We have been craving fried bologna sandwiches-Bologna with qview

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 22, 2009
Central Florida (Sebring)
We used to eat fried bologna sandwiches all the time, but I guess we got away from it over time. Lately we keep saying that I need to make some bologna. So here we go. This is the recipe I used.
AL’S BOLOGNA​
3 lbs. ground chuck                                                           Cook time: approx. 12 hours

2 lbs. ground pork butt

1 cup soy protein

1-2 cups ice water

1 tsp cure #1

3 oz Sausagemaker bologna seasoning

1 - 124mm x 24” red fibrous bologna casing

Run the meat thru the grinder with the big plate

Mix the meat well with the other ingredients

Run thru the grinder again with the small plate

Stuff & refrigerate overnight

Preheat smoker to 130-135 degrees

Hang bologna & heat with no smoke for 1/2 hour

Keep temp at 130-135 and apply smoke for 2-3 hours

Slowly keep increasing temp 10 degrees every hour to 175 with smoke

After 6 or 7 hours cut off smoke and continue to cook at 175 until 155 IT is reached

Then shower with cold water & refrigerate overnight

Slice with meat slicer the next day

I didn't take a bunch of photos of the preparation. It's pretty much the same for most sausages.

Here it is coming out of the smoker after 12 hours. IT 155.

After a cold shower & a night in the fridge, it's ready for the slicer.

Cut it in half for easier slicing.

Got a pile of bologna.

Bagged most of it up for the freezer, but had to leave some out for the bologna sandwiches.

On to the flat top, with the buns.

Then build a sandwich like I remember them, just lettuce & mayo. Simple but perfect.

Add a few homemade dills.

And of course an adult beverage. As you can see while I was taking photo's Judy's plate is already empty. I think she liked it!

This was the first time I have made bologna. It won't be the last. It's so much better than store bought. 

So easy to make too. 5# in one casing. Hardly any cleanup on the slicer. Good stuff!!!

Thanks for looking guys!

Al

Al if there was an egg on that bad boy I would be on my way,love fried Bologna and Egg.Points

Richie

Al if there was an egg on that bad boy I would be on my way,love fried Bologna and Egg.Points

Richie
Thanks for the point Richie!

I've never had fried bologna and egg before.

Gonna have one tomorrow, thanks for the idea!

Al

Man it's great to have the time for all this stuff you been making.
Yea we do a lot of smoking & outdoor cooking all winter long.

Not so much in the summer, it's just too hot to be sitting around a smoker.

I like to smell the smoke & drink a few beers, very relaxing!

Al

Al, that looks great!

Talk about a FAT CHUB! Been wondering how something like that would go, so thanks for the post!

Question - how did you manage to stuff that sucker? Just pack it in there by hand, and eliminate air pockets?

Seems like a nice texture. Coarse and grainy ruins bologna, but the double grind seems to have put you right where you would want to be.

The sandwich as is would be tasty, and I'm sure Richie's on to something with the egg, especially for breakfast.

Bonus is the homemade pickle!

Points from me! 
icon14.gif

Great looking Bologna,  Love that stuff, Still have some from my last chub. Can't beat it fried      Nice Job  
points1.png

Gary

You wouldn't catch me eating that, Al-----That's because it would be gone before you caught me.
biggrin.gif

Looks Great----I eat that often, but I usually use PA Ring Bologna----Yours looks Great !!!
drool.gif
--------------------
points.gif

I think I told this story here before, but it was Fried Bologna that got my butt kicked when I was just a Cub:

I was about 4 or 5 years old, and I got a piece of Ring bologna out of the fridge, and put it on a long wooden handled fork.

Then I drug a kitchen chair over from the table to Mom's Gas stove, so I could reach the top of the stove.

I lit the front burner & I was holding the "meat on fork" over the flame when Mom caught me. She wasn't a Happy Camper.

Had trouble sitting for awhile!!

I had previously done the same thing with a Hot Dog too, but didn't get caught.

That was where the Bear began his "Meat over flame" habit.

Bear

Reactions: smokinpapist

Al, that looks great!

Talk about a FAT CHUB! Been wondering how something like that would go, so thanks for the post!

Question - how did you manage to stuff that sucker? Just pack it in there by hand, and eliminate air pockets?

Seems like a nice texture. Coarse and grainy ruins bologna, but the double grind seems to have put you right where you would want to be.

The sandwich as is would be tasty, and I'm sure Richie's on to something with the egg, especially for breakfast.

Bonus is the homemade pickle!

Points from me! 
icon14.gif
Thank you,

I used the biggest stuffing tube I had 1 1/4" and I used both hands holding it back while Judy cranked the handle. I really stuffed it tight.

Yes, I think the double grind was perfect. 

And yes Richie is on to something with the egg.

Thank you for the point, Mel!

Al

Great looking Bologna,  Love that stuff, Still have some from my last chub. Can't beat it fried      Nice Job  
points1.png

Gary
Thanks Gary!

