what is the hardest meat to smoke??

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I think Brisket gives the most challeges and gets the most complaints...JJ

I hate smoking fowl.  Just my little quirk I guess,  I can make it come out pretty good but I really have to be on my game.  Maybe I just know beef and pork better then poultry

The hardest meat to prepare properly is usually going to be anything that tends to dry out or is very tough going into the smoker.

Last edited:
Briskets.....

It takes PATIENCE to hang with a Brisky. Done quickly or finished in the oven don't count.

I don't tell HOW to do them , just suggest leaving the lid closed until the temp. you want is reached. No injection and S/CBP only (maybe some Garlic). No foiling until it's done , then to rest(foiled) in a cooler.

Just sayin'...

Have fun and...

icon_cool.gif

I would have to say ribs or maybe fish that one has given me the hardest tim of all I think.

I don't have a whole lot of smoking experience yet but the 3 briskets I have done didn't turn out that great so that's my pick. I am not giving up though. Will keep trying till I get it right.

I would like to rephrase the question before I answer.........What is the hardest  selection or cut of meat to smoke. I would have to say country style boneless ribs...... They are hard to smoke to get them juicy yet tender.  If your not careful they can turn out dry as the desert sands or chewy as a mary jane......

Joe

I have had the same challenge of not getting enough smoke flavor.  When I smoke fish, I supplement smoke by adding a few pellets in my AMNPS.  To help keep the fish from drying out I also rub a thin layer of oil (canola or olive oil).  I have had good luck with both thin and thick fillets.

For me, it definitely has to be fish. I love fish that is very smoky in taste yet moist, and both are hard to achieve without either drying out, overcooking or under smoking the filet. It is a very delicate balance that I’ve yet to consistently master.

Brisket is the hardest for me.  Not because I can't make a good brisket, but because I can't be consistent with the results.  Even when I select the same size cut, same prep., same temp/foiling, etc.,. - sometimes it is great, sometimes just ok. 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky