• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

AZPitman

Original poster
Oct 16, 2019
I will be hosting my first Thanksgiving this year and my family has never had grilled turkey. We are thinking of getting approximately a 16 pound bird. I just want to make sure it will fit. I am using a Dyno-Glo 4 Burner Gas Grill Model# DGF493PNP-D. Does anyone know if this size bird will fit on this grill whether whole or spatchcock? Any other pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys!

Never grilled a whole turkey before. If I had to guess it would fit spatching it but you cooking it direct heat like that might burn up the outside before the inside gets done. If it fit vertical wise on a beer can chicken rack or a turkey cannon you might get better results that way.

Do you have a smoker you could use?

Does anyone know if this size bird will fit on this grill whether whole or spatchcock?

Grilled? Then I would cut into individual pieces - wings, drums, breasts, etc. - or at least quarters. Personally, I wouldn't grill a turkey. You might be able to setup an indirect zone, but you might only be able to light one burner - which may not get hot enough. Why not just use the oven?

Reactions: JC in GB
I spatch and cook whole chickens on my grill, no problems with the cooking aspect.
Turkey is treated just like a big chicken, if it fits it'll cook just fine.
Spatchcocking is great for even of cooking of poultry.

I'd not try to grill a bird not Spatchcocked.

As for fit, I don't know.
I know it'd fit my Char Broil Tru-Infrared Commercial 4 burner.

You can even place small chuncks of wood over a burner and get some smoke while the lid is shut.

I've cooked on my grill using my indirect heat from one or two burners, 400°+, just like roasting in a smoker or oven.

No, I do not have a smoker. But I have tried to cook indirect when it comes to most of my cooks on my grill. I have seen some videos online Spatchcocking a turkey and cooking around 275 for 3 hours. Any idea if this should work? Obviously, I would do indirect with most likely only one burner on.

I use my Genesis as an oven alot . I doubt one burner will get the job done .
Mine is a 3 burner , so I pre heat with all 3 , then shut the middle off , leave the 2 outside burning . Food goes in the middle . I would want 400 , no less that 375 . For a turkey I would take the breast off whole , leave the bone in . Do the leg quarters . That way you can move stuff around as need , to cook or crisp the skin .

If , I had never done this , and was going to do it for Thanksgiving I would do a trial run before the day of .

I always liked 2 smaller birds , than 1 bigger one .

I use my Genesis as an oven alot . I doubt one burner will get the job done .
Mine is a 3 burner , so I pre heat with all 3 , then shut the middle off , leave the 2 outside burning . Food goes in the middle . I would want 400 , no less that 375 . For a turkey I would take the breast off whole , leave the bone in . Do the leg quarters . That way you can move stuff around as need , to cook or crisp the skin .

If , I had never done this , and was going to do it for Thanksgiving I would do a trial run before the day of .

I always liked 2 smaller birds , than 1 bigger one .

Hey, thanks for the reply. So you think cutting it by and placing on the grill with the two outside burners would work best? Or maybe instead of a 16lb bird I do a couple 8 pounders?

I know I shouldn't go off of timing, but what do you think a cook like this timing wise should take at 375? Because obviously want to make sure all the food is ready and hot around the same time.

Hey, thanks for the reply. So you think cutting it by and placing on the grill with the two outside burners would work best? Or maybe instead of a 16lb bird I do a couple 8 pounders?

It might be helpful to clarify what you want. You initially stated that you wanted grilled turkey. This implies that you want to cook it over high, direct heat. If you just want to roast it in your grill, that's a different story. Using your grill as an oven is useful if you can't or don't want to cook in your kitchen oven for some reason. But unless you add smoke, it's not going to taste any different than cooking indoors and may not work as well as your oven.

It might be helpful to clarify what you want. You initially stated that you wanted grilled turkey. This implies that you want to cook it over high, direct heat. If you just want to roast it in your grill, that's a different story. Using your grill as an oven is useful if you can't or don't want to cook in your kitchen oven for some reason. But unless you add smoke, it's not going to taste any different than cooking indoors and may not work as well as your oven.

Hi, I want to grill the turkey from start to finish. I would prefer indirect, but if that is not 100% than im fine with direct. I just want some pointers on the best way to grill a 16lb turkey on a gas grill with four burners? If 16lbs is too much, than maybe two 8lb turkeys would be better. Any advice or pointers along the way would be greatly appreciated.

My favorite would be rotisserie. Sounds like you don't have one, but perhaps you may consider splurging for one for thanksgiving.

If you have a 4 burner, it should definitely fit. Indirect, standing would be best. If not, laid on its back would be fine. If want smoked, get some chips wrapped in foil with a couple holes poked in it. Have done many this way before smoker.

Reactions: chopsaw
If you have a 4 burner, it should definitely fit. Indirect, standing would be best. If not, laid on its back would be fine. If want smoked, get some chips wrapped in foil with a couple holes poked in it. Have done many this way before smoker.

Awesome, that is exactly what I was hoping for. What would be your best guess for temperature and timing for indirect? Just a rough idea. Was thinking also doing two burners and leaving the middle two off. What do you think? .

I am planning to do a spatchcock chicken this weekend just to practice.

Spatchcocking a turkey on a 22" webber with indirect heat is simply.......OMG!

You have the time to practice for the big day.

I might be inclined to do pieces on the grill instead of the whole bird. The bird gets carved anyway! If you wanted to do the whole bird without smoke then the oven might be best.

And 100% agree with chopsaw, two smaller birds are always better than one large one.

Reactions: chopsaw
I always did 2 burners 1 side. Put foil pan under grate with water in 1/3 full on opposite side with bird over pan. Keeps it very moist. If bird hangs over a bit over top of one of th middle burners, you can foil under a bit of the bird to keep from burning. Foil wrapped chips set on grate above flame for smoke ( couple holes poked). Set temp about 325°, was usually close to 4 hrs ( enough time for round of golf). Never did a spatched on grill. Good luck...

Thanks guys for all your pointers and advice. I think I am going to practice on a chicken this weekend and see how it goes. If all goes well I am thinking spatchcocking two 8lb turkeys, with the first and fourth burners on medium (roughly 325-350) and hopefully they are done in about 3 hours. How does that sound everyone?

Reactions: zwiller
How will you fit two birds in between the burners without having one or both over more or less direct heat on one side or another?
One bird will sit much easier in between.

That si a good question. I hadn't really measured exactly just yet, I was just figuring cook wise it may be easier for two instead of one large one. But maybe large is the way to go. Now only if I could have exact measurements on a spatchcocked 16lb bird...lol

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky