White tail Deer Country Sausage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Krasherjack

Original poster
Nov 29, 2017
halifax, NS
Hey guys Ima Newbe and need to run this by some experts.
Ive made this Country Sausage before and it was fantastic.

Here's what I've got:
5Lb ground deer meat
2 1/2 tsp mustard seed
3 tsp course ground pepper
1 1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 1/2tsp onion powder

heres the part I'm not sure about.
I have a package of curing salt( salt, sodium Nitrate, sodium bicarbonate, Glycerol) Original Wild West seasonings.com
directions are 70g/2.5oz per 50Lbs of meat.
reduced to 5Ibs that equals 7grams of curing salt? without a scale how many teaspoons?

Mix and let stand in fridge for 3 days...then smoke away
any recommendations or advice?

Krasher

Kind of hard to say since we don't know what the exact make up of the cure is.

A teaspoon of prague cure #1 is 5.67grams. That doesn't mean that what you have would work out to that.

I'd recommend getting a good gram scale that weighs to the hundredth. They can be obtained for around $10.
This is a good one.

Does the cureing salt cotain nitrate or nitrite. Nitrite is for smokeing at low temps for things like sausage. Nitrate is used for dry ageing meats that are not intended to be cooked.

I would not use that curing salt.. Sodium nitrate is for Looooong term curing where the meat is not intended to be cooked...
Order some curing salt that is 6.25% sodium nitrite... cure #1, Prague Powder...
....as an example....
https://www.spokanespice.com/itemdetail.php?id=133&secid=69

Use at a rate of 1 level tsp. per 5#'s of stuff.... or 1.13 grams per pound...

Good advice guys, definitely gonna get the scale, since weights are the issue.
its Definitely Sodium Nitrite, (misspelled first post) . was going to cool smoke .

Evening,just saw u were local and thought id give ya this info incase ur interested.Prime Top Cuts in middelton,great to deal with.Have everything u would want for meat cutting sausage making.Check them out online,its now the only place locally where i can obtain cultures and cures,congrats on the deer

Evening,just saw u were local and thought id give ya this info incase ur interested.Prime Top Cuts in middelton,great to deal with.Have everything u would want for meat cutting sausage making.Check them out online,its now the only place locally where i can obtain cultures and cures,congrats on the deer
Great , thanks for the info I'll check them out..

wow great stuff insta cure #1 and casings..will go down tomorrow..
thks again
Krasher

Last edited:
reduced to 5 lbs that equals 7grams of curing salt? without a scale how many teaspoons?

1.5 tsp. for 7 lbs... 1 tsp for 5#'s of stuff....

Im not 100% sure what they keep on the shelves at top cuts,so i would call ahead before making the trip to see if they have what ur looking for for.

No worries, Backcountry, just got back with a 1lb bag of Instacure #1..(Manufactured From The Sausage Maker)
Picked up a nice digital scale also, from Walmart..
as advised, Dave the wild West cure came out to 11/2 level teaspoons for 7gram. ..I'll save this for something else and
use the Instacure #1 at 1tsp per 5Ibs.
I'll Start grinding tomorrow, pics to follow;)
:)

Reactions: backcountrylivn
Hey guys mixed it all up and has been in the fridge for a day..
Its developed a greying outside colour, and still red inner..
is this outer colour what I should expect?
Recipe calls for mixing for three or four days. Whole fridge smell like Garlic:rolleyes:

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky