Venison Pastrami

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

indaswamp

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
Apr 27, 2017
South Louisiana-Yes, it is HOT
Today was smoke day for the venison pastrami I had in the cure for 14 days.
1581292995351.jpeg

Some pastrami on rye with swiss cheese for dinner tonight...
1581293122649.jpeg

I added a step this go around though. After smoking for 6 hours to INT 130* I vac sealed it and put it in the sous vide @125* for 4 hours. Tender like beef!

looks great
Richie
Thanks Richie! It was good...guess what I eating for lunch today?!?!?
Wow, looks gorgeous! Like, RAY
Thanks Ray. I've been making pastrami with goose breasts for years and it is hands down my favorite way to eat goose breasts, but this venison pastrami is a lot more tender.
Looks awesome from another pastrami lover! Love that sandwich.
Thanks xray! Can't wait to get my drying chamber up and running so I can make some homemade swiss cheese. Would be awesome on that sandwich!
Nice I could wolf down one of those sammies with no problem.

Warren
Thanks Warren, I'm amazed at how fast I finished it! T'was real good!
Looks fantastic!
I bet it was delicious!
Al
Thanks Al, that it was. Hope I've inspired some people to make it!

https://honest-food.net/goose-pastrami-recipe/

Only changes: I used 0.25% cure #1 based on the weight of meat, and 1.5% salt. No juniper berries.....
I like the recipe, Buuut, I'm highly disagreeing with this. Goose is the gamiest meat I as as hunter have ever eaten! I've eaten a lot too! Grass feed beef and goose are two entirely different things to me.

I do agree they get tough when cooked sometimes, especially quickly. Slicing across the grain is always recommended with me.

Why geese? Well, Canada and snow geese are very close to grass-fed beef in flavor (they eat the same thing), they have large, easy-to-work-with breasts, and they do have a tendency to be tough, (agree with this though) which means that any way you can cook them that lets you slice the breasts thinly is a good thing.

That said, I have never seen any meat improve like goose with curing.

I would say it totally depends on what that goose has been feeding on. I've eaten cananda geese that have been feeding on peanuts and I'm telling ya they were very mild indeed. The ones we kill in Kansas that have been eating grass are strong in flavor. YMMV.....

I do agree...goose breast improves greatly with curing.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky