USDA PRIME BRISKET BURGERS

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 22, 2009
Central Florida (Sebring)
I was in Sam's a few days ago & they had Prime packers. This is the first time they have ever had them. I sure hope that this is something that they are going to carry from now on. Boy what a difference in Choice & Prime. Anyhow here is this guy, over 19#.
IMG_5498.JPG
IMG_5500.JPG
IMG_5502.JPG

I separated the point & flat & trimmed off all the fat, including the thin end of the flat & the small end of the point. I took the soft fat & saved it with the trimmed meat for grinding up into burgers.
IMG_5506.JPG

This is the bowl of scraps that the fish & turtles in our backyard pond will get this morning.

IMG_5508.JPG

I measured out cure, salt, sugar, & pickling spices for both the point & flat. Then vac packed them for a 2 week cure in the fridge. I will flip & massage them daily.

IMG_5510.JPG

I ran the meat & fat thru the grinder with the big plate first, then a second grind with the small plate.

IMG_5518.JPG
IMG_5520.JPG

We ended up with 6 lbs. of ground brisket. I made 12, 6 oz. patties to freeze.

IMG_5521.JPG

And we had exactly 1 lb. left, so I made 2 half pound burgers for dinner.

IMG_5524.JPG

A little bacon grease in the CI pan to get started!

IMG_5527.JPG

And in go the burgers.

IMG_5537.JPG

Flipped them one time.

IMG_5539.JPG

And added some baby Swiss cheese.

IMG_5543.JPG

Onto a homemade bun, with some ketchup! And a homemade pickle!

IMG_5549.JPG

Sliced in half & ready to eat!

IMG_5550.JPG

This was absolutely the best burger that either Judy or I have ever had!
I will be doing this every time I buy a brisket, I don't think I would enjoy a burger that wasn't ground brisket again. I'm definitely spoiled!
Al

Lights out al! Those burgers look great! I love prime packers. Have 4 or 5 in the freezer now.

Scott

Great lookin burger . Points for the multi use of the same cut of meat . Even the fish and turtles eat good at your house !

Reactions: yazamitaz
Those burgers look real good Al. My state doesn't even have a Sam's club, let alone brisket.

Point for sure.

Chris

Great post Al! I had asked this very same question in a thread last week. Now I have first hand knowledge. I wonder how much difference there would be between Prime and Choice for burgers. My local walmart clearances the choice briskets for for anywhere from $1.79-1.99 a pound when they get within a day or two of the sell by date. I can get choice at my local costco for $3.49 a pound but that requires a 25 mile drive

Looks AWESOME! I need to check Sam's out. Don't recall ever seeing prime stuff anywhere.

I gotta ask you describe the flavor. Restaurant burger taste or more like a steak or?

Awesome idea!

Thank-you my friend!
Al

Lights out al! Those burgers look great! I love prime packers. Have 4 or 5 in the freezer now.

Scott

Thanks Scott!
This is the first Prime packer I have ever had!
Hope it's not the last!
Al

Great lookin burger . Points for the multi use of the same cut of meat . Even the fish and turtles eat good at your house !

Thanks Buddy!
Yea, as soon as we walk up to the edge of the pond they all line up waiting for some scraps!
Al

Al They look great!! My Sams Club doesn't even have brisket.
Richie

Thanks Richie!
There is hope for you, our Sam's never had brisket either, then once in a while they would have a flat or two.
This is the first time they have had Prime packers, they hardly ever even have any Prime meat. I sure hope they continue to do this!
Al

Those burgers look real good Al. My state doesn't even have a Sam's club, let alone brisket.

Point for sure.

Chris

Thanks Chris!
Well that really sucks, I thought Sam's was everywhere. Although I have to drive 1 hour each way to get to mine.
When I lived in Ft. Lauderdale, we had 3 Costco's & 2 Sam's Clubs within a 15-20 minute drive from our house.
Al

Great post Al! I had asked this very same question in a thread last week. Now I have first hand knowledge. I wonder how much difference there would be between Prime and Choice for burgers. My local walmart clearances the choice briskets for for anywhere from $1.79-1.99 a pound when they get within a day or two of the sell by date. I can get choice at my local costco for $3.49 a pound but that requires a 25 mile drive

I don't think there would be much difference between the two if your making burgers. I think what made the burgers so good was a second pass thru the grinder with the small plate & the amount of fat that I added to the meat. I'm just guessing, but I bet the final mix was somewhere around 60/40. I used the real soft fat, none of that hard stuff. And the burgers just melted in your mouth.
Al

Looks AWESOME! I need to check Sam's out. Don't recall ever seeing prime stuff anywhere.

I gotta ask you describe the flavor. Restaurant burger taste or more like a steak or?

Our Sam's never carried Prime meat until this last visit, I sure hope they continue.
To my wife & myself the flavor was just amazing, we both took a bite & just looked at each other, like Holy s#%*, this is incredible. It was the most tender & juicy burger I have ever eaten. If you had dentures, you could leave them out & gum these. I have never had Kobe beef, but I would expect that kind of taste & texture. And the crazy thing is all that fat I added into the meat usually get's thrown out to the fish, and the thin sections of the brisket that I used for the burgers usually get over cooked by the time the main part is done. So I ended up with 6 lbs. of burgers that in reality were just stuff that wouldn't have gotten eaten.
Al

Reactions: zwiller
Oh Yeah!!
I'm betting those Burgers are Fantastic!!:)
If I could get a Brisket like that around here, I'd have to get two---One for Burgers, like this & one to smoke the whole packer. I never even saw Prime Brisket around here!!
Nice Job, Al !!
Like.

Bear

That is one tasty lookin brisky burger Al, very nice!

Thanks Justin!
I appreciate it!
Al

Oh Yeah!!
I'm betting those Burgers are Fantastic!!:)
If I could get a Brisket like that around here, I'd have to get two---One for Burgers, like this & one to smoke the whole packer. I never even saw Prime Brisket around here!!
Nice Job, Al !!
Like.

Bear

Thanks John!
This is the first one I've seen too, hope there are more to come!
Al

That looks outstanding

Thank you Kade!
Al

Great write up Al and welcome to the world of a Prime beef burger!!! The flavor is ridiculous!

Oh there is a noticeable difference between a prime burger vs a choice burger provided everything is cooked properly.

I can give a little input here. The taste is like a very rich savory beef flavor. I wouldn't really compare it to steak flavor as there are a number of different things going on with steak.

I've spent quite a bit of time in Australia in my life and their food quality is much higher than the US. This seems to be a luxury they have since they don't have to feed more than 24 million people (population last time I was there) lol.

When you eat a burger or buy ground (minced) beef it all seems to be Prime quality. They had the BEST burgers simply from the fact that you are (when I was there) always eating Prime ground beef!
It is freaking amazing! Just think you go in the grocery store and all the ground beef is prime, no other option hahaha.

I don't know if things have changed in this regard since 2008 (last time I was there) but man the quality of meat there is/was outstanding!

Prime burgers are worth it. Also good quality Bison (American Buffalo) burgers are outstanding as well.
If you live near a Ted Turner's Montana Grill go get a bison burger ASAP!!!! :)

Wow those look great! That's what I was planning on doing with my brisket trimmings from now on since I got a meat grinder. One thing about Sams, we got a prime from there the other day. Funny thing is, each packer, choice or prime (they were right next to each other) was a different price per pound. There was one choice that was more $$ per lb than the prime that I got. I thought it was interesting and couldn't tell you why each brisket was priced differently. I haven't smoked it yet but it will be my first prime! The marbling on the prime didn't look much different than the choice briskets but since a few of the primes were actually cheaper by 1-2$ per pound I got a prime! lol

Dont smoke it then Al, costco carries prime packers and i cant smoke another brisket ever again, now i wanna grind some burgers and try them.

I've never had Prime! Those burgers look fantastic! I am not a fan of corned beef, my better half would be all over it though.

Mike

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky