When we were in Hawaii we found this little bar, it is an inside bar with ice cold beer, and AC. It was so hot there it was sickening 90* plus with 85% humidity = miserable heat. At home we get 100* plus days, but it's a dry heat, I hate being hot & wet with sweat, unless I'm in the water all day, which is what we did in Hawaii. We were either in the ocean snorkeling, or day drinking at the pool.
The first 5 nights we stayed at the Hilton, which was pretty in need of a complete renovation, and it's so spread out it's insane, the property is 65 acres. I got tired of that real quick. The next 9 nights we stayed at the Marriott Waikoloa Beach, which was perfect for us. We met the coolest people, and became friend with a couple from IL on their honeymoon. We introduced them to the bar we found, and met them either at the pool or the bar most nights.
The bar is called A-Bay's it's in the King's Market Place right across the street from our hotel, walking/ stumbling distance. The white stripe on the bar was ice like a hockey rink, it was there to set your drinks on to keep them cold, this was the first time I have ever seen this, it was awesome. I'm trying to figure out how to build a small one for our deck, next to the hot tub, grills and smokers. I WANT ONE!!!!
Their food was great, everything from Moco Loco, FRESH Fish, Pokie bowls, and great beef. At Happy Hour they had a $12 3/4'' thick NY strip steak that was amazing, so flavorful and tender. After ordering it for the 5th or 6th time I asked the Chef what he did to this meat. He said it's as easy as it gets, it was seasoned with a Hawaiian grilling salt mix that has garlic, red pepper flakes, black pepper, sweet Maui onion flakes, ginger, and some Hawaiian spices. I brought home a big jug of it, along with some plain, black, and red Hawaiian Sea Salt which is amazing, it really pep's up anything you put it on.
Last night, I didn't feel like cooking, because of the heat, so I made up a 20 minute dinner of Beef flap meat seasoned with the Hawaiian grilling mix. I was lazy so I cranked up the Weber Gasser to high heat. oiled the grill grates and threw the flap meat onto it for just a few minutes per side. Not even 15 minutes total, and that was a few minutes to long it was a touch over done/ not pink enough for our likes.
Then while it was resting, I through together a chopped green salad.
It was a 30 minute meal, that was great, I'll be throwing this into our rotation from now on. But I'll most likely buy a whole NY strip and cut some thin 1/2'' to 3/4'' thick and some an 1 1/4" for grilling. At A-Bay, they sliced the steak on the diagonal across the grain, and topped the steak with a garlic aioli and 4 crispy onion rings, all for $12.
Damn it was good, my flap meat attempt was very tasty, but needed more seasoning, the garlic aioli, onion rings and less time on the grill.
I'll add some photos in a few minutes from my phone, I'm on my laptop right now.,
Thanks for reading through all of my mumbo jumbo.
Dan.
The first 5 nights we stayed at the Hilton, which was pretty in need of a complete renovation, and it's so spread out it's insane, the property is 65 acres. I got tired of that real quick. The next 9 nights we stayed at the Marriott Waikoloa Beach, which was perfect for us. We met the coolest people, and became friend with a couple from IL on their honeymoon. We introduced them to the bar we found, and met them either at the pool or the bar most nights.
The bar is called A-Bay's it's in the King's Market Place right across the street from our hotel, walking/ stumbling distance. The white stripe on the bar was ice like a hockey rink, it was there to set your drinks on to keep them cold, this was the first time I have ever seen this, it was awesome. I'm trying to figure out how to build a small one for our deck, next to the hot tub, grills and smokers. I WANT ONE!!!!
Their food was great, everything from Moco Loco, FRESH Fish, Pokie bowls, and great beef. At Happy Hour they had a $12 3/4'' thick NY strip steak that was amazing, so flavorful and tender. After ordering it for the 5th or 6th time I asked the Chef what he did to this meat. He said it's as easy as it gets, it was seasoned with a Hawaiian grilling salt mix that has garlic, red pepper flakes, black pepper, sweet Maui onion flakes, ginger, and some Hawaiian spices. I brought home a big jug of it, along with some plain, black, and red Hawaiian Sea Salt which is amazing, it really pep's up anything you put it on.
Last night, I didn't feel like cooking, because of the heat, so I made up a 20 minute dinner of Beef flap meat seasoned with the Hawaiian grilling mix. I was lazy so I cranked up the Weber Gasser to high heat. oiled the grill grates and threw the flap meat onto it for just a few minutes per side. Not even 15 minutes total, and that was a few minutes to long it was a touch over done/ not pink enough for our likes.
Then while it was resting, I through together a chopped green salad.
It was a 30 minute meal, that was great, I'll be throwing this into our rotation from now on. But I'll most likely buy a whole NY strip and cut some thin 1/2'' to 3/4'' thick and some an 1 1/4" for grilling. At A-Bay, they sliced the steak on the diagonal across the grain, and topped the steak with a garlic aioli and 4 crispy onion rings, all for $12.
Damn it was good, my flap meat attempt was very tasty, but needed more seasoning, the garlic aioli, onion rings and less time on the grill.
I'll add some photos in a few minutes from my phone, I'm on my laptop right now.,
Thanks for reading through all of my mumbo jumbo.
Dan.
Last edited: