Which cut is better?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

suie

Meat Mopper
Original poster
May 18, 2010
Ithaca, NY
Hello all! I was browsing the large cuts of meat at the restaurant supply store today and came across these two cuts. I did a quick search on the forum, and it sounds like they could get similar treatment (rub, smoke to 135 degrees and slice thinly) But is one cut better or easier to work with than the other? Any other recommendations of what to do with either? The weather on Sunday looks to be perfect so hoping to give one of these a try. They both seemed to have a decent fat cap and marbling. 

Whole Boneless Beef Sirloin Tip

or Boneless Beef Top Butt

Thanks!

popcorn.gif
giving this a bump.  Going to be interesting to see what others say.  I would like to know too!

Kat

The "Top Sirloin" will probably be a little more tender but for $1.00/lb less I would go with the "Sirloin Tip". For thin sliced sandwich meat you probably won't notice a difference.
Slicing thin for sammies I don't like much fat so I usually lean trim as much fat as I can before smoking, it allows better penetration of seasonings and smoke and I don't have to eat or trim the fat later.

Reactions: suie
Great, thanks for the info! (and Kat for the bump!) And that's a great point about the fat. If I'm just cooking to med rare I guess I won't need to worry about it drying out.

grilling_smilie.gif

I'll be sure to post some qview!

Oh yum....that looks incredible Bear!! Okay, sirloin tip for sammies it is! I guess my only remaining question is what wood to use? I keep thinking maybe a cherry/hickory combo?

Oh yum....that looks incredible Bear!! Okay, sirloin tip for sammies it is! I guess my only remaining question is what wood to use? I keep thinking maybe a cherry/hickory combo?
Cherry/Hickory sounds Great!!!

You can't go by me, just about all I ever use is Hickory----I just love it for everything!!!

Bear

Cherry is my go to for beef. I usually mix it with Hickory or Mesquite. Combined with the sirloin it'll make some great sandwees!!!

Suie,

I'm a big fan of using a hardwood and accenting it with a fruit wood so I say go for the cherry hickory combo. Plus I know in Jeff's book, he uses cherry for his prime rib, but in the end you can't really go wrong with just hickory. Good luck!

Very helpful as always, thanks everyone! If all goes well I'll be sure to post some qview.

Where's the Qview?

For Sammies, tip is fine.  For roast or to slice for steaks,  top butt would be the one to go with.  I use mesquite or hickory for most everything, with corn cob pellets on top.

Over thirty years ago I purchased and lost the book (Cutting Up in the Kitchen, The Butchers Guide to Saving Money on Meat and Poultry by Merle Ellis). Mr. Ellis was a butcher by trade. The premise of his book was to teach the consumer how to identify and extract the different cuts of tender meat hidden in the sub primal cuts lying on the shelves of the local market. He has since passed on.

Packing Houses reduce a side of beef down to nine Primal Cuts, the Primal Cuts are further reduced to Sub Primal Cuts depending upon how their vendors place their orders.

Here is a condensed excerpt from his book: Sirloin Tip- One the most versatile cuts of beef in your butchers meat case, one that offers real money saving potential for anyone willing to do a little “Cutting up in the kitchen” is the Sirloin Tip.

The tip is part of the beef Round. In various parts of the country it is known as the Knuckle, Veiny, the Round Tip and Triangle Tip and the Crescent.

When the butcher breaks a hind quarter of beef into its sub-primal cuts he first separates the loin with all its tender steaks (T-Bones, Sirloins, etc.) from the less tender Round. And that part of the Round which lies just the thickness of a knife blade away from the tender Sirloin Steak is the Sirloin Tip.

Butchers do all kinds of magic with the Sirloin Tip. We make from it almost countless different cuts of meat to serve our meat buying public.

We slice it thin for Stroganoff. We cut steaks from it called London Broil, Essex Steaks and countless other names for marketing purposes.

But whatever else we do in the name of merchandising the Tip, in most markets we also sell at least a portion of it as Roast.

Almost without exception the Sirloin Tip Roast will sell for considerably less than other cuts of the Tip that are hiding under fancy names found in some other part of the meat counter. So when you are in the market for Beef Kabobs or Stroganoff, when you want a couple of good tender steaks without taking out a loan, look for a Sirloin Tip Roast.

The Tip is boneless, so you don’t have to be a master butcher to do your own magic. You can simply cut a steak or two off the large end. Or, you can dice it, cube it, slice it thick or thin and use it in any recipe that requires lean tender beef. It will be every bit as good as those the butcher cuts and the cost is apt to be considerably less.

This excerpt is just on the Sirloin Tip Roast. The book covers all sub-primal cuts of a Steer, Hog and Foul and the golden opportunities to be mined from each sub primal cut.

If "Cutting Up in the Kitchen" peaks your interest, I'm pleased to say that I picked up a "very good" copy this week from Amazon.com used book vendors. Prices range from $3.50-250.00. I got mine for $15.00.

Ron

I also found this gem of a video to go along with my post above this one. It's sorta like an old PSA film we saw in school with annoying audio.

Watch the second video on the right. 1&2 are basically the same but 2 has better audio.

Thanks Ron, this is very helpful! Sounds like I made the right choice in choosing the less expensive tip. I've been thinking of doing another one as I'm almost done with the frozen leftovers and it was so delicious.

Thanks too, for the video. I will check that out later. (I'm at work at the moment) 
biggrin.gif

Suie

You are quite welcome Suie,

Actually it was your post that prompted me to order the book I mentioned. Today on my way home for lunch, I stopped by our local market and had the butcher cut me a 7lb Sirloin Tip and apply some Buddy's Butt Rub to it. When I get home this afternoon, I will take it out of the refrigerator and add more rub to it, he only hit it lightly.

I haven't made up my mind yet as to when I'll be putting it in the smoker.

No Q-view, I don't know how to do that.

Wow that movie was just as you described, I felt like I was back at school! And the way they describe the flank and brisket as "inexpensive" cuts also dates it!
biggrin.gif

I think I heard him say that part of the sirloin tip portion was also called the "butt". So it sounds like both these cuts may be from the same section of the cow. 

My only reservation in buying the book, is with the names of the cuts changing it might not be useful for long. I read something about it here on the forums, but I'm not sure when it goes into effect:

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/139090/new-nomenclature

Otherwise, it does sound like an excellent reference!

Good luck with your sirloin tip!! I would love to see your q-view, if you can figure it out!

Suie

Last edited:
LOL The Brisket was 24 cents a pound. If memory serves me well..which it usually doesn't these days, the article said there was to much confusion in the market place with so many different cuts of meat available. The uninformed public was walking away and not buying the cut because they didn't know from whence it came or had never heard of it. The beef industries intention is to take it back to the basics and indicate on the package where and from which sub-primal cut the cuts are derived.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky