Vortex Redux

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BandCollector

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
For those who remember, last week I used my Vortex for the first time to smoke wings in my Weber Kettle with not so overwhelming results in the texture of the skin. The wings tasted great, but the rubbery skin was a disappointment. This is how I had prepared those wings:

1. Seasoned the wings with Jeff's Rub
2. Fired up a full chimney of Royal Oak Lump Charcoal
3. Loaded the Vortex with the Royal Oak Lump Charcoal
4. Placed the wings on the perimeter of the cooking grate and placed a chunk of apple wood over the coals.
5, Rotated the lid 120˚ every 10 minutes and flipped the wings after 20 minutes.
6. At the 35 minute mark I checked the temperature of the wings with an instant read thermometer and found the internal temp to be 170˚
7. They looked great and tasted great, but my disappointment was with the texture of the skin--a bit rubbery and not crisp as I expected!

When I asked for advice, Brokenhandle Brokenhandle BrianGSDTexoma BrianGSDTexoma bregent bregent pc farmer pc farmer M mike guy 6GRILLZNTN 6GRILLZNTN sawhorseray sawhorseray smokin peachey smokin peachey y Motorboat40 Motorboat40 and SmokingUPnorth SmokingUPnorth came through and educated me to the fact that THE WINGS SHOULD HAVE BEEN DRIED BEFORE SMOKING. Two techniques were offered:
(1) Drying the wings in the refrigerator over night OR
(2) Dusting the wings with baking powder before refrigerating for 2 hours.
I decided to try both and see which produced the crispier skin. I also decided to cook longer than 35 minutes by increasing the cooking time to 45 minutes.

I thank each and every one of you because you contributed to the following results.

Here are the results of my experiment:

TRAY (1): Wings dried in the refrigerator for 24 hours.
IMG_0588.jpg

TRAY (2): Wings coated in baking powder and refrigerated for two hours.
IMG_0590.jpg

Decided to use three different seasonings for variety.
The sauce for coating after cooking is a basic which I really like:

1/4 cup Franks Wing Sauce
1/4 stick butter
1T minced garlic.
black pepper to taste

IMG_0589.jpg

Full chimney of Kingsford Standard Briquettes. The chunks of apple and maple are just hanging out. The rain wasn't going to stop me!

IMG_0593.jpg

Vortex cranking out some intense heat
IMG_0594.jpg

OK, everyone in the pool! My son was supposed to join me but he bailed at the last minute so I just used half of the wings for this smoke. I skewered the wings with the baking powder so I wouldn't lose track of them.
IMG_0595.jpg

After 45 minutes: Sauced, plated, and ready for the verdict!
IMG_0599.jpg

As it turns out, I honestly could not tell the difference! It all boils down to making sure the wings are dried before smoking regardless of whether you are using the refrigerator method or the baking powder method. A lesson learned with the help of some great folks here on SMF.

pc farmer pc farmer used olive oil, which gives him crispy skin. Since I am Greek, I definitely will be trying his meathod with the other half of the wings--my mother would be disappointed if I didn't!

Thanks again all and thanks for viewing,

John

Last edited:
Wings look excellent! Glad you got em the way you wanted.

Ry

They look great. If you want to try the evoo, I do this. Get a gallon ziplock bag and add the evoo and seasoning. Put wings in the bag. I let then i there about a hour. Tossing the bag around several hours. Put from bag and right on the kettle with the screaming hot vortex.

Glad your wings were a success John. I missed the first thread, but I can say that i don't dry or oil my wings when using the Vortex. I use whole wings and let them fly wide open for about 40 or so mins. I used to flip them but have stopped doing that also. I will rotate the lid every 10 mins. or so and check them for color at the 30 min mark. I put that fatter part of the whole wing near the outside edge of the kettle with the tip towards the Vortex. My kettle is older and doesn't have the clam shell on the handle so I have to use a glove to pick the lid up. This approach works for me. I'm glad you found one that works for you.

Point for sure
Chris

Reactions: chopsaw
I've tried the baking soda method and wasn't very impressed. Dried in the fridge is a good plan. My vortex wings usually wind up going to 180*

Good looking French Fries. Did you cut them fresh, or were they frozen? I'm a sucker for a good fry.

Reactions: Brokenhandle
Try no sauce, put a bottle on the table if you want to dip. I go with a full chimney of briquettes and rotate every ten minutes, no flipping, just Jeff's Original Rub, a chunk of hickory over the center of the Vortex, 35 minutes max. Did these thighs last night for 40 minutes, skin was crispy, better than candy, meat was juicy. RAY
DSCN2169.JPG

Reactions: JLeonard
I've tried the baking soda method and wasn't very impressed. Dried in the fridge is a good plan. My vortex wings usually wind up going to 180*

Good looking French Fries. Did you cut them fresh, or were they frozen? I'm a sucker for a good fry.

Fries were of the frozen variety. I prefer fresh cut but didn't have the time to devote to them yesterday.

Also, after 45 minutes the internal temperature ranged from 180˚ to 200˚. . .I think they were done!

John

Last edited:
Reactions: JLeonard
John those wings look great ! I could have used those last night . Used your pizza dough recipe to make a couple pizza's . That dough has the best chew . Those wings would have been perfect .
I've tried the baking soda method and wasn't very impressed.
Baking powder . Changes the PH of the skin .

Those wings look awesome. I have a gas grill but the vortex posts I see like this differently have my interest in a charcoal kettle!

On a side note, I haven’t seen Iron City beer a in LONG time. That’s bonus points for me! 😄

Welldone!

Those wings look awesome. I have a gas grill but the vortex posts I see like this differently have my interest in a charcoal kettle!

On a side note, I haven’t seen Iron City beer a in LONG time. That’s bonus points for me! 😄

Welldone!
Iron City Beer is no longer made in Pittsburgh. The Iron City Brewing Company's recipe is now being brewed at the Latrobe Brewing Co. location in Latrobe, PA. If you are anywhere near Latrobe ( home of Arnold Palmer and Mr. Rogers ) you should be able to acquire Iron City Beer along with Latrobe's signature Rolling Rock Beer.

Thanks,

John

Last edited:
John those wings look great ! I could have used those last night . Used your pizza dough recipe to make a couple pizza's . That dough has the best chew . Those wings would have been perfect .

Baking powder . Changes the PH of the skin .

Thanks Chop,

I'm glad you are happy with the pizza dough recipe.

Pizza and Wings can't be beat! And it goes without saying they need to be washed down with a good cold beer!

Take care my friend,

John

Good post/cook.
FWIW, I use a little cornstarch in some rubs ... saw it called for in a prime rib rub to get a little Crusty ... probably doing what you were trying for with baking powder.
But I always air dry chicken skin In fridge for several hours (all cuts).

Reactions: BandCollector
Good post/cook.
FWIW, I use a little cornstarch in some rubs ... saw it called for in a prime rib rub to get a little Crusty ... probably doing what you were trying for with baking powder.
But I always air dry chicken skin In fridge for several hours (all cuts).

Did more experimenting and posted the results in my post,

I think I am in to something now!

John

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky