First Vortex Cook - Crispy Wings

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

voltronic

Original poster
Sep 6, 2020
I finally decided to join the Vortex* trend today, and it worked beautifully. Wings seem to be one of the go-to things for this little ring of sheet metal, so that's what I did in my standard 22" kettle.

Just a very simple rub of salt, pepper, garlic, onion, and paprika. Full chimney of Royal Oak lump which filled the vortex about halfway, and I tossed a chunk of pecan on top to give the meat some more flavor.

Never have I seen the thermometer on the Weber fly up so fast! It stabilized at around 525-550 but I kind of expected it to go hotter (not like that thing is accurate, though).

Flipped the wings after 20 minutes (first image), added kielbasa. Cooked another 30 or so. I probably should have pulled the wings about 10 minutes earlier than I did, but I wanted mega-crispy. I was not disappointed. Some of the crispiest chicken skin I've had, and the pecan added a gentle smokiness. Absolutely delicious. The kielbasa really took on a lovely flavor as well.

*Not specifically THE Vortex, as I think it's overpriced for what it is. This is what I actually bought. It it quite heavy-gauge and the welds seem solid.

Long story short - This is the best grilling accessory I've ever used. Next up will be some 40-minute ribs later this week.
20230814_164922~(1).jpg

20230814_170505~(1).jpg

20230814_172549~(1).jpg

Wings look great. I love mine. Like you said for what it is it’s a little pricy, but I’ve had mine for about 6 years and probably over 100 uses and shows no signs of giving up anytime soon.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky