I know this is a meat oriented site BUT now I'm paranoid about left over rice!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Chasdev

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Jan 18, 2020
So now rice can kill me too?
If I understand it, letting hot rice cool down too slowly and then refridgerating and THEN reheating it is verboten?
My response is to eat what I can when hot out of the cooker, then bag and rapid chill in ice water.
Will this allow me to re-heat re-heated rice a second time?
Can't even remember how many times I've violated the left over rice rule and can't remember getting sick.

Reactions: JLeonard
You can rapidly cool your rice so you feel safer reheating and eating it. Common sense goes a long ways, probably why you never got sick the many times before... because you didn't leave it out too long. The stress of worrying is probably worse for you.

Ryan

..... this is too funny as the wife and boy have been talking about this for a why.... I guess he studied this in one of his "bug growing" classes last semester...... We eat a ton of it but always do it fresh or next day just because of taste...... 2-3 days tops but ours goes from cooker to fridge cooled within 20-30 min......

Reactions: JLeonard
Common sense goes a long ways
That and gut instinct . Pretty much the same thing I guess .
You're gonna get sick from someone else way before you make yourself sick .
Talking fried rice with JJ . He told me to cook the rice ahead of time . Let it cool and hold in the fridge a day or two so it drys out . Then use it in stir fry . That's how I do it now . Comes out fantastic .

Talking fried rice with JJ . He told me to cook the rice ahead of time . Let it cool and hold in the fridge a day or two so it drys out . Then use it in stir fry . That's how I do it now . Comes out fantastic .
what JJ described is what we did in one of the kitchens I worked in back in the day. We did a lot of covers and boats and boats of rice...... the above thinking is all of them should have been sick......

This is an issue with any food left out too long. I'm not sure why rice in particular is targeted. When I make something like a giant pot of chicken stock I always ice bath it. You don't want a large hot thermal mass going into your fridge if you can help it. A small Tupperware of rice probably won't hurt anything going into the fridge still warm.

What is food left out too long? Surely I'm not the only one who has forgotten and left a cooked piece of meat on the counter all night, then put it in the fridge the next morning. Not recommending the practice but I never got sick from doing that either.

Reactions: chopsaw
This is the way I've done fried rice several times, and I F-F-F-F-F-F-F-F-F-f- Feel fine. Kidding aside. I'm pretty sure this is how a lot Asian restaurants do it.

Reactions: chopsaw
Grew up in an Armenian household so rice was eaten almost daily. Honestly at this point I can barely tolerate it.

Reactions: dr k
Too many studies for me. Several years ago it was don't eat eggs... killed the market for them. A year later, oh eggs aren't bad for you. It never ends, all the studies, and experts say...
One thing is guaranteed... none of us are getting out of this life alive.

Ryan

This fear mongering needs to stop.
Can someone just present the facts without trying to incite something?
Yes, It was here before we lost JJ.
Use common sense as has been mentioned many times in this thread and many many other threads on the forum.
I've had severe food poisoning twice and neither incident involved rice.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky