Will tri tip shred/pull.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

phathead69

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Dec 23, 2016
TN
I have a tri tip that may not be a true tri tip but have a tri tip portion on it. I was wondering I smoked it to 120 or so then insta pot it, would it work instead of chuck for pot roast/beef stew.

Is it possible to post some pics so we can see what you got there?

If it were me, I would try like heck to separate what appears to the Tri Tip from the rest of the cut.

TT is best smoked to 120ish IT for a screaming hot reverse sear finish or 135ish IT for non reverse sear.

You could use the remaining piece of meat in the insta pot for stew/pot roast but I would use the slow cooker function instead of the pressure cooker function.

You will want to season it and brown it first and then slow cook it in some liqiud on low for about 8 hours for shredding/pulling.

Last edited:
The other portion is most likely part of the sir loin, which will also be best served by cooking as you would the tri tip. If they are largely different in thickness/mass, separate them and cook separately. Otherwise I would just think of it like a porterhouse. 2 cuts in one serving.

Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
Ask yourself, would you pull a sirloin steak?

TTs are the most forgiving of the beef cuts, but pulling is not part their profile. They can finish at any IT between 110F and 200F, taste different, but still be delicious. I've made chili with them, braising for hours, but the cubed TT stays intact.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky