Why.....

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

pops6927

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jul 23, 2008
Fort Worth, Tx.
(question asked in a previous thread):

"Why are there two bacon and two cheese forums listed?  Doesn't bother me just curious."

There are specific reasons.

The First Bacon forum is for HOT SMOKED Bacons.  Anything dealing with smoking bacons to temps of 135°+ or more, belong in the Bacon forum.

The Cheese forum is for fresh cheeses - from cottage cheese to Provolone to Emmentaler to Jarlsberg to Bries, etc.

Now, under COLD SMOKED:

There is a Bacon sub-forum for COLD SMOKED Bacons - any kind of bacon that is under 135°.

There is a Cheese sub-forum for COLD SMOKED Cheeses.  

When posting about fresh cheeses (non-smoked), those should be posted under Cheese Forum.

When posting about bacons (hot smoked), those should be posted under Bacon Forum.

When posting about smoked cheeses, those should be posted under Cold Smoked - Cheese.

When posting about bacons under 135°, those should be posted under Cold Smoked - Bacon.

Thank you for asking!

What a cheesy post!  
biggrin.gif

Thanks Pop, that makes sense!

I should add where the 135° +/- delineation comes from.

Meats cooked to a minimum of 135° are considered 'partially cooked'.  They still require cooking to a finished temperature of 145°+ to be considered 'fully cooked'.  But, by achieving 'partially cooked' temperature, you have killed or severely retarded most harmful bacterias from multiplying.

If you go past 135° on to a minimum of 145°+, then the meats are considered 'fully cooked' and can be eaten safely at that, or higher, temperatures.

Hope this provides clarity! 

I should add where the 135° +/- delineation comes from.

Meats cooked to a minimum of 135° are considered 'partially cooked'.  They still require cooking to a finished temperature of 145°+ to be considered 'fully cooked'.  But, by achieving 'partially cooked' temperature, you have killed or severely retarded most harmful bacterias from multiplying.

If you go past 135° on to a minimum of 145°+, then the meats are considered 'fully cooked' and can be eaten safely at that, or higher, temperatures.

Hope this provides clarity! 
Wizard!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky