• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Vortex Buffalo Wings Take 5

BandCollector

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Feb 4, 2009
As many of you know, I have been obsessed with creating the perfect skin crispness on my chicken wings.

With the help of several members, I discovered that the secret is to make sure the wings are DRY before smoking them. Their suggestions provided much better results and convinced me of the importance of drying the wings. (I also tried pc farmer pc farmer technique using olive oil with great results.)

Below is the thread I posted documenting the preparation of wings incorporating what I learned.

However, lately I have been using an oven baking technique from Alton Brown that I found 7 years ago on the Food Network. His recipe always produced crisp wings in the oven, so I thought, why not try it with my vortex. The results were fantastic, so I thought I would share them with you.

Place a 6-quart saucepan with a steamer basket and 1" of water in the bottom, over high heat, cover and bring to a boil. Place the wings in the steamer basket, cover, reduce the heat to medium, and steam for 10 minutes.

IMG_0620.jpg

Remove the wings, pat dry, lay the wings out on a cooling rack , and place in the refrigerator for a minimum of 1 hour. I usually cool for 2 hours.

IMG_0621.jpg

Prepare the sauce. This one is my favorite!

3 oz unsalted butter
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 cup Franks Hot Wing Sauce
1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon pepper

IMG_0622.jpg

Seasoned with Jeff's Rub and waiting for a full chimney of Kingsford Briquettes to get ready!

IMG_0625.jpg

Vortex a-bazing with two chunks of cherry!

IMG_0626.jpg

Rotated the lid on the Weber every 10 minutes, flipped the wings after 20 minutes, and here are the results after 35 minutes. IT reached 180˚.

IMG_0627.jpg

I'm In Heaven! These are fantastic in the oven and even more fantastic with the Vortex!

IMG_0628.jpg

The 10 minute steam bath reduced the cooking time, but really contributed greatly to the crispy skin.

Give this technique a try. . . You won't be disappointed!

Kudos to Alton Brown!

Thanks for viewing,

John

Last edited:

pushok2018

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Oct 12, 2017
Beautiful wings! They do look crispy!! Nicely done.

SmokingUPnorth

Smoking UPNorth
Joined Dec 7, 2017
Looking good. I’ve noticed with the vortex, atleast for me I haven’t needed to do anything to the wings and skin still comes out crispy. Still think it’s one of the best things I’ve bought

Sowsage

Master of the Pit
Joined Oct 18, 2017
Man those look great! I may have to try and steam sometime. The sauce recipe is almost exactly how I do mine except I add some wochestishire also so I know the sauce you had was good. Nice job!

Brian Trommater

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Aug 1, 2018
Nice job. Will try next time except will have to pass on the PBR. When I was a kid we kept drinking my Dads beer. When he finally changed to PBR we stopped drinking it but he did also!

Last edited:

BandCollector

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Feb 4, 2009
Nice job. Will try next time except will have to pass on the PBR. When I was a kid we kept drinking my Dads beer. When he finally changed to PBR we stopped drinking it but he did also!
Pabst Blue Ribbon is an option. . .Any libation will do!

John

robrpb

Smoke Blower
Joined Jul 15, 2020
BandCollector BandCollector , they look great. I keep working on improving my wings to get more chrispy. I appreciate your tips.

I noticed something under your Vortex, what is it?

I saw a couple Vortex style units on Amazon for about half the price. Does anyone have any of them and if so, what are your thoughts? Thanks.

BandCollector

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Feb 4, 2009
BandCollector BandCollector , they look great. I keep working on improving my wings to get more chrispy. I appreciate your tips.

I noticed something under your Vortex, what is it?
When the Vortex is used on a regular basis it could damage the top of the lid due to the extreme heat it gives off. Therefore I placed a small grate on the very bottom of my kettle to lower the height of the Vortex so the heat would not be as intense on my lid. Whether it works or not, time will tell.

John

Last edited:

robrpb

Smoke Blower
Joined Jul 15, 2020
John, thanks for your reply. How high off the base does it raise the Vortex? Rob

BandCollector

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Feb 4, 2009
John, thanks for your reply. How high off the base does it raise the Vortex? Rob
You are welcome. . .About 1-2 inches. Didn't measure but well below where the regular charcoal grate is.

gmc2003

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Joined Sep 15, 2012
John those wings look great, A far different method then what I do, but who can argue with the results.

Point for sure
Chris

I saw a couple Vortex style units on Amazon for about half the price. Does anyone have any of them and if so, what are your thoughts? Thanks.
Knock-offs probably work fine, but Owens put a lot of time and effort into designing, marketing and making the Vortex. I firmly believe in supporting the inventor of a product.

Blasphemy I say.

Pabst Blue Ribbon is an option. . .Any libation will do!

John
Totally inaccurate, if you read the fine print on the back of the Vortex instructions. It clearly states that PBR must be the libation of choice in order to achieve optimum performance of this product. :emoji_sunglasses:

Chris

terryd

Fire Starter
Joined Jun 24, 2010
The wings look awesome and the PBR is a personal favorite. It was what I grew up drinking with my Dad.

yankee2bbq

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined May 7, 2017
Wings look great John!
Beer choice for me....HAMMS

pc farmer

Epic Pitmaster
Staff member
Administrator
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Feb 17, 2013
Wings look awesome. Nice job.

Brokenhandle

Master of the Pit
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Nov 9, 2019
I'd say you have found the winner winner chicken dinner! Wings look perfect!

Ryan

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.