• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Vortex Buffalo Wings Take 5

JCAP

Smoking Fanatic
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jun 12, 2019
Lookin great there. Haven’t ever tried the Alton Brown method but now am interested!

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
The wings look amazing!
Thans for posting this!
Al

BandCollector

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Feb 4, 2009
Wow!

What a wonderful reaction by a group of fantastic cooks!

I am humbled. . .Thanks Guys!

I'm overwhelmed and thrilled that you all enjoyed the post,

John

GATOR240

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Oct 15, 2017
Nicely done John! I'm going to give the Alton Brown method a shot sometime. I'm a big fan of the vortex and won't do wings any other way. Bookmarked!

BandCollector

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Feb 4, 2009
Nicely done John! I'm going to give the Alton Brown method a shot sometime. I'm a big fan of the vortex and won't do wings any other way. Bookmarked!
Thanks Denny,

Nice to be Bookmarked (in a positive light.)

I think you will be pleasantly surprised as to what steaming the wings can add to your cook.

Take care,

John

BandCollector

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Feb 4, 2009
Lookin great there. Haven’t ever tried the Alton Brown method but now am interested!
I have followed Alton Brown for quite some time and I really enjoy his scientific approach in preparing foods and why spices react the way they do with food.

John

BandCollector

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Feb 4, 2009
John ,, wings look great . Lovin the sauce . Nice work bud .
Thanks Chop,

The sauce is simple but has a great deal of flavor and really compliments the wings as a sauce should.

John

BandCollector

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Feb 4, 2009
Looking good. I’ve noticed with the vortex, atleast for me I haven’t needed to do anything to the wings and skin still comes out crispy. Still think it’s one of the best things I’ve bought
I have tried smoking the wings "naked" and was always disappointed with the lack of crispness in the skin. So I ask you, exactly what fuel source are you using? Lump or briquettes?

I have tried varying the time of cooking as well as the amount of fuel to no avail. Perhaps it's the type of fuel I am using.

I always use Kingsford Original Briquettes .

Curious,

John

Last edited:

chopsaw

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Dec 14, 2013
The malt liquors were popular when I was in college. . .Do you remember Big Cat?
Was more like Junior High for me . I don't remember Big Cat . Looks like it was brewed by Pabst .

sawhorseray

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Oct 17, 2014
I have tried smoking the wings "naked" and was always disappointed with the lack of crispness in the skin. So I ask you, exactly what fuel source are you using? Lump or briquettes? I have tried varying the time of cooking as well as the amount of fuel to no avail. Perhaps it's the type of fuel I am using. I always use Kingsford Original Briquettes . Curious, John
I've been doing Vortex legs and wings 6-8 at a time stacked tight together. I put on some of Chile's chicken rub, use Kingsford, no flipping, don't touch the lid, 35 minutes. Crispy every time.
DSCN1773.JPG

BandCollector

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Feb 4, 2009
JCAP JCAP
Try it using his method in the oven first and then apply it to your vortex.

You will be surprised with the results in both situations.

Ray, is that when its 115 degrees out or only 110? :emoji_laughing: Somebody just had to say it.

Ryan
LOL!

BandCollector

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Feb 4, 2009
I've been doing Vortex legs and wings 6-8 at a time stacked tight together. I put on some of Chile's chicken rub, use Kingsford, no flipping, don't touch the lid, 35 minutes. Crispy every time.
Well I guess it's not the Kingsford then.
Chile's chicken rub sounds intriguing. . .Need to give that a whirl!

Thanks,

John

BandCollector

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Feb 4, 2009
Was more like Junior High for me . I don't remember Big Cat . Looks like it was brewed by Pabst .
chopsaw chopsaw ,

All I can remember is that it was inexpensive and packed a punch. Was responsible for many missed early AM classes. . . LOL!

John

BandCollector

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Feb 4, 2009
Thanks Ray,

It looks like "set it and forget it" seems to be the secret for you.

I think we sometimes get too involved in fiddling around too much with our equipment instead of just letting it do its job.

Something to think about,

John

Last edited:

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.