• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Weber Snake / Vent Question?

sawhorseray

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Oct 17, 2014
I'm doing some CPB beef ribs that my good friend Robert, tx smoker tx smoker , sent to me. I'm getting ready to smoke them on my Weber using the snake method with some hickory hunks. I've done it a couple of times before and can't remember if I set the vents wide open or closed halfway to start. RAY

sawhorseray

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Oct 17, 2014
I reckon I'll just let it get up to about 235º and close the vents halfway, see what happens! Just starting to get some smoke. RAY
DSCN3079.JPG

sawhorseray

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Oct 17, 2014
Thanks guys, I believe I'm good to go now. I 've got things dialed into the 235º zone and rolling some nice smoke, watching the golf, dipped in the pool a couple of times already, and just drilled the first Rolling Rock of the day. RAY

flatbroke

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Sep 16, 2007
When I did the snake method I used a 16 penny nail as a gauge for the bottom vent. Left top open.
Edit. Didn’t read last comment until after I posted. Seems you got a handle on things.

steves8860

Joined Jun 17, 2021
When I did the snake method I used a 16 penny nail as a gauge for the bottom vent. Left top open.
Edit. Didn’t read last comment until after I posted. Seems you got a handle on things.
By using the nail as a guage do you mean that you put it in the vent and used it to stop the vent from being closed all the way?

HalfSmoked

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Jun 11, 2015
Looking good now that you got the handle on it.

Finish photo please.

Warren

mneeley490

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jun 23, 2011
I leave the bottom vents open, and use the top to adjust the temp. Depending on meat mass and outdoor conditions, it sometimes takes a little while to dial it in. But maybe that's just me.

flatbroke

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Sep 16, 2007
By using the nail as a guage do you mean that you put it in the vent and used it to stop the vent from being closed all the way?
Yes I use the nail as a spacer to prevent closing then when vent is positioned against it. Remove said nail

sawhorseray

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Oct 17, 2014
Would that be a 16d bright common nail, or a 16d box? 34 years a union carpenter, I had to ask. RAY

Fueling Around

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Dec 10, 2018
Experiment.
I usually close the bottom vent (old 3 wheel design) at the dead side of the snake and try to use the top vent as mneeley490 mneeley490 posted.

That is a great looking meal.
Judging by the bare bones, you thought it was too

chef jimmyj

Epic Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Joined May 12, 2011
Nice food and Timely post. I need to start emptying my freezer and have not tried snaking it low and slow on the Weber...JJ

gmc2003

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Joined Sep 15, 2012
Looks real good from here Ray. I don't snake anymore now that I have the SnS, but when I did I would keep the vents wide open to start. Then as I closed in on my desired temp I would start shutting them down.

Point for sure
Chris

sawhorseray

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Oct 17, 2014
Looks real good from here Ray. I don't snake anymore now that I have the SnS, but when I did I would keep the vents wide open to start. Then as I closed in on my desired temp I would start shutting them down. Point for sure Chris
Thanks Chris! I have SnS and Vortex too, just thought I'd try the snake again for better smoke flavor. I wound up doing it exactly as you stated, worked great! RAY

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
Those are some good looking ribs for sure!
Al

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.