It's been a long time since I've had it fried, but it won't be long until the next time.

Thanks for the point my friend!

Al

Quote:

You wouldn't catch me eating that, Al-----That's because it would be gone before you caught me.
biggrin.gif

Looks Great----I eat that often, but I usually use PA Ring Bologna----Yours looks Great !!!
drool.gif
--------------------
points.gif

I think I told this story here before, but it was Fried Bologna that got my butt kicked when I was just a Cub:

I was about 4 or 5 years old, and I got a piece of Ring bologna out of the fridge, and put it on a long wooden handled fork.

Then I drug a kitchen chair over from the table to Mom's Gas stove, so I could reach the top of the stove.

I lit the front burner & I was holding the "meat on fork" over the flame when Mom caught me. She wasn't a Happy Camper.

Bear
Thanks Bear,

Thank you for the point too!

I want to try ring bologna next. I grew up eating this kind of bologna.

When I was in my 20's I was working construction west of Ft.Lauderdale & every day in the summer it would pour down rain around 1:00 PM, so we got sent home. Our house was by the beach & the sun would be shinning there. I would come home & Judy would fix me lunch, my favorite fried bologna sandwiches. We had a pool in the back yard & I would float on a raft & Judy would float my sammie out to me in a large tupperware platter . Those are the memories I have of fried bologna sammies.

Al

Last edited:
Looks great! I get a great store brand locally but would like to learn to make one that tastes close for a future move out of the area.

Lettuce and Mayo? Never had it that way, but the last 50 years it's been Fried Bologna on a Kaiser Roll with a BIG pile of Fried ONIONS! 
yahoo.gif
 Dang now I got a Taste and none in the refer!...JJ

Looks great! I get a great store brand locally but would like to learn to make one that tastes close for a future move out of the area.

Lettuce and Mayo? Never had it that way, but the last 50 years it's been Fried Bologna on a Kaiser Roll with a BIG pile of Fried ONIONS! 
yahoo.gif
 Dang now I got a Taste and none in the refer!...JJ
Holy Molly JJ, fried onions WOW that sounds really good. I never new there were so many ways to eat fried bologna.

I guess I don't get out too much!

Gonna have to try that too!

Al

Al, you knocked it out of the park on the bologna!     I too have been craving fried bologna, but the bologna from the store is horrible, with the exception of Boars Head beef bologna and here it is $9.00 a pound in the deli and it is OK but the bologna I had growing up was delicious so today I made 10 pounds of ring bologna.    It's still in the smoker and I will have a bologna sandwich similar to yours for supper tomorrow.    Again you bologna looks delicious and I'm sure it tastes as great as it looks.

Al, you knocked it out of the park on the bologna!     I too have been craving fried bologna, but the bologna from the store is horrible, with the exception of Boars Head beef bologna and here it is $9.00 a pound in the deli and it is OK but the bologna I had growing up was delicious so today I made 10 pounds of ring bologna.    It's still in the smoker and I will have a bologna sandwich similar to yours for supper tomorrow.    Again you bologna looks delicious and I'm sure it tastes as great as it looks.
Thanks a lot, Arlie!

I appreciate the compliment!

Al

That looks amazing Al!  I will definitely have to try this. POINTS!  and a few questions:

Are those casing edible or inedible?

If they are not edible did you leave them on for slicing just for ease?

Thanks!

That looks amazing Al!  I will definitely have to try this. POINTS!  and a few questions:

Are those casing edible or inedible?

If they are not edible did you leave them on for slicing just for ease?

Thanks!
Thank-you Chris, And thank-you for the point!

The casings are non-edible.

And yes I left them on for VERY easy slicing.

When I was a kid bologna always had that red skin around the slice that you just peeled off.

Maybe it still does if you buy it in the deli. 

Same thing here. It basically just almost falls off with no meat attached.

Al

biggrin.gif

drool.gif
--------------------
points.gif

Bear
I got in trouble for the same thing, only it was hot dogs.  More in trouble for bluing one of the forks & not cleaning up the grease splatter.  But I hate boiled hot dogs.

Al,

Throw a fried egg on that sandwich.  Yolk still runny with a little spicy brown mustard.

I've had bologna sliced really thick(3/8-1/2"), cut a big hole out of the middle and fried an egg in the middle.

Don

Reactions: smokinpapist

I got in trouble for the same thing, only it was hot dogs.  More in trouble for bluing one of the forks & not cleaning up the grease splatter.  But I hate boiled hot dogs.

Al,

Throw a fried egg on that sandwich.  Yolk still runny with a little spicy brown mustard.

I've had bologna sliced really thick(3/8-1/2"), cut a big hole out of the middle and fried an egg in the middle.

Don
Thanks for the idea Don,

I make eggs that way with a hole in a piece of bread, but bologna, WOW, you have my mouth watering.

I WILL do this!!!

Al

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky