1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Whole chicken stuck at 143° HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Poultry' started by grootsquad, Jan 19, 2019.

1. Ive had a whole chicken in the smoker now for about 5 hours. 6.2 lb bird. Smoker at 225°. Chicken hasnt budged from 143° in over an hour. I did brine it over night last night. Is the extra moisture causing a "stall" of some kind?

I know chicken isn't supposed to do that as it doesnt have much collagen to break down.

Debating pulling it out of the smoker and putting it in the oven to finish it off.

Maybe worth noting that there are ribs in the smoker as well on the last step of 3-2-1.

2. indaswamp

indaswamp Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Chickens are best cooked at a higher temp. I'd raise the heat to at least 275*....300* would be better...

And yes, you could pull it and finish in the oven if you can not get your smoker any hotter.

3. chef jimmyj

chef jimmyj Epic Pitmaster Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Yep...Heat that oven! I would even go 400-425 to get crisp skin...JJ

JOHN CLOW likes this.
  4. "5 hours. 6.2 lb bird" YIKES, Friday I beer-canned 2-6 pounders in my garage and it only took 2hrs at 300*/P-4 to hit 172*.
    So, which one did ya move inside to finish or did ya just crank it up?
    Martin

5. SmokinAl

SmokinAl SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Are you sure that your smoker is running at 225?
    Sounds to me like it's at a lower temp.
    Are you using the factory temp gauge or do you have a remote therm, with the probe on the grate to measure the pit temp?
    Al