• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Most vertical smokers run between 1.5 - 2 btu/cu.inch. Go high to achieve those kind of temps.
While I know this is tall.. I would consider it a horizontal smoker .. though the air flow will be similar to a vertical.

I feel like after some more research and some more advice from other forums I have the heating part of this rebuild narrowed down.. just going to need to do some testing.

My next area in question is a motor and drive system. Previously this was a direct drive system which has it's flaws and I am considering a chain drive system, so if anyone has any thoughts on that, or proven designs with details I would appreciate if you can share.

While I know this is tall.. I would consider it a horizontal smoker .. though the air flow will be similar to a vertical.

I feel like after some more research and some more advice from other forums I have the heating part of this rebuild narrowed down.. just going to need to do some testing.

My next area in question is a motor and drive system. Previously this was a direct drive system which has it's flaws and I am considering a chain drive system, so if anyone has any thoughts on that, or proven designs with details I would appreciate if you can share.

I've built a couple of these units out of the same type of oil drum (working on one now on and off in my spare time). For the drive, find yourself a gear reducer, doesn't really matter if it's inline or right angle. From there you can figure out how much more you need to gear it down to make it work. Last one I did I used a v-belt with about 8:1 reduction off the reducer. I would like to try doing one with a spur gear that the rotisserie engages with when it's set in place. This eliminates installing and uninstalling the belt when putting the spit on/off.

Reactions: kilo charlie
I've built a couple of these units out of the same type of oil drum (working on one now on and off in my spare time). For the drive, find yourself a gear reducer, doesn't really matter if it's inline or right angle. From there you can figure out how much more you need to gear it down to make it work. Last one I did I used a v-belt with about 8:1 reduction off the reducer. I would like to try doing one with a spur gear that the rotisserie engages with when it's set in place. This eliminates installing and uninstalling the belt when putting the spit on/off.

I like that idea... for the moment I'm stalled on my build but I'd like to see what you come up with.

Well... I still haven't done anything with a drive system for the rotisserie or done anything to convert this to a different fuel... But I did get it sanded down and painted.

IMG_20200924_121028.jpg

Well... I still haven't done anything with a drive system for the rotisserie or done anything to convert this to a different fuel... But I did get it sanded down and painted.

View attachment 464506

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky