Weber Snake / Vent Question?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sawhorseray

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Oct 17, 2014
Gilbert, AZ
I'm doing some CPB beef ribs that my good friend Robert, tx smoker tx smoker , sent to me. I'm getting ready to smoke them on my Weber using the snake method with some hickory hunks. I've done it a couple of times before and can't remember if I set the vents wide open or closed halfway to start. RAY

I reckon I'll just let it get up to about 235º and close the vents halfway, see what happens! Just starting to get some smoke. RAY
DSCN3079.JPG

When I did the snake method I used a 16 penny nail as a gauge for the bottom vent. Left top open.
Edit. Didn’t read last comment until after I posted. Seems you got a handle on things.

Reactions: sawhorseray
When I did the snake method I used a 16 penny nail as a gauge for the bottom vent. Left top open.
Edit. Didn’t read last comment until after I posted. Seems you got a handle on things.
By using the nail as a guage do you mean that you put it in the vent and used it to stop the vent from being closed all the way?

By using the nail as a guage do you mean that you put it in the vent and used it to stop the vent from being closed all the way?
Yes I use the nail as a spacer to prevent closing then when vent is positioned against it. Remove said nail

Would that be a 16d bright common nail, or a 16d box? 34 years a union carpenter, I had to ask. RAY

Nice food and Timely post. I need to start emptying my freezer and have not tried snaking it low and slow on the Weber...JJ

Looks real good from here Ray. I don't snake anymore now that I have the SnS, but when I did I would keep the vents wide open to start. Then as I closed in on my desired temp I would start shutting them down.

Point for sure
Chris

Looks real good from here Ray. I don't snake anymore now that I have the SnS, but when I did I would keep the vents wide open to start. Then as I closed in on my desired temp I would start shutting them down. Point for sure Chris

Thanks Chris! I have SnS and Vortex too, just thought I'd try the snake again for better smoke flavor. I wound up doing it exactly as you stated, worked great! RAY

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky