USDA PRIME BRISKET BURGERS

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
From what I’ve seen at my Sam’s, the reason the choice is more expensive is because it’s not actually a full packer. It’s a flat that has been trimmed of most if not all of the fat cap. The prime packer has several pounds of fat still on it. So once you trim it, the price per pound of actual meat probably works out to where the prime is more expensive. I’ve never seen a point for sale on its own, so I don’t know what effect that has on the price of the packer.

That makes sense to me, but what I don't understand is why don't they sell just the point?
I would buy those all day long. The only time you see a point cut is after it's been cured & packed up as a corned beef point. You know this gives me an idea, when corned beef goes on sale next St. Patty's Day, I may buy a bunch of them & make corned beef burgers!
Al

Looked at Cash and Carry Ads, and Low and behold! Guess I will be making some brisket burgers soon.
View attachment 363010

Go for it Man! You won't be disappointed!
Al

Oh man Al, that looks fantastic! At that price (I get it about the same), it is still cheaper than ground beef chubs in my area, so I too like to use brisket for ground meat.

The only ground meat I personally like better than brisket is a nicely marbled tri-tip, which we can get for less than $3/lb at C&C.

I would love to try the TT, but around here it's very expensive & you have to order it from the butcher. Nobody has it in their meat case. I don't know why.
Al

Well Al,
You have me convinced.

4.jpg
5.jpg
3.jpg
2.jpg
1.jpg

I ground a whole brisket into burger, minus trim and some fat. Phantastic!

Last edited:
Man those burgers look awesome!
The next time I think I will do the same as you, just grind up the whole brisket.
Al

Hey I have an odd burger question.

How many of you like your burger patty to be bigger than the bun?
Meaning you see the patty sticking out some from the bun if you lay the patty on the bottom bun and then put the top bun on the patty, and look down on the burger. I'm funny that way that I like my patties bigger than my buns lol.
I also fork and knife my burgers because they just have too much stuff going on for me to grab (ketchup, miracle whip, onions, tomato, jalapenos, lettuce, bacon, cheese, etc.)

Reactions: mike5051
Thanks All and Mike. Yielded just over 13 lbs of ground beef. Vac sealed up the other 10 lbs and in the freezer. I'll make patties as needed, but they sure are handy premade for quick dinner nights.

Hey I have an odd burger question.

How many of you like your burger patty to be bigger than the bun?
Meaning you see the patty sticking out some from the bun if you lay the patty on the bottom bun and then put the top bun on the patty, and look down on the burger. I'm funny that way that I like my patties bigger than my buns lol.
I also fork and knife my burgers because they just have too much stuff going on for me to grab (ketchup, miracle whip, onions, tomato, jalapenos, lettuce, bacon, cheese, etc.)
I like my burgers bigger then the bun also. I also will do whatever it takes to eat my burger without a knife and fork! Not judging you, just my feelings. I feel a little embarassed if I have to cut my burger in half to eat it. Great Question!

Mike

I kind of keep my burgers simple, a couple slices of cheese, and maybe a little ketchup.
I eat them with my hands, no knife & fork here!
Al

I'm with Al on not overloading my Burger & keeping it Simple, but I'm with Tall on using a fork, but I think my Mustache is to blame for the use of a fork.

Bear

I'm funny about using a fork and knife. It's for 2 reasons.
1) I will be wearing most of my food if I don't eat it with utensils, wearing food is important for me to avoid hahaha.
2) I don't care to get too messy if I can avoid it, probably because messy hands usually leads me back to point 1 hahaha :)

I think loading up my burgers is a side effect of eating so many taco's and burrito dishes my whole life. With that kind of food it gets better with the more stuff you add. That approach seems to carry over into my burgers and sandwiches :D

As for the burger being bigger than the bun, I guess that's because it makes the meat the star of the show and growing up eating so many fast food burgers they tried to give you a ton of bread and as little meat as possible. I don't do fast food anymore but I think it definitely shaped how I try to make my burgers the opposite way.

I'm with Al on not overloading my Burger & keeping it Simple, but I'm with Tall on using a fork, but I think my Mustache is to blame for the use of a fork.

Bear

I'm funny about using a fork and knife. It's for 2 reasons.
1) I will be wearing most of my food if I don't eat it with utensils, wearing food is important for me to avoid hahaha.
2) I don't care to get too messy if I can avoid it, probably because messy hands usually leads me back to point 1 hahaha :)

I think loading up my burgers is a side effect of eating so many taco's and burrito dishes my whole life. With that kind of food it gets better with the more stuff you add. That approach seems to carry over into my burgers and sandwiches :D

As for the burger being bigger than the bun, I guess that's because it makes the meat the star of the show and growing up eating so many fast food burgers they tried to give you a ton of bread and as little meat as possible. I don't do fast food anymore but I think it definitely shaped how I try to make my burgers the opposite way.

Eating a burger with a fork! HA! That reminds me of a place 10 minutes down the road where utensils are mandatory. I need a burger now.
7D016E0C-0490-455B-AF11-4B6DFD28AC7B.jpeg

D2D20FA5-E015-4A68-8494-9CCB2541DDAA.jpeg

Sorry for the hijack Al

Reactions: tallbm
What would be the best method:

Grind a whole brisket, form into patties on the hamburger press, then season with SPOG, vacuum seal, let sit in fridge for a day and then freeze, or just freeze the whole brisket until needed and only take off portions?

Personally I will grind ahead. You can either make patties ahead or just freeze packages of burger to make whatever. I do some of both.

Prime brisket/ribeye smash burgers. Sorry no pictures of the final assembly. Was just happy to finally get a great crust.

burger.jpg

Grind a whole brisket, form into patties on the hamburger press, then season with SPOG, vacuum seal, let sit in fridge for a day and then freeze, or just freeze the whole brisket until needed and only take off portions?

I would avoid salting them early.

I saw a very detailed blog or website that very very scientifically went about discovering why some burger patties come out nice like burgers we all have had and some come out very dense.

They concluded that the longer Salt is in the meat the more dense a patty will become when cooked due to the salt making the proteins want to bind together (that's the simple explanation that I remember).
Additionally if you put Salt and then work the meat that combo makes even DENSER patties when they cook since the proteins were broken down some and then can reform even easier.

So long story short I think you could get away with POG but I would definitely avoid putting the salt on them and then storing.

When I make burgers I LOVE the flavor I get form working in SPOG and then making the patties but I disliked the dense patties that I would often accidentally produce by working the seasoning into the meat in a bowl before making patties and throwing on the grill. My process is like only a 10 min process too so the salt acts quickly!

My solution is simply to mix in POG thoroughly and then take the bowl full of seasoned meat out to the grill. There I salt the meat and work it in very quickly (30 sec -1min). I immediately form a patty right there and throw it on the grill. This method gives me the amazing SPOG flavor I want WITHOUT any patties becoming even remotely dense. Just perfect patties!

I hope this info helps :)

Personally I will grind ahead. You can either make patties ahead or just freeze packages of burger to make whatever. I do some of both.

I agree, I would grind ahead of time, we make 1 lb. packages & about 1 dozen burgers. We form the burgers & freeze them on a cookie sheet lined with freezer paper. Then when they are fully frozen they get vac packed. This way they keep their shape, no seasoning at all until they are cooked. The one lb. packages get vacuumed right away then spread out in the bag to form a flat sheet, this way they take up a lot less freezer space.
Al

Prime brisket/ribeye smash burgers. Sorry no pictures of the final assembly. Was just happy to finally get a great crust.

View attachment 365214

Your burger looks great!
Al

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky