Venison Pastrami

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Just used cure, kosher salt and brown sugar. Once done curing will rub with meatheads pastrami rub from amazing ribs
IMG_20220105_180959.jpg

Reactions: indaswamp
I found couple venison roast, stew meat, loin and ground while cleaning out a freezer today. When my buddy gave me all this I did not record it in my freezer app last year. Going to have to try your pastrami on roast. Put baskets in the top freezer. Got tired of everything falling out! 2 freezers gone threw and the big one to go! I think more venison in there. Not getting any this year so this is good. He loaded me up last year.

View attachment 521182
I realized I didn't actually provide a recipe for it.

But I recommend using a single muscle roast.

Recipe is based off of 2 lbs piece of venison.

18 grams of kosher salt
3 grams of instacure no. 1
1/2 Tsp dried thyme
1/4 Tsp celery seed
1/4 Tsp caraway seed
1 Tsp sugar
1/4 Tsp crushed juniper
1 Tsp plus 3 Tbs ground black pepper
1/4 cup vinegar
3 Tbs coarsely ground coriander

Mix the salt, curing salt and sugar, as well as thyme, celery seed, caraway, juniper, and Tsp of black pepper, and grind all together in spice grinder.

Pack the venison with this mixture, massaging into meat. Put the meat into a ziplock bag or vacuum seal it and set in fridge for 3 to 5 days. (I left this roast in cure for 5 days)... General rule is 2 days per lbs.

After curing period, rinse cure off of the venison and pat dry... Some cure on it won't matter, but you don't want too much. Put the venison on a rack in the fridge and let dry uncovered for a day.

Dip meat into vinegar- or any liquid you want- and coat thoroughly in the remaining black pepper and ground coriander seed.

Smoke venison at about 160 degrees F to 209 degrees F until the interior hits 145 (approximately 3 hours).

Reactions: BrianGSDTexoma
tallbm tallbm has a great pastrami loaf recipe, that my dad tried it and loved it... It was as good as tallbm said it was. Cheers.

Glad to hear your dad gave it a shot and loved it!!
It is good stuff man and just another reason why I grind so my of my venison. I love the versatility being able to go any which way with 100% ground venison.

Add beef fat and make the pastrami loaf sandwich meat.
Add pork fat and makes sausages.
Add no fat and make ground meat jerky.
Add no fat and use for tacos, spaghetti, or anything needing ground meat...

Endless options! :D

Reactions: Schwarzwald Metzger
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky