels like - 1... yes, more chili!

Ryan

Appreciate you stopping by Robert. Weren't you just enjoying 80 degree weather on Sunday? Wow, what a switch. Totally with ya, on staying in and filling the house with flavor. Wife just walked in and said she'd loved coming home to smelling what was for dinner. Pretty sure your chili will be a success, so have fun staying warm and getting full. :emoji_wink:

Great idea! I would have made chili too if we got home sooner!
Alway good the next day too!

-10 here this morning, I just love Wisconsin winters!!! A hot bowl of chili is just what the Dr. ordered....

Enjoy...

JC :emoji_cat:

Whoever invented negative temps should be shot. Stay warm!

10F here too! Makes me wish I didn’t have so much cooked to use up. I want soup now lol

Bummer Jeff, hate it when that happens :emoji_laughing:. Soup, it's what for dinner.

Definitely a good day for chili! Cold here as well... 11 degrees, feels like - 1... yes, more chili!

Ryan

Agreed!

Was -3 here. Chili is definitely in the short future.

Yup! We always make a big batch to have for a couple of meals later on.

Reactions: jcam222
bunch of different beans
Darn you Matt!! All this time I thought we were friends....till now :emoji_laughing: I had a batch of traditional Texas chili going..."a bowl o' red" which is no beans, no fillers, nothing but meat and spices. A little broth if needed but that's it. Well, you came along with all these beans as Tracy was walking through and she decreed that beans must go into my sacred chili. I said NO. She whimpered, whined, cried, threw a tantrum....and I lost. My beloved bowl o' red has now been desecrated with black beans. You are now on the "Enabler" list: you enabled Tracy to ruin my chili :emoji_astonished:

Bummed and defeated,
Robert

33619733-199E-4D49-AC3D-836146A38D54.jpeg

Weird, we were 100% on same page….minus beans, but we do sometimes do chili with beans. Cold and rainy here, teleworking today so I thawed some summer brisket for a slow simmer chili. I like tomato’s in mine! Great call! Hitting the spot right now with hard bread!

Nice play on words! Looks like a good start!
Always good to keep things light Keith.

Great day for some chili ! We had ya beat by 1 degree . 3 days ago it was 60 .

That was my plan too , but someone drank all the beer !!
No beer? Now that's a serious issue Rich. Though you were better than that :emoji_laughing:

Darn you Matt!! All this time I thought we were friends....till now :emoji_laughing: I had a batch of traditional Texas chili going..."a bowl o' red" which is no beans, no fillers, nothing but meat and spices. A little broth if needed but that's it. Well, you came along with all these beans as Tracy was walking through and she decreed that beans must go into my sacred chili. I said NO. She whimpered, whined, cried, threw a tantrum....and I lost. My beloved bowl o' red has now been desecrated with black beans. You are now on the "Enabler" list: you enabled Tracy to ruin my chili :emoji_astonished:

Bummed and defeated,
Robert
I'm here all day buddy! :emoji_laughing: Oh, tell Tracy I'm glad to help out where I can.

Weird, we were 100% on same page….minus beans, but we do sometimes do chili with beans. Cold and rainy here, teleworking today so I thawed some summer brisket for a slow simmer chili. I like tomato’s in mine! Great call! Hitting the spot right now with hard bread!

That looks mighty good Jed!

Last edited:
Reactions: indaswamp
You've influenced my meal planning. Friday is going to be chili day.
I don't have enough smoked brisket but I have chopped up brisket....

You've influenced my meal planning. Friday is going to be chili day.
I don't have enough smoked brisket but I have chopped up brisket....
That's the beauty of chili, you can make it with ever you've got.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky