Wet Jambalaya?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Scott Eisenbraun

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Sep 30, 2018
Bismarck ND
I like traditional jambalaya, but I really love what I call a wet jambalaya, which is more of a stew consistency. I also add a can of tomato sauce to the traditional recipe. Instead of putting enough raw rice in the pot to soak up all that delicious broth, I like to add precooked rice to the bowl and ladle the jambalaya over it. This leaves plenty of liquid goodness to enjoy.

Is this done in Cajun cooking? Or is it just what I like cause I probably haven't had an authentic version?

Sounds more like some Hybrid of Jambalaya and Gumbo. Gonna leave this one for Foamheart.
I'm partial to Brown Jambalaya with no tomato product. There was a really good recipe here but I can't seem to find it...JJ

I fricken love jambalaya. Your version sounds a bit wet for my tastes. But I am excited to see the jambalaya recipies that are sure to follow!

I'm not foamheart, but I live not far from him in the jambalaya capital of the world. What you are making would not be considered authentic "jambalaya" and it's really not a gumbo without the roux and either file' powder or okra.

Sounds just like a pork chop gravy, but with pork chunks along with some smoke sausage thrown in. And I LOVE pork chop gravy and rice!! I would eat the heck out of that!
This is one of the great things about cajun cooking, take the same 10~12 ingredients and change one thing and you have a completely different dish!

Reactions: Scott Eisenbraun
I've been reading recipes from you and Foamheart. My next Cajun food will be your Tasso ham recipe for "seasoning meat" The great thing about this forum is being able to get authentic regional recipes from the people that have eaten it their entire lives instead of some blog cook that made a version once and claims it's the best ever.

Yes indeed...Family has been making tasso, andouille and smoke sausages for years. My Andouille recipe goes back about 120 years.
Tasso use to not contain cure, but it was so salty that you really could not eat it alone. It was salt cured, then more salt and seasoning was applied on to the meat, then heavy smoked to dry it out like jerky for preservation.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky