Veggies for fall/winter planting

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

artisanbeard

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jul 5, 2012
Mountain City, GA.
Hey everyone!

Just wondering what you guys are growing this fall/winter. Here's what I'm planning on planting:

Garlic (lots of it)

Onion

Shallot

Carrots

Cabbage (Napa)

Some hearty lettuces

Parsnips

Spinach

possibly some beans and snow/sugar snap peas

What will you guys have growin'?

Beets
Carrots
Parsnip
Rutabaga
Scallions
Garlic
Celery
Brussells Sprouts
Cabbage
Leaf Celery
Kale
Collards
Spinach
Radishes
Turnips
Bunching Onions
Shallots
Chard
Mustard Greens
Parsley
New Potatoes

I don't think I've forgotten anything.

~Martin

Those plots look great... NO WEEDS....  I wish my garden looked that good.....    Dave
Yeah, I wish my herb garden looked as good as this one too...I've been fighting weeds like crazy this year. Trying to build a house, work full time, raise 3 kids, and also tend to my little "side business" known as my herb farm...when do I have time for smoking, much less weeding?

For this project pictured, we built the raised beds about 3 years ago, put weed block fabric under everything, and mulched the paths in between the beds. They put a lot of money into it, but they didn't want to fuss with weeding too much. I love taking my kids out there to run around and munch on some fresh veggies. 

I'm in the process of building my house (we have a month or less left), and I need to build a retaining wall as the land slopes to the street. I figured I will just tier 2 or 3 rows of raised beds along the house to serve as my garden and the retaining wall...functional and growable! The weed blocking fabric and mulched rows worked so well for them, I will be doing it for my house! I'll post some pictures when I'm done with it...I started some romaine, summercrisp, kale, arugula, and spinach seeds today in some cell trays to transplant when I build the beds.

ArtisanBeard, morning.... I've tried weed block...  The roots grew through it and made winter clean up of the old plants a bugger....  Maybe you could start a thread on proper building of a raised bed gardening plot for folks like myself....    I do not see any watering system... Do you use "drip tape" or some other underground system ??    Dave

Morning Dave. The raised beds are made from 2x12s , so the lettuce roots don't quite reach down to the weed block, the plants that have a more aggressive root system we double them up. for example, carrot beds we made 24" deep, just incase. As for the watering system, we live in an area that is considered a "rain forest" (averaging 87 inches a year, yet also with abundant sunshine)...so the good Lord provides most of the watering, but for supplementing we just do it the old fashioned way, with a really long hose. I love raised beds for their ability to keep weeds back, but also for their good drainage...maybe I will start a thread when I make my garden. -Kyle

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky