Vacation Time, Bushkill Creek / Bushkill, PA

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chilerelleno

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
We left Bama Wednesday morning, over nighted in Abingdon, VA and the next day stopped in Harrisburg, PA at Bass Pro Shops to pick up a few things before heading to our final destination here in Bushkill, PA on Bushkill Creek.
Staying at my wife's sister's cabin which is right on the creek, and it offers some good Trout fishing, along with Bass, Bream and others.
Really nice place and our hostess is first rate.
Have some of my family (older Sister and family) who live in Bethlehem are coming up for a Memorial Day BBQ.
Going to visit, play and fish and BBQ the traditional burgers-n-dogs.

Our hostess Auntie Angela and her beautiful cabin home.

First Day of Fishing
First day of fishing for Nate and I commenced early with nothing to show.
But the afternoon has proven mildly productive.
I'm using Ultra Light and Light spinning gear, Nate is Flyfishing and Light spinning gear.
I'm brand new to trout, someone verify species for me, Rainbow and Brook?

I caught this 12.5" Bow(?) on a Mepps Comet Minnow drifting along a riffle, just barely keeping the lure facing down stream and picking up the slack.
First fish of the trip!

Nate scores on a Caddis Fly, 10" Brook(?), he saw the fish rising to feed and put the fly in it's face and it ate.
This boy is a freaking natural born fisherman, and rapidly becoming adept at fly casting.

This is the stream at the front of the cabin, we're fishing along about a 3/4 mile in either direction on a private road.
Very little traffic from other fishermen as it is walk-in only allowed and must have property owner permission.
We've carte blanche permission anywhere on this side of the creek road.

Most of the people out here either fly fish or use live bait.
Lots of minnows, small earthworms, wax worms and hellagrammites on #6 and smaller hooks with BB sized split shot.
I may change my methods

Last edited:
Reactions: Bearcarver
That's a beautiful place! Looks like you will have a great weekend! 
Looks-Great.gif

Last edited:
What a beautiful place. I'd love spending a weekend (month) there but I doubt I could tear the wife away from civilization that long.

I'm not used to seeing 'bows that dark either, unless they're older fish which those don't seem to be. Do they have Brown trout up there? Those two, and especially Nate's fish, look like Brownies to me.

I probably ought to fly out there where you are real quick and get a first hand look at them so we can both be sure, for science.

Been wearing out the panfish this evening, some nice Red Breasted Sunfish.
I also caught another trout (species?), 10", on a red spotted/yellow Panther Martin spinner.

Nate caught a really nice Red Breasted Sunfish, 9"+.
But didn't get a pic of that one, but it'll be breakfast.

Looks like some good country and fishing.

We have brownies, rainbows and brook trout here.  

The last pic looks like a brookie.

That's a beautiful "cabin".  I could be real happy living in that year round!!

Nice to see kids getting involved in fishing.  Looks like Nate isn't taking any chances with his rod.  LOL

Hope you enjoy your holiday.

Gary
We are, thanks.
Yeah, it's pretty nice digs, having a rich Auntie benefits the kids immensely as she dotes on them.
Later this year she is taking them to the Mouse's House... For the 4th or 5th year in a row... Secret is, she loves it more than they do.

Nate is a born fisherman, like a duckling to water.
Skills galore, skunks me sometimes, and all the bragging/lying that goes with fishing.
And as you can see... A HAM for the camera.

OH!
Forgot to mention this...

Our Hostess is lonely and looking for a husband.
She only asks that he is under 55 yrs, has all his teeth, has his head on straight and easy going.
And that he is professional in his career field and financially sound on his own.
Conservative views, and must like dogs.

She is mid 40s, divorced, no kids, financially well off individual who has a very good job working for the Mars Corp.
Mars, ya know M&Ms and other candies.
Middle of the road conservative views, very laid back and fun person with an awesome personality.
Built for comfort on cold winter nights.
Has a dog.

I'm only half joking.

We left Bama Wednesday morning, over nighted in Abingdon, VA and the next day stopped in Harrisburg, PA at Bass Pro Shops to pick up a few things before heading to our final destination here in Bushkill, PA on Bushkill Creek.
Staying at my wife's sister's cabin which is right on the creek, and it offers some good Trout fishing, along with Bass, Bream and others.
Really nice place and our hostess is first rate.
Have some of my family (older Sister and family) who live in Bethlehem are coming up for a Memorial Day BBQ.
Going to visit, play and fish and BBQ the traditional burgers-n-dogs.

Our hostess Auntie Angela and her beautiful cabin home.

First Day of Fishing
First day of fishing for Nate and I commenced early with nothing to show.
But the afternoon has proven mildly productive.
I'm using Ultra Light and Light spinning gear, Nate is Flyfishing and Light spinning gear.
I'm brand new to trout, someone verify species for me, Rainbow and Brook?

I caught this 12.5" Bow(?) on a Mepps Comet Minnow drifting along a riffle, just barely keeping the lure facing down stream and picking up the slack.
First fish of the trip!

Nate scores on a Caddis Fly, 10" Brook(?), he saw the fish rising to feed and put the fly in it's face and it ate.
This boy is a freaking natural born fisherman, and rapidly becoming adept at fly casting.

This is the stream at the front of the cabin, we're fishing along about a 3/4 mile in either direction on a private road.
Very little traffic from other fishermen as it is walk-in only allowed and must have property owner permission.
We've carte blanche permission anywhere on this side of the creek road.

Most of the people out here either fly fish or use live bait.
Lots of minnows, small earthworms, wax worms and hellagrammites on #6 and smaller hooks with BB sized split shot.
Looks more like a brown trout, brookies have a reddish orange belly. beautiful cabin looks like your in for a great time. Enjoy 

Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky