Whole smoked spare ribs on gas grill

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Leggy

Original poster
Sep 14, 2019
Got a whole spare ribs on deal from Ralph's/Kruger for 1.99/lb and decided to use Kosmos q dirty bird rub and followed Malcom Reed's recipe.
Put the rub and let it sit around 4 hours then set the grill on 250 (230-275) with swings with digital thermometer at grate level and used Amazen tube with cherry Lumberjack pellet.
Took close to 4 hours to be ready and during this time there was no spritzing or wrap.
Moist with good flavor although little bit salty but the bark was thick and too dry.
Any idea what caused this type of bark?
By the way, this is my first time smoking pork ribs

Attachments

• 20191019_122430.jpg
    20191019_122430.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 41
  • 20191019_165514.jpg
    20191019_165514.jpg
    211.1 KB · Views: 41
Reactions: SmokinAl
Try spritzing next time if you aren’t wrapping. Google rub spritz and you will find a host of them. Mostly apple juice or vinegar based.

Reactions: smokerjim
I usually do my spare ribs at 200-225 for 6-7 hours with no spritzing or wrapping and always come out good, so maybe with your higher cooking temps you'll need to spritz or wrap as jcam mentioned. that's the one of the good things about smoking even our practice runs taste good.

Thank you guys. How would the spritzing help to keep the bark from getting too dry? I thought spritzing slows down the cooking and let the meat absorbs more smoke, no?

Thank you Al. They do look good but the bark is so hard and dry making it hard to bite and chew

I will follow your method next time as Jabiru suggested and will do it St. Luis style rather than a whole spare ribs. I will avoid letting it sit rubbed for several hours.

I know the ribs go by bend or toothpick test but is there a general temp range to tell it's done? Mine was ranging between low 170 and high 190 depending which part I measure

Ribs are always a bit harder to get an accurate temp reading, I slide my probe Horizontal, in between the rib bones to the thickest part of the meat. So the probe is in centre of the meat if that makes sense.

When I use Al's method I aim for around 195F final temp and they come out perfect. I have tried many ways and find wrapping at 165F just works and is easy.

Thank you Jabiru. I am planning to give it another shot this weekend and will follow Al's recipe.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky