What are your thoughts on a manual meat mixer ?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

shoneyboy

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Nov 3, 2010
Denham Springs La
I've been concidering buying a manual meat mixer lately. I've never used one and I wanted some others thoughts before I made that buy......I usually use a big stainless steel bowl and just keep fliping the meat till I feel its mixed enough, but I'm seriously getting tired of frozen fingers from mixing cold meat......Here's one that I found on Ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-MTN-Com...022?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f1d1eb7b6..... I usually make 10-25lbs of sausage at a time ..... So, What's your thoughts ???  Thanks for taking the time to look at my post ShoneyBoy......

They Suck!!!
Two thumbs down!
They need a certain amount of meat to work, and when they do work, they're just okay.
Biggest disadvantage is, it's another thing to clean!!! I hate mine! LOL

It's much better to use a meat lug with some gloves and get in there and show the meat who's boss!!!! :biggrin:

If the cold bothers you, use plastic gloves over cotton gloves...no biggie!!!

~Martin

Reactions: smokinhusker
I'm with Dig

Mine holds up to 20# of meat, but you really need at least 15# to make it work

10# won't mix well at all

Plus cleaning it sux!

Sorry.......

yeahthat.gif
        wimp..............
ROTF.gif

Last edited:
Wow the answers really surprised me! I would have thought you all loved the consistency and convenience, Glad I saw this before spending the money...JJ

Last edited:
You really need to do 30 or 40 lbs or more at a time; anything other than that it won't mix very well.  I've been in meatrooms that had them, big sausage-producing stores that made 100 lbs or more every day to set up the fresh cases with, 300 - 500 lbs a day.  Godsend there, and makes it worthwhile to clean at the end of the day, along with the grinder and saw and stuffer.  

At some point in the future I plan on buying one myself if my volume increases as the sons' kids grow, but it will be attached to the grinder, not manual; that's why I bought the 1 hp grinder.

I hate mixing meat. When I am done my hands hurt me so bad I can hardly stand it..Can`t you buy one for 10lbs of meat ?

Thanks everyone for the advice......so if that a bust. What about something like a paint mixer in my food grade bucket? The buckets going to get used no matter what, so it's not like I would be bringing something else into the process that would need to be cleaned. Here’s one that I found online, but I was thinking about making one out of stainless steel….This one is chrome, but if I were to clean it really well, do you think this would be ok to use? It's only around $15.00.....Thanks ShoneyBoy

Its easier to mix the meat in a large bus tub. If your hands get cold you can buy some insulated gloves... The tubs are easy clean up..... I know Rick (nepas) uses a mixer like the one you showed. shoot him a pm

I have the Cabela's one and it works good. I just hate having to clean another thing so I normally end up doing it by hand. But when I am doing a lot of sausage (more than 25lbs) I like to use it.

I have the same style meat mixer you are looking at only it is for 20lbs and says Lem on it. I use it for 7-15lb batches and it works great. It will make an emulsion when you need to add water to a recipe. I use mine on anything more than 5 lbs. I wish it was motorized as you really have to do some cranking. Clean up is the main downside to the unit.

Its easier to mix the meat in a large bus tub. If your hands get cold you can buy some insulated gloves... The tubs are easy clean up..... I know Rick (nepas) uses a mixer like the one you showed. shoot him a pm

I just picked one of these up yesterday.....$6.00.....Looks like great minds think alike……..Thanks SB

icon_cool.gif

I'm with Brian n Joe say to keep mixing by hand. I have been doing it for years and I just wear gloves like Joe says. Oh yea and the big grey tote to.

With only two people in the house and a few mooching friends
biggrin.gif
I do small batches.

I thought about mixers, but my batches are too small and it is something else to clean and store.

For small batches I have often thought the bucket mixer would be the way to go.

Good luck and good smoking.

Morning all.......

A buddy of mine just told me he uses a dry wall mud mixer for his sausage. He said it is stronger than a paint mixer (he broke two before switching) and works on most size batches. Has anyone here tried one of these?

Thanks,

Brad

I guess I'm in the minority...

I used to use 5 gallon food grade buckets and the big totes...arthtiris and the cold...Plus the shear quantity of the meats I was mixing pushed me to the LEM mixer I have...Yes it is kind of a pain in the ass to clean...Extea sucky when you don't have a 24" x 24" tripple bowl sink to wash it in after taking it apart it really isn't too bad..I've done as little as 8# of sausage cubes before grinding in mine with good results...ALTHO it really sux for making Punkin jerky
ROTF.gif
Beating_A_Dead_Horse_by_livius.gif
ROTF.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky