Weber Snake / Vent Question?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sawhorseray

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Oct 17, 2014
Gilbert, AZ
I'm doing some CPB beef ribs that my good friend Robert, tx smoker tx smoker , sent to me. I'm getting ready to smoke them on my Weber using the snake method with some hickory hunks. I've done it a couple of times before and can't remember if I set the vents wide open or closed halfway to start. RAY

I reckon I'll just let it get up to about 235º and close the vents halfway, see what happens! Just starting to get some smoke. RAY
DSCN3079.JPG

When I did the snake method I used a 16 penny nail as a gauge for the bottom vent. Left top open.
Edit. Didn’t read last comment until after I posted. Seems you got a handle on things.

Reactions: sawhorseray
When I did the snake method I used a 16 penny nail as a gauge for the bottom vent. Left top open.
Edit. Didn’t read last comment until after I posted. Seems you got a handle on things.
By using the nail as a guage do you mean that you put it in the vent and used it to stop the vent from being closed all the way?

By using the nail as a guage do you mean that you put it in the vent and used it to stop the vent from being closed all the way?
Yes I use the nail as a spacer to prevent closing then when vent is positioned against it. Remove said nail

Would that be a 16d bright common nail, or a 16d box? 34 years a union carpenter, I had to ask. RAY

Nice food and Timely post. I need to start emptying my freezer and have not tried snaking it low and slow on the Weber...JJ

Looks real good from here Ray. I don't snake anymore now that I have the SnS, but when I did I would keep the vents wide open to start. Then as I closed in on my desired temp I would start shutting them down.

Point for sure
Chris

Looks real good from here Ray. I don't snake anymore now that I have the SnS, but when I did I would keep the vents wide open to start. Then as I closed in on my desired temp I would start shutting them down. Point for sure Chris

Thanks Chris! I have SnS and Vortex too, just thought I'd try the snake again for better smoke flavor. I wound up doing it exactly as you stated, worked great! RAY

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky