What's acceptable temp range for Smoking Ribs / Pork SHoulder / etc

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

CharcoalJoe

Original poster
May 5, 2019
I used 321 to smoke with an MB130b using Amazing smoke tray with pellets. Was pretty disappointed in the taste of the meat. Had a nice tenderness, but no smoke taste even watching smoke throughout the first 3 hours of the cook.

I observed the temp was going from 215 to 250 on the electric smoker as it ran.

I'm doing test run of snake method in my Weber Kettlegrill to see if I can find my smokey flavor in the meat with a nice smoke ring. Temps have been ranging from 219 - 250 during my test run. I made a few adjustments along the way and it's cruising at 250 now holding very steady.

I read 225 is the ideal temperature, but I was having trouble getting it down there without it wanting to drop lower.

So knowing that 225 is the ideal temp, what's acceptable temp range to produce good results with a smoker that I can rely on consistently good tender / properly cooked meat after a good smoke and cook.I want to do a pork shoulder but want to know I can get the temp right and hold for long period before trying the meat.

Thanks

did you eat them right out of the smoker, sometimes sitting around for hours smelling the smoke affects your taste, did anyone else eat them, what did they say about the taste. I usually try to smoke the day before then heat in oven the day of, I feel it has a better taste that way.

What Flavor Pellets are you using?
I use Hickory about 95% of the time, because I love Smoke flavor.

Also like what Jim said about the next day is true.
For same day Smoke Flavor, Take a shower & blow your nose real good to get the Smoke out of it.

Bear

I let them set about an hour after smoking before eating. I have an extremely sensitive taste and smell so if there was smoke taste, I'd have found it. 2 others ate with me, and they both agreed with me. The cook had plenty of smoke throughout first 3 hours

For flavor, I used a competition blend had maple, hickory, cherry. This brand https://www.farmandfleet.com/produc...le-energy-20-lb-lumber-jack-grill-pellet.html

With Hot Smoking, 225+, the Average Smoker Temp is more important than maintaining a specific temp +/- 5°F. There is no Magic Number. 225 is the average minimum temp you want. It cooks in a Safe manner, offers a good balance between getting the meat done but in long enough to get good smoke contact and flavor. There is no reason you can't smoke at higher temps from 250 to 325°F. It is all finding a balance between Smokey flavor and length of time you want to spend cooking the meat...JJ

Reactions: sigmo
Wouldn’t worry about turning the heat up some to shorten the cook time, seems smoke flavor/penetration diminishes with time and first few hours is the majority of it.

There is no reason you can't smoke at higher temps from 250 to 325°F. It is all finding a balance between Smokey flavor and length of time you want to spend cooking the meat...JJ

Thanks, That's what I was looking for. I'm new to the smoking meat, but I decided I want to add it to my abilities this summer. My master built first go was a bit disappointing, but I'm pursuing the outcome, more than the method.

Seems to me that temperature was not a problem relative to the taste. You can achieve a smokey taste at dang near any temp given smoke and a few hours of exposure to the smoke. I would try different pellets perhaps.

did you eat them right out of the smoker, sometimes sitting around for hours smelling the smoke affects your taste, did anyone else eat them, what did they say about the taste. I usually try to smoke the day before then heat in oven the day of, I feel it has a better taste that way.

What Flavor Pellets are you using?
I use Hickory about 95% of the time, because I love Smoke flavor.

Also like what Jim said about the next day is true.
For same day Smoke Flavor, Take a shower & blow your nose real good to get the Smoke out of it.

Bear

Jim and Bear are pretty spot on in my opinion. Over exposure to that beautiful smokey aroma can definitely make you nose/taste blind to it. I've gotten to the point that smoked meats aren't really that appetizing day of cook. Don't get me wrong, I'll likely eat because I'm a fatty and I went through the process lol.

did you have the exhaust wide open

Yes had top vent wide open, and the chip insert about half way out so I could see pathway for air to flow during the cook. Smoke was pretty solid throughout the cook.

B/c of the MEB experience, I've turned to my Weber Kettle to get a baseline of good BBQ that I can produce ( working on that ). Will definitely play with the 130B again, but first go made me question if Electric smoker was the right way to go for first smoker. Only trial and error will answer that question.

I've had plenty good smoke ( sometimes oversmoked ) flavor on a kettle from Grilled chicken to Ribs in the past. Vie BBQ and not low and slow methods. Using a digital dual temp thermometer is a first for me this summer so trying to get my variable targets dialed in to get desired food results.

My master built first go was a bit disappointing,
That can be normal . Don't give up on it . I agree with the " nose blind " and I never eat ribs the same day . Other stuff is fine . However , this may or may not be all of the disappointment .
Are you using the chip loader ? if so , that can work , but most of the time it's a pain with not good results .
Do you know about the pellet tray or tube ? If not , look into getting one , and use a good quality pellet .
https://www.amazenproducts.com/

Edit . I read your first post 4 times before I commented . The 5th time I see you're using a tray . My bad .

no smoke taste even watching smoke throughout the first 3 hours
That might not be smoke . It could be moisture evaporating .

I've read that meat tends to take on smoke best when it is still cool, before the surface cooks, "tightens up", and dries.

So it may be particularly important to achieve higher smoke densities in the chamber at the very start of the run if you're looking for more smoke flavor.

I do pork butts and ribs as close to 225 degrees F as possible, and my wife and I love the results. I use an AMNPS with his "pitmaster's choice" pellets most of the time. And I try to keep it smoking well throughout the run.

I also get the AMNPS burning and smoking well while preheating the smoker before putting the meat in. So the cold meat enters the smoker with good smoke already established in the smoker.

I realize, however, that there are so many variables that this alone doesn't tell you everything you need to know to achieve the exact same results.

I do try to avoid breathing the smoke from the smoker. That probably helps to keep my sense of smell less "burned out" and desensitized to the smoke flavors. The way we do it, we're never hanging out on the porch where the smoker is running. If we were, I expect we would become desensitized, and our clothes would become "contaminated" with smoke smell such that we would find the smoke flavors far less obvious when we ate the product.

Also, for what it's worth, neither of us smokes or have smoked tobacco. So our sensitivity to smoke flavors may be higher than some.

I normally smoke in the 250* range for beef and pork. Poultry I get the temps into the 300's. Using chunks buried in your coals should give you the smoke profile your looking for with the kettle.

Chris

Thanks, That's what I was looking for. I'm new to the smoking meat, but I decided I want to add it to my abilities this summer. My master built first go was a bit disappointing, but I'm pursuing the outcome, more than the method.

If your MES is disappointing you, maybe my "Step by Step" Index will be of some help:
Just click on "Bear's Step by Steps".
All Kinds To Choose From, and ALL Smokes done in an MES.

Bear

If your MES is disappointing you, maybe my "Step by Step" Index will be of some help:
Just click on "Bear's Step by Steps".
All Kinds To Choose From, and ALL Smokes done in an MES.

Bear

Thanks, I'll do that,

I had read some of your posts on the MEB30 before deciding to buy the MEB30. Was able to grab last year's clearance model for 135 bucks too. That helped.

I used 321 to smoke with an MB130b using Amazing smoke tray with pellets. Was pretty disappointed in the taste of the meat. Had a nice tenderness, but no smoke taste even watching smoke throughout the first 3 hours of the cook.

I observed the temp was going from 215 to 250 on the electric smoker as it ran.

I'm doing test run of snake method in my Weber Kettlegrill to see if I can find my smokey flavor in the meat with a nice smoke ring. Temps have been ranging from 219 - 250 during my test run. I made a few adjustments along the way and it's cruising at 250 now holding very steady.

I read 225 is the ideal temperature, but I was having trouble getting it down there without it wanting to drop lower.

So knowing that 225 is the ideal temp, what's acceptable temp range to produce good results with a smoker that I can rely on consistently good tender / properly cooked meat after a good smoke and cook.I want to do a pork shoulder but want to know I can get the temp right and hold for long period before trying the meat.

Thanks
"Ideal temp" is a personal preference...
Some will tell you 225 others 250 and yet hot and fast guys will tell you 325-350...
I'm a low and slow guy and never, ever noticed any difference in quality due to temps ranging between 220-260...
I try to dial in at about 230-240 and just let the moderate temp fluctuations happen...
That being said, if you're not achieving the smoke flavor you want try closing the top vent a little to increase the smoke concentration in the cook chamber or use a stronger wood...when I want distinct smoke flavor I'll ensure I include hickory or mesquite...if I'm after something more subtle I go to fruit woods like apple or cherry...
And as bear suggested, read his "step by step" it shortened the learning curve for me A LOT on my mes30.
Walt...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky