Rainy Day Slow Cooker Chuck Roast (Pics)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tx smoker

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 14, 2013
Lago Vista, Texas
Last Friday was just a yucky day. Cloudy, raining, windy, and chilly. Early in the morning I read a couple threads from folks about them doing Mississippi Pot Roast and that just got me wanting something similar. Didn't go the MS route, but decided to just do it in my tried and true manner. I had a 3# Chuckie in the freezer that I grabbed and got things rolling.

The roast right out of the freezer.
040.jpg

Into the slow cooker with beef gravy, beef broth, a little salt, black pepper, garlic powder, and minced onion.
041.jpg

This is at the 10 hour mark. Tracy came in about 3:00 and informed that she was going to a neighbor's for wine, cheese, and appetizers and wouldn't be home for dinner. Chuckie into the fridge till the next day at this point.
042.jpg

Early the next morning I got it going again set on low temp for a couple hours just to heat back up then down to "keep warm", where it stayed all day. As dinner time was approaching I cut up some fresh green beans and put them into the steamer.
043.jpg

Did some Orzo in my little rice cooker. It's all done and keeping warm.
044.jpg

Green beans done. Tossed with a splash of my homemade garlic and herb infused olive oil and fresh grated Parmesan cheese. God this is ugly!!
045.jpg

Roast out of the slow cooker and onto the cutting board. I had to use two spatulas to get it out so it didn't disintegrate.
046.jpg

Pull enough for our dinner.
047.jpg

Plated. Roast on top of the Orzo and covered with about a quart of the gravy and the beans.
048.jpg

Close up.
049.jpg

Man this was good!! Basically two days with the roast slow simmering in that decadent gravy and it was super tender, moist, and succulent. I've done the chuck roasts like this before but that added day in the slow cooker really amped up the flavor. Couple that with the Orzo, which IMHO is vastly superior to noodles, and it was pure down-home comfort food. The beans were extremely good also and we thoroughly enjoyed them. Both of us love green beans but as embarrassed as I am to say it, I've never steamed them fresh before....but now I'll never open another can of them either :emoji_wink: Tossed with the EVOO and cheese, they were outstanding. Matter of fact, I did another batch last night with dinner and put the three cans that were in the pantry into the basket to donate to the local food bank. A true game changer, that's for sure.

Well, gonna call this one dine...finally. Y'all take care, stay safe, and I'll see everybody soon.

Robert

Last Friday was just a yucky day. Cloudy, raining, windy, and chilly. Early in the morning I read a couple threads from folks about them doing Mississippi Pot Roast and that just got me wanting something similar. Didn't go the MS route, but decided to just do it in my tried and true manner. I had a 3# Chuckie in the freezer that I grabbed and got things rolling.

The roast right out of the freezer.
View attachment 648300

Into the slow cooker with beef gravy, beef broth, a little salt, black pepper, garlic powder, and minced onion.
View attachment 648301

This is at the 10 hour mark. Tracy came in about 3:00 and informed that she was going to a neighbor's for wine, cheese, and appetizers and wouldn't be home for dinner. Chuckie into the fridge till the next day at this point.
View attachment 648302

Early the next morning I got it going again set on low temp for a couple hours just to heat back up then down to "keep warm", where it stayed all day. As dinner time was approaching I cut up some fresh green beans and put them into the steamer.
View attachment 648305

Did some Orzo in my little rice cooker. It's all done and keeping warm.
View attachment 648306

Green beans done. Tossed with a splash of my homemade garlic and herb infused olive oil and fresh grated Parmesan cheese. God this is ugly!!
View attachment 648307

Roast out of the slow cooker and onto the cutting board. I had to use two spatulas to get it out so it didn't disintegrate.
View attachment 648308

Pull enough for our dinner.
View attachment 648309

Plated. Roast on top of the Orzo and covered with about a quart of the gravy and the beans.
View attachment 648310

Close up.
View attachment 648311

Man this was good!! Basically two days with the roast slow simmering in that decadent gravy and it was super tender, moist, and succulent. I've done the chuck roasts like this before but that added day in the slow cooker really amped up the flavor. Couple that with the Orzo, which IMHO is vastly superior to noodles, and it was pure down-home comfort food. The beans were extremely good also and we thoroughly enjoyed them. Both of us love green beans but as embarrassed as I am to say it, I've never steamed them fresh before....but now I'll never open another can of them either :emoji_wink: Tossed with the EVOO and cheese, they were outstanding. Matter of fact, I did another batch last night with dinner and put the three cans that were in the pantry into the basket to donate to the local food bank. A true game changer, that's for sure.

Well, gonna call this one dine...finally. Y'all take care, stay safe, and I'll see everybody soon.

Robert
What a great meal for a crappy day, I need to do a chuckie one of these days never had one.

• Wow
Reactions: Brokenhandle
Wonderful comfort food Robert. Great choice on nasty days! That extra day had to hit it out of the park for flavor.

Robert that is a nice-looking plate of comfort food, with the highs forecast to not be above 30 degs this week that is heaven!

Killer job as always Robert!
We use our crock pot so much in the winter, it stays on the counter!
Al

Looks great, Robert (as usual LOL)!
We got rid of the crock pot years ago because we just didn't use it, though I saved the crock for sausage mixing. Chuck roasts are done here in an enameled C.I. Dutch Oven now.
Good quality fresh green beans are kind of hit and miss to find here and I've never tried steaming them, but it's time to try it.
I have 3 chuckies in the freezer from a sale a few weeks ago and you've just influenced my meal planning. The Mrs. will no doubt want potatoes, carrots and onions with the roast but I can do some Orzo on the side. Never had it. I like to try new things, her not so much :emoji_slight_frown:

Reactions: Brokenhandle
Awesome looking Chuck! Two days would do it🤣 decadent and incredibly tasty looking cook Robert, points for sure!

Looks great Robert! Just hard to beat a good tender chuck via any cooking method.
Thank you Jeff. that one was so good I ordered two more of them, which just showed up from CPB. Weather is turning nasty and it's nice to have the comfort food on hand.

Robert

Reactions: jcam222
What a great meal for a crappy day, I need to do a chuckie one of these days never had one.
Thanks so much Cliff. A chuck roast is one of the best meals on the planet if you take your time and let it cook until fall-apart tender. Creating a tasty sauce or gravy for it to steep in is a huge bonus too :emoji_wink:

Robert

Reactions: Retired Spook
Good looking meal! In fact our last two chuck roasts were done in the crock pot also. Have some orzo in the Pantry to try, never had it before either. I know it makes for ugly plating but...I can still see the orzo, your gravy ratio is having a drought lol!

Ryan

• Haha
Reactions: DRKsmoking
Excellent looking meal Robert. We're still in the 60s here so theres been a welcome delay in the comfort food category.

Point for sure
Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